Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 10:03 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
These days, I know that isn't too uncommon... but you still have a BETTER chance of landing a "professional" job with that degree, as opposed to having only a HS diploma (or nothing). Right?
Most people with PhDs don't look for "professional jobs." They either enter academia as professors / researchers, or they perform research for governmental institutions like NASA, the Department of Education or the EPA. For-profit businesses prefer experienced employees without "too much education." If the PhD waiter wanted to enter "industry" (as academics call the "professional" world) instead of academe or gov't research, it's no wonder why he/she is stuck at a "survival job." The person may also be working as a post-doc researcher or an adjunct professor, and may be waiting tables on the side to bring in extra income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 08:47 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
In a hypothetical scenario, if you were given the opportunity, would you accept a full refund for your college tuition and all cost associated with it..ie tuition,books, supplies, room and board in exchange for giving up your degree?
Absolutely not, since it was crucial in obtaining every job I've held in my field (I graduated with one of those so-called "useless" art degrees, at that! )

Old 09-07-2011, 10:19 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Perhaps a partial refund. It was an expensive program, mostly because it was at a private school. But, it did open doors for me, and I do work in the general field I got the degree in, though not in the specific occupation I set out for - but I did for a time. I make ok money, but not anywhere what I anticipated I'd be making at this point. Had I gotten this same degree from a public school, I think I'd be more satisfied with my cost-of-degree-to-earnings ratio.

I must admit I constantly wrestle with the thought of going back to college/university to pursue a higher degree and a complete career change, though.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:16 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,865,528 times
Yes, then I could use that money to pursue something that has value without the debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities