Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 11:02 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Almost all jobs are filled with the cheapest qualified applicants. That's part of what is wrong with so much in this country. As my father taught me, you get what you pay for.

Not true. University professor is a great job. But it is difficult to get and also difficult to keep, since you have to keep publishing.
Universities can afford the luxery of hiring the best applicants and they receive tons of applications. It is time to admit it, Americans are simply not as competitive in many fields.
I know it hurts your feelings and you would rather think that the foreign professor is cheap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post

Mature adults, when paying for a service, demand good service for their money. If a student is not receiving what they're paying for (i.e., they can't understand a professor) they have every right to object. .
"Good service!" lol!
That remind me one girl who complained: I never smile to her.
where do you think you are, guys, at McDonalds?
I can understand that one can complain about a professor when the profesor is lazy, does not come prepared or does not understand quite well what he is trying to teach. THAT would be a reason to be unhappy. But broken English? C'mon.
It is time to be an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 05:43 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I am a business major and the class I'm taking this semester is Finance. It's a 300 level class. The teacher is asian and to put it bluntly speaks pretty bad english. It almost seems that he is studdering when he speaks and just seems like it's broken english. Some words come out fine when they are just short and to the point. But when he has to speak in sentences it can become quite difficult to understand.

Since this is a degree level class my boss (who also graduated from the same university/business college) said I should probably talk to some other students and see how they feel and maybe go say something to the business department. He said it’s not right if it’s that bad for us to have to endure that type of speaking when we are spending the money it costs for the class as well as being a class that is the beginning blocks of a major.

Dropping the class is really not something I would want to do because I’m only taking 1 class because I am a transferring student. I just got my associates at a CC last year and because I was a new student I was one of the last incoming students that could register for classes. So obviously a lot of the classes were full when I tried to sign up.

Any experience with this type of situation?
Um...who cares?

Are you learning Finance? It isn't a public speaking class, it is a finance class. I would safely say only 10% of my teachers in grad school have English as their first language. I couldn't care less, as long as I learn the subject.

Answer me this, would you rather have a professor with impeccable English but who is mediocre in Finance or a professor with broken English who is brilliant at Finance? For a finance class, I would absolutely take the latter.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:17 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Um...who cares?

Are you learning Finance? It isn't a public speaking class, it is a finance class. I would safely say only 10% of my teachers in grad school have English as their first language. I couldn't care less, as long as I learn the subject.

Answer me this, would you rather have a professor with impeccable English but who is mediocre in Finance or a professor with broken English who is brilliant at Finance?
For a finance class, I would absolutely take the latter.
Answer me this, what good is a professor who's brilliant if you can't learn anything from them because you can't understand them? At least if they were mediocre and spoke impeccable English, you would learn something from them.

Yes, they are all adults, and they need to read all the material, and teach themselves something, but what's the point of a class meeting, or having a professor at all, if you are not learning from them? So professors can stand up there and reinforce their overblown sense of importance and stroke their huge egos? I'm totally with mimimomx3 on this one. I'm paying a fortune for my 2 kids to attend major universities in this country right now. I expect them to at least be able to understand the professors, or more than likely the TA's that are supposedly teaching the classes.

And as for the comment someone made about if students learned more than English this wouldn't be an issue. Oh, please. That is ridiculous. One of my kids is fluent in both English and German. He has already earned his minor in German and has lived in Germany. Being able to better understand a native German speaker is not going to do him one bit of good if he's in a class being lead by a person from China. It's all about cadence and inflection and I seriously doubt that it would be the same for those 2 languages.

Class time is limited. Face time with instructors is limited. That time should not have to be spent trying to figure out what words are being said, but rather grasping the concepts being conveyed.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:24 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Answer me this, what good is a professor who's brilliant if you can't learn anything from them because you can't understand them? At least if they were mediocre and spoke impeccable English, you would learn something from them.

Yes, they are all adults, and they need to read all the material, and teach themselves something, but what's the point of a class meeting, or having a professor at all, if you are not learning from them? So professors can stand up there and reinforce their overblown sense of importance and stroke their huge egos? I'm totally with mimimomx3 on this one. I'm paying a fortune for my 2 kids to attend major universities in this country right now. I expect them to at least be able to understand the professors, or more than likely the TA's that are supposedly teaching the classes.

And as for the comment someone made about if students learned more than English this wouldn't be an issue. Oh, please. That is ridiculous. One of my kids is fluent in both English and German. He has already earned his minor in German and has lived in Germany. Being able to better understand a native German speaker is not going to do him one bit of good if he's in a class being lead by a person from China. It's all about cadence and inflection and I seriously doubt that it would be the same for those 2 languages.

Class time is limited. Face time with instructors is limited. That time should not have to be spent trying to figure out what words are being said, but rather grasping the concepts being conveyed.
I am capable of understanding accents. I would rather learn from a brilliant mind and have to learn to understand a new accent than a mediocre mind who is easy to understand. For what I am paying for graduate school, if my school hired a professor from America who had less to offer intellectually over a foreign professor who is brilliant, I would revolt. I pay way too much money to have my education dumbed down just so I don't have to hear an accent.

This isn't 1950 any more. Get used to it.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:35 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Most people are able to understand accents. However, some people have such heavy accents they are extremely difficult to understand. They do not need to be in a classroom setting.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Similar happened in our MBA statistics class at FIU regarding a professor. A number of students went as a group to the chairperson to present their case. Nothing was done. The professor confronted the class afterwards and the remainder of the semester was strained. A pity as he was well regarded internationally regarding gaming theories and indicated on the first day that we would receive considerable emphasis on this aspect which was not detailed in the text. After the "Affair" he just worked with the text.

He was difficult to understand but fortunately the coursework entailed mathematics and the text followed the lectures closely.

My wife worked in the MBA department at that time and witnessed first hand the hidden side of academia. She advises student complaints against faculty carry little weight as it is seen as contesting the professionalism of the faculty.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I had a physics professor that was unintelligible. Most people audited the other section which was taught by a native English speaker. I just relied more on the text book. It was so bad that one day a student has an epileptic seizure and the 911 operator could not understand him so one of the students had to talk.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
I had a chemistry prof whose English was so poor I had to record the lectures and listen to them again at night. That was over thirty years ago.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:04 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressy View Post
Not true. University professor is a great job. But it is difficult to get and also difficult to keep, since you have to keep publishing.
Universities can afford the luxery of hiring the best applicants and they receive tons of applications. It is time to admit it, Americans are simply not as competitive in many fields.
I know it hurts your feelings and you would rather think that the foreign professor is cheap.

"Good service!" lol!
That remind me one girl who complained: I never smile to her.
where do you think you are, guys, at McDonalds?
I can understand that one can complain about a professor when the profesor is lazy, does not come prepared or does not understand quite well what he is trying to teach. THAT would be a reason to be unhappy. But broken English? C'mon.
It is time to be an adult.
No hurt feelings at all. I qualified my response to say that most are the cheapest. I am not talking about elite universities. But when I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I don't have a problem with admitting that.

As far as the comment about learning one foreign language helping understand heavily accented English, I was basing that on my personal experience and making inferences from what I've read of second language acquisition. I'm very likely wrong there too. Just because it's easier for me to understand non-native speakers because of my background in traveling around the world, doesn't make it easier for everyone.

I was clearly having an off day. Mea culpa.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:32 PM

684 posts, read 1,122,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Be glad you weren't an engineering major - and electrical engineering, my major, was the worst. about three quarters of my profs were foreigners: Chinese, Egyptians, French, Indian/Pakistani, Polish. Extremely frustrating. There was a very strong correlation between my grades and origin of the prof. Much better grades if American. I learned a lot more. I would strongly urge the original poster to find an American teacher.
You know those guys were Profs cos they knew the stuff. Maybe you are just a bigot who cant survive with a diverse body?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities