Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:14 PM

880 posts, read 1,799,499 times

Advertisements

Can you take some courses toward your bachelors ( not general ed ) but major courses or ones pertaining to a degree and apply those courses at another school down the road say in case you have to move before you finish?

Example - you take computer sciences course at one CSU and apply them to another CSU to complete a degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 10:38 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
I don't see why not, as long as the first university is accredited.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:59 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
As long as both institutions are regionally accredited and the receiving college feels the courses are similar, yes, you can do that. As stated, it is up to the receiving college to decide if the courses are the same. Western Civ 101 is going to be the same, while Hst 427 mat not be, however it may still count as an elective.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Yes.

It's called transfer credits.

I transferred credits when I moved here, and I got a waver so that in my last 30 hours I could do some schooling at a different school (I've exceeded the hour per term limits trying to get this done in a timely manner)

WATCH OUT:
You CANNOT take 99% of your classes at 'Nowheresville Community College' and then transfer to Harvard for one class and get the degree from Harvard.

They have minimum credit hours.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 AM

155 posts, read 291,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
As long as both institutions are regionally accredited
The type of accreditation should not prevent the transfer of credits...there is no statute the prevents transfer of credits from a Nationally accredited institution to a Regionally accredited insitution. The USDE recognizes both types of accreditation as legitimate.

Quote:
As stated, it is up to the receiving college to decide if the courses are the same.
Yes, I agree.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Some colleges are very picky about that. Years ago my husband wanted to finish his bachelors degree after attending a four year University for one year and then a community college for 2 years. He applied to three colleges as a transfer student and only one would accept him as Junior. The others wanted him to start as a sophomore. It was understandable that some of the credits wouldn't transfer and he expected that but there was no way he wanted to pay one more year for classes he had already taken.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:05 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katet View Post
The type of accreditation should not prevent the transfer of credits...there is no statute the prevents transfer of credits from a Nationally accredited institution to a Regionally accredited insitution. The USDE recognizes both types of accreditation as legitimate.

Yes, I agree.

It's up to the school--not the USDE. So yes, you had most certainly better do your research if you intend to transfer credit from a nationally accredited school to a regionally accredited school.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
It's up to the school--not the USDE. So yes, you had most certainly better do your research if you intend to transfer credit from a nationally accredited school to a regionally accredited school.
The USDE does require institutions to have a policy on transfer credits, but does not spell out those requirements. My only point was the type of accreditation does not in of itself prevent the transfer of credits; it is up to institution.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:11 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,079 times
Every reputable school has a "residency" requirement for graduation - meaning that to get a degree from the school the last however many credits must be completed THERE. (Usually it's at least 30 but it varies from school to school.)

Online credits from a diploma mill like U of Phoenix, Strayer, ITT, DeVry generally WON'T transfer to your local state U or anywhere else other than another diploma mill. (Degrees from these places also generally WON'T qualify you for admission to most grad schools but that's another issue)

Regarding upper division (ie, non entry level courses), it does get tricky. I recall at my undergrad (a private university) a lot of people who did 2 years at a community college and finished with an AS/AA didn't have many more credits transfer beyond their first year and came in as sophomores - one girl I know even came in as a freshman since she was majoring in physical therapy (back when PT was a 5 year program).

The best instances of transferring credits (when most if not all of your credits transfer) are when you either go to a community college that has an agreement with a 4 year school (which most do), or where you go from one school in a state system to another.

Also of note is that credits generally won't transfer after a lot of years have gone by. For example, let's say you went to college in the 90s, did a few years, didn't finish a degree and want to go back now and transfer the credits you finished. Most science/math/computer classes from then won't transfer to most schools.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
Online credits from a diploma mill like U of Phoenix, Strayer, ITT, DeVry generally WON'T transfer to your local state U or anywhere else other than another diploma mill.
In consideration of Diploma Mills and the transeferability of credits, there is an actual designation for Diploma Mills. The Department of Education views any institution that is unaccredited or operating under false premises related to accreditation as a Diploma Mill.

UofP, Strayer, ITT, and DeVry are not Diploma Mills. All of them, except ITT, are Regionally Accredited and approved to operate by their respective state agencies and the US Department of Education. Therefore, all of them have transfer credit policies. Believe it or not, they will often reject credits from traditional colleges/universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities