Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 09:23 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
CJ might be one of the worst degrees out there. You dont need one to do any of the CJ jobs like a cop or probation officer. They give you all the training you need. Most cops dont have CJ degrees. Also no such thing as "pre-law" this is not degree or minor that is "pre-law".
While true that you don't need one to be a cop, I disagree that most cops don't have one.

Of the officers that do have a degree, a large amount do in fact have CJ degrees. You also don't need to be a MP to become a cop. Yet a lot of cops with military experience were MP's. They don't neccesarily give them a boost, but many of those interested in pursuing a law enforcement career tend to self select into them.

There are also certain agencies that set out a list of preferred degrees. While CJ is hardly alone, many liberal arts degrees are excluded from the list. Such as this: DEA (http://www.justice.gov/dea/job/agent/bef_qualifications.html - broken link)

It is hardly one of the worst degrees. It is equal to and possibly somewhat better than the other liberal arts/humanities/social science degrees that don't directly lead to anything except education. At least CJ has some application to the private security industry, connections to law enforcement/corrections and also offers a less rigid schedule that is more flexible for those working. It's also just as good as any other degree for those jobs that just require any degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 10:04 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,515 times
I have a BS in Criminal Justice and it hasn't gotten me anywhere in terms of finding a job.

I have been unemployed for 2.5 yrs.

I would skip on getting a CJ degree. Most of the info in CJ programs is a bunch of theory-based crap and will not get you a job in the field of CJ.

If you are dead set on CJ, get a minor in it and major in something practical like accounting or computer science.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:41 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
I have a BS in Criminal Justice and it hasn't gotten me anywhere in terms of finding a job.

I have been unemployed for 2.5 yrs.

I would skip on getting a CJ degree. Most of the info in CJ programs is a bunch of theory-based crap and will not get you a job in the field of CJ.

If you are dead set on CJ, get a minor in it and major in something practical like accounting or computer science.
And I managed to find employment within 1 month of graduation (I graduated during this economic downturn). The opportunities I took advantage of through my CJ department are directly responsible for me securing employment.

Now, if OP has the capability and desire for accounting or comp sci...sure go for it. It is likely a safer bet than a CJ degree. But most who ask about CJ and pre law aren't the type who would go after a comp sci degree.

My final word of advice to OP...you need to pick CJ or pre law (through a degree such as Poli Sci), as they are very different and generally not compatible. Top law schools do not like CJ degrees and many local/state law enforcement agencies may think advanced degrees are overqualified (not to mention the pay will disappoint if you have grad/law school loans). A bacehlor's is good, but after that many departments would prefer to see life experience over additional academics in your background.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:03 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,515 times
[quote=th3vault;20258336]And I managed to find employment within 1 month of graduation (I graduated during this economic downturn). The opportunities I took advantage of through my CJ department are directly responsible for me securing employment.

So where are you working now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities