Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 02:57 PM

912 posts, read 1,331,404 times

Advertisements

Really I don't think they misrepresented their data .The people that graduated found work in other areas .So if they have a job and told the school ,they compile the data and come out with a percentage .This woman should have some common sense too,one thing this world ,doesn't need is more lawyers

Old 08-06-2011, 03:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Do you sue the guitar teacher for not becoming a rock star? Or does the guitar teacher deserve half of what you make if you do?

Old 08-06-2011, 03:10 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
. There are no guarantees of employment.
In a world that demands that you need money for the necessities of life, there should be. You can't demand money for things and then not provide a way to get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Also, the McDonald's case - there were tons of memos that McDonald's ignored the problem in favor of profits. And she wasn't just burned, her hose was melted into her leg.
But SHE put the effing cup between her legs !!! HER fault ! That was the one of the dumbest cases EVER.

Now you can't get a cup of coffee anymore that stays hot because of this dumbass lawsuit.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:26 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
I agree with others in saying that no school is under any contractual obligation to guarantee that you find a job after you complete your education. Schools don't typically makes such guarantees.

A think it's a reflection of the poor state of today's youth to even suggest such a suit. College is a place for you to get an education. This education places you at a higher vantage point so that YOU can find a suitable job.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:17 PM

30,247 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
For those of you on here that are either lawyers or know a lot about civil laws, do you think someone could sue their college if that person did not get a job and wanted their tuition money back?

I know some of you might say that you would need to prove that the college is liable for you not getting a job. Well, I looked through several college course catalogs and admissions packet and did not see any disclaimers.

What would a civil lawyer say if someone walked into their office and said, "I want to sue my college because I didn't get a job. "

I know this is a different story/topic, but many years ago, someone sued McDonalds (and won) because that person spilled hot coffee on themselves and at the time, the McDonalds coffee cups did not have a disclaimer that warned about hot coffee.
Is this a joke? You're joking, right? Are you doing a study for a paper or something? You cannot be serious here.

Please tell me you are not serious. This is fricken stupid and ridiculous. If you didn't get the job, that is not the fault of the college you attended.

Getting a job is not just about your education, it's also about experience, your demeanor, your attitude, your appearance and it's also about luck and sometimes, who you know.

Again I ask, you're JOKING, right?!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:16 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
Really I don't think they misrepresented their data .The people that graduated found work in other areas .So if they have a job and told the school ,they compile the data and come out with a percentage .This woman should have some common sense too,one thing this world ,doesn't need is more lawyers

Law schools misrepresent their data all the time.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:49 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
In a world that demands that you need money for the necessities of life, there should be. You can't demand money for things and then not provide a way to get them.

But SHE put the effing cup between her legs !!! HER fault ! That was the one of the dumbest cases EVER.

Now you can't get a cup of coffee anymore that stays hot because of this dumbass lawsuit.
The car was not moving. She was not the driver. And the plaintiff was held to be 20% responsible by the jury for having done so. However, she was also not aware that it was company policy to hold coffee at a temperature which is, essentially, unconsumable (because at >180 degrees F it would cause third degree burns to one's mouth, as well as one's lap).
I'd suggest you read the facts before forming opinions. Here's one site, but google will get you dozens of others:
McDonalds Lawsuit | McDonalds Hot Coffee Lawsuit

Old 08-07-2011, 06:46 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Seems like your time and resources would be better spent trying to find work.

Was this a for-profit?

Old 08-07-2011, 07:26 PM

327 posts, read 568,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
For those of you on here that are either lawyers or know a lot about civil laws, do you think someone could sue their college if that person did not get a job and wanted their tuition money back?

I know some of you might say that you would need to prove that the college is liable for you not getting a job. Well, I looked through several college course catalogs and admissions packet and did not see any disclaimers.

What would a civil lawyer say if someone walked into their office and said, "I want to sue my college because I didn't get a job. "

I know this is a different story/topic, but many years ago, someone sued McDonalds (and won) because that person spilled hot coffee on themselves and at the time, the McDonalds coffee cups did not have a disclaimer that warned about hot coffee.
you could only sue them if they had a duty to get you a job and they don't so no you can't sue them.

you could also sue if there was a contract between you and the school like in return for your tuition we promise you will get a job - and since no school makes such a promise, again, no you can't sue them.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:31 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Can you get sued for punching a person who sues their college cos they're unable to find a job in the face?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities