Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 03:17 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSUAccountingGuy View Post
Ugh. NJ youre acting as if Princeton is some small-time liberal arts school. It's one of the most selective colleges in the nation. Of course the placement will be good.

My friend from Columbia in NY graduated with a sociology degree and a GPA <2.5 and got a 40K entry level job this month. (He graduates at the end of the summer.)
Both schools are good values imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 05:12 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETSUAccountingGuy View Post
Ugh. NJ youre acting as if Princeton is some small-time liberal arts school. It's one of the most selective colleges in the nation. Of course the placement will be good.
I agree, he's being silly. We all know what Princeton is and why their job placement numbers are so high.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katet View Post
No worries. Thanks. If Princenton University has those kind of numbers, I may need to relocate to NJ and prep my little one to attend Princeton.
lol, if your little one can get into an Ivy League school, (and you can figure out a way to pay for it) more power to him/her.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:19 PM

My take on college these days: don't be a sucka.

There, I've summarized pages and pages worth of tedious expounding for everyone.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:23 PM

327 posts, read 568,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
My take on college these days: don't be a sucka.

There, I've summarized pages and pages worth of tedious expounding for everyone.
The unemployemnt rate for college grads is around 4%.
For high school grads it's around 9-10%.
For those with neither, it's about 16% percent.

So I can't see your point, frankly. Get into the best college you can and be prepared to pay for it. One of the best investments you can make.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:47 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Princeton is also one of the most generous schools around for providing financial aid to less than affluent students who attend school there. IIRC, the typical Princeton student from a middle class family pays less per year and ends up with a lower student loan burden after graduation than the student at most flagship public universities.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Princeton is also one of the most generous schools around for providing financial aid to less than affluent students who attend school there. IIRC, the typical Princeton student from a middle class family pays less per year and ends up with a lower student loan burden after graduation than the student at most flagship public universities.
I'm aware Ivy League schools have been a bit more progressive in addressing financial concerns of lower income families. Their huge endowments and popularity allows them pull PR stunts like that. I also probably buy that they, being among the most prestigious schools in the country, do actually care about attracting the absolute top talent regardless of socioeconomics. It's good "business" for them, so to speak.

But the real trick is getting admitted at all. Most of those schools only accept ~10-15% of the people that apply. I'm not going to make any absurd claims that a degree from a school like Princeton isn't worth anything...it will probably get you a job somewhere on the name alone, but again, it's a club they only let you into if you're exceptional in some way to begin with. Getting into schools like that isn't realistic for the vast majority of college bound kids.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I'm aware Ivy League schools have been a bit more progressive in addressing financial concerns of lower income families. Their huge endowments and popularity allows them pull PR stunts like that. I also probably buy that they, being among the most prestigious schools in the country, do actually care about attracting the absolute top talent regardless of socioeconomics. It's good "business" for them, so to speak.

But the real trick is getting admitted at all. Most of those schools only accept ~10-15% of the people that apply. I'm not going to make any absurd claims that a degree from a school like Princeton isn't worth anything...it will probably get you a job somewhere on the name alone, but again, it's a club they only let you into if you're exceptional in some way to begin with. Getting into schools like that isn't realistic for the vast majority of college bound kids.
It's not just the Ivy's, there are a whole host of schools out there that will meet 100% of demonstrated financial need--feel free to google that. Also, many "regular" private schools, many with acceptance rates in the 75% or better range have huge endowments and also come forward with very nice aid packages.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:11 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
And that $2500 might just be money down the toilet if your credits don't transfer.....Most 4 year schools here do NOT take CC credit transfers, heck they rarely take transfer credits from other 4 year schools.
They will, my CC is part of the KCTCS, which has agreements with all the Kentucky Universities, and Murray State has a satellite campus at my CC, which I will be going to after my 2yr degree is finished.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:24 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It's not just the Ivy's, there are a whole host of schools out there that will meet 100% of demonstrated financial need--feel free to google that. Also, many "regular" private schools, many with acceptance rates in the 75% or better range have huge endowments and also come forward with very nice aid packages.
Berea College comes to mind. No student admitted there pays tuition. They have a 100% scholarship payment.

Berea&rsquo;s Tuition Scholarship | Admissions - Berea College (http://www.berea.edu/admissions/financialaidscholarships/tuitionscholarship.asp - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities