Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 04:14 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,834 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of doing a double major in Education and Pyschology or Sociology.
If I pick pschology to double major with education, then I want to minor in Sociology or vise versa.
So any thoughts, experience??/ Also if anyone teaches, do you mind sharing your experiences and what you teach?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 04:18 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Depends on where you live but in our state that degree combination would not allow you to teach here. If you want to go the psychology/sociology route you need to get a degree in Social Science with a minor in secondary education so check the licensing requirements in your state. If you are going to teach elementary ed, you should be ok but you would be better off with getting a more practical second major for that in math or special education.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:22 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
For teaching, all you need is education. Double majors and minors are pretty irrelevant unless it's something really useful, like maybe Spanish.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:49 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,834 times
Well I am fluent in spanish and I plan on taking the Clep Exam in Spanish. I live in NYS and want to be an elementary teacher, I was thinking that if I understood both the principles of psychology and sociology it would help me better understand kids' behaviors. I know that as a major psychology is completley useless and I would never go into school having that be my only major.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:14 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
What about an education/child development double major?

Old 08-10-2011, 07:09 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Well I am fluent in spanish and I plan on taking the Clep Exam in Spanish. I live in NYS and want to be an elementary teacher, I was thinking that if I understood both the principles of psychology and sociology it would help me better understand kids' behaviors. I know that as a major psychology is completley useless and I would never go into school having that be my only major.

Unlikely those things would help. Most education programs include a class in child psychology or early childhood development. I can't see how sociology would be useful. I think you would benefit more from more education classes and maybe some extra early childhood development classes. Just take a few electives in the other areas. You would benefit more from more classes in education or in the area you want to teach, rather than have a bunch of majors and minors.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
You should have some child psychology classes as part of your Elementary Education major coursework. Those will be more applicable then just a general psychology but you are right, they DO help you understand why kids do what they do. Again, with the thousands of people getting elementary education degrees you need to set yourself apart. You will be more marketable to a district if you have a specialty they can use--concentration in math, special ed, reading, etc. If you have experience in a sport or activity, getting certified to coach or be an adviser for an activity is also beneficial. I know in our high school they are trying to find people that are certified to teach driver's education/behind the wheel. Two of the teachers that teach that wanted to retire about 5 years ago but the district wouldn't "let" them . They are finally retiring because they found someone to replace them, finally. Any little extra you can add that is useful will help--the psych/sociology courses are not helpful--but you can still take them as an elective if you want to.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 AM

257 posts, read 751,137 times
As a NY teacher, I can tell you that your best bet forva double major would be Elementary Ed and Bilingual Special Ed. Not sure exactly where you are in NY, but where I am the job market is extremely competitive. This might actually give you a chance of getting a job pretty quickly post graduation. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities