Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 06:48 PM

117 posts, read 244,928 times

Advertisements

I am willing to apply for that university soon. Can someone please give me some general information about it? In addition, what are its ratings and rankings?
In addition, if I want to apply for a scholorship, what will I need to do?
Also, since I live in Quebec, I will be graduating at 11th grade rather than 12th grade (that's how school systems are here). Eventually, Quebec students go to CEGEP (a 2 year program that prepares Quebec high school graduates for university). Would Clarkson accept someone who skips CEGEP and directly goes to their university immediately after graduating 11th grade?
Thanks for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 07:33 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
You can find lots of good information on the Collegeboard.com site. For more specific information, it's probably best to contact the school's Admissions Office directly.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
happy345 - You really should contact Clarkson directly with your specific questions.

My son and I visited Clarkson a year ago. We thought it seemed pretty isolated and my son didn't like how many of the classes would be with over 30 students. However, my BIL and his son liked it very much and it was on my nephews short list.

This link may help: Clarkson University: International Students & Scholars Office

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:03 PM

Thank you both!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:25 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,377 times
I graduated from Clarkson a few years back... and honestly.... I can't recommend the school. The professors are very research-oriented, only teaching because they have to. I use the word 'teach' in the loosest sense... as nearly every professor there has spent NO time working in the real world and has spent their entire life in academia. Most can't teach their way out of a paper bag, and half can't speak a word of English.

As far as the school itself, it's vastly overpriced... not just the tuition but also the housing and food. Get ready to freeze in the winter with temps averaging 20 below, and pray that you don't break a leg from the completely lax maintenance people not clearing sidewalks and parking lots.

When you're looking at schools... I would put finding one with the majority professors having spent some time working outside of academia for a bare minimum of 10 years at the top of your 'want' list. I'd also recommend looking at the state/public universities for the best value... unless you get an amazing (>75%) tuition assistance/scholarship package. I would also suggest a university with a wide variety of majors... otherwise your selection of mandatory liberal arts classes will be incredibly painful.

FYI, I graduated with an engineering degree... not the foo foo business garbage.

Also, I respectfully disagree with the poster saying to get information from the admissions people. They are just glorified car salesmen (apologies for dragging the car sales people down with those lowlifes)... same goes with the student tour guides. Their only job is to get you to sign on the dotted line to get your tuition money. If you visit the ratemyprofessors site you can sometimes get a slightly better idea of the school's quality.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
I graduated from Clarkson a few years back... and honestly.... I can't recommend the school. The professors are very research-oriented, only teaching because they have to. I use the word 'teach' in the loosest sense... as nearly every professor there has spent NO time working in the real world and has spent their entire life in academia. Most can't teach their way out of a paper bag, and half can't speak a word of English.

As far as the school itself, it's vastly overpriced... not just the tuition but also the housing and food. Get ready to freeze in the winter with temps averaging 20 below, and pray that you don't break a leg from the completely lax maintenance people not clearing sidewalks and parking lots.

When you're looking at schools... I would put finding one with the majority professors having spent some time working outside of academia for a bare minimum of 10 years at the top of your 'want' list. I'd also recommend looking at the state/public universities for the best value... unless you get an amazing (>75%) tuition assistance/scholarship package. I would also suggest a university with a wide variety of majors... otherwise your selection of mandatory liberal arts classes will be incredibly painful.

FYI, I graduated with an engineering degree... not the foo foo business garbage.

Also, I respectfully disagree with the poster saying to get information from the admissions people. They are just glorified car salesmen (apologies for dragging the car sales people down with those lowlifes)... same goes with the student tour guides. Their only job is to get you to sign on the dotted line to get your tuition money. If you visit the ratemyprofessors site you can sometimes get a slightly better idea of the school's quality.
Thank you so much for letting me know this!
Do you have any other suggestions for New York universities I can possibly go to?
Something good in sciences, because i'll be applying for medical school later on.
Thanks

Old 08-22-2011, 12:36 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,377 times
Personally, I would recommend the University at Buffalo (not Buffalo State). Not only do they have a wide variety of majors and great professors, they're also one of the top values for the money. Plus they also have a medical college (among other professional colleges) that is very well respected.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
Personally, I would recommend the University at Buffalo (not Buffalo State). Not only do they have a wide variety of majors and great professors, they're also one of the top values for the money. Plus they also have a medical college (among other professional colleges) that is very well respected.
Alright then, I'll check that out !
Do you know anything about SUNY at Geneseo or SUNY at Binghamton? How are the science departments there?

Old 08-23-2011, 06:44 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Have you considered other smaller private college? It's not uncommon for small liberal arts colleges to have a high acceptance rate into med schools. Some small LAC's that we visited in NY were Hartwick, Marist and Ithaca College. My son was offered very good merit aid at Hartwick.

A friends son graduated from Juniata College in Pennsylvania and the acceptance rate to med school from there is 95%. Juniata College - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Juniata also has a 95% acceptance rate to all postgraduate programs, including medical, podiatric, dental, occupational therapy, physical therapy, chiropractic, and law schools.
They are also known for very good financial aid.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities