Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:04 AM

360 posts, read 1,019,264 times

Advertisements

Community-College Students Perform Worse Online Than Face to Face - Community Colleges - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Figured, I'd post this link for those considering online degrees, since this comes up so often on this forum. It seems the lack of structure and face-to-face support makes it harder for students to finish the course, particularly at-risk students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 09:11 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
My wife made the mistake of taking one of her courses via an online session because it was the only one available. Big Mistake! The profressors pile on MORE WORK with unrealistic deadlines.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:27 AM

360 posts, read 1,019,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
My wife made the mistake of taking one of her courses via an online session because it was the only one available. Big Mistake! The profressors pile on MORE WORK with unrealistic deadlines.
I've heard that a lot from friends doing online programs. One of my friends just finished an online grad program through Boston University and the assignments she had to do were insane, particularly the amount of reading. I haven't done an entirely online course yet - mainly because my program is JUST starting to offer a few (and the ones they're offering are things I've already taken in the classroom) but I kind of already know online isn't going to be the format for me with the way I learn.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:59 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
I think on-line courses are fine for someone who is used to doing university level work. I don't think they are appropriate for kids out of high school who are just starting college. I think they need that face/class time and experience.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:27 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
I don't think this is the biggest problem with online schools. I think the biggest problem is quality of learning. In a classroom environment you learn how to work together with other people and learn from eachother as well as the professor. This is missing in the online environment.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:44 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
We need more instructors who have the skills to teach an online class. It takes a different type of method to teach an online class to keep the students motivated, engaged, etc. It won't work for every student but it will make an online class much more effective for both instructor and student.
I've taken online classes at a community college for: Biology I, Community Health, Microeconomics, History Part 1 & 2, US Government, Web Design, Intro to Networking.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,903,762 times
I'm not surprised, but as with many studies reported by the media, I think there's more to the story.

For example, the study merely tracks the number of students who enrolled in an online course and then later dropped it. Dropping a course is not the same thing as dropping out of college. Merely dropping a course could suggest many things: 1)the student realized that they preferred to attend in person; or 2)the enrollment process makes it easier to add/drop an online course than it does a campus course...just to name a few possibilities. The article compares drop out rates among community college students online vs. campus. Is there a point difference between online and campus students at the university or graduate level? I wouldn't be surprised if there is, and that then suggests that the culprit is not the intellectual or academic capabilities of the community college students in this study, but something else.

All that said, I wouldn't be surprised if many students enroll online because they think it will be easier. That they can slack off and no one will know if they 'skip class'. I am an online graduate student and every quarter in the beginning-of-the-term orientation session there is at least one new student who asks questions and comments that clearly show they expect to only have to do a bit of work on the weekends, will have no assignment deadlines, or even choose their own curriculum. Obviously these people don't last long.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:43 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,851 times
Default Not surprised by the report...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
Figured, I'd post this link for those considering online degrees, since this comes up so often on this forum. It seems the lack of structure and face-to-face support makes it harder for students to finish the course, particularly at-risk students.
Definitely for students new to the college environment and/or who are already at-risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Yep. They do. They don't trust you are learning because there is no in-face discussion each week. So, legit programs pile on reading and writing assignments. It's no cake walk; sorry your wife had to go through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
I've heard that a lot from friends doing online programs. One of my friends just finished an online grad program through Boston University and the assignments she had to do were insane, particularly the amount of reading. I haven't done an entirely online course yet - mainly because my program is JUST starting to offer a few (and the ones they're offering are things I've already taken in the classroom) but I kind of already know online isn't going to be the format for me with the way I learn.
So true! I wish more people would consider the way they learn when deciding on an online program; also, they should consider how well they did in undergrad...not just GPA, but did they understand the concepts and the requirements for college-level work? Because online work is actually double face-to-face work! The extra work is to compensate for the professor not seeing you. I'm totally convinced that's what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I think on-line courses are fine for someone who is used to doing university level work. I don't think they are appropriate for kids out of high school who are just starting college. I think they need that face/class time and experience.
100% agree.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 PM

624 posts, read 1,247,273 times
Is it harder to cheat online?

Old 07-21-2011, 05:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Face to Faced has worked for centuries. I think it's stupid that universities are trying to go online to save money.

Any educational benefits of online education can be attained by hybrid methods. Adding an online component to existing classroom classes. Many B&M schools already do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities