Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 11:40 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Really? In this economy of sky high unemployment?
Yes. The Op HAS a job. He (Obviously) has some skill/worth.
HOWEVER, I do not believe anyone will despite that some jobs wherein there is NO NEED for a degree will ONLY look at individuals with 'A degree' and that often what it is is wave-able (I spoke with a rep today and they talked about how they hired a woman with a Geology degree for something NOT relating to her degree at all merely due to the quality of her writing.)
(For which she thanked her High School English teacher)

The OP has stated (Post 1 and 4) that he wants those doors open to him which would be closed without the degree, but that will be opened by 'A degree'

Quote:
Go ahead and disagree, but the proof is likely to end up in your paycheck (or relative lack thereof).
In December I'll have my undergrad and the first 6 hours of my masters competed (And about 40-60 pages of my masters thesis...)

And although people WILL pay more for the 'piece of paper'

I don't see it as worth a *Dang* thing!

Coulda saved LOTS of time and learned what I've learned in a MUCH shorter amount of time. (3.71 GPA BTW)

I'll play the game, but I don't have to like it or respect it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
In December I'll have my undergrad and the first 6 hours of my masters competed (And about 40-60 pages of my masters thesis...)

And although people WILL pay more for the 'piece of paper'

I don't see it as worth a *Dang* thing!

Coulda saved LOTS of time and learned what I've learned in a MUCH shorter amount of time. (3.71 GPA BTW)

I'll play the game, but I don't have to like it or respect it.
So why are you wasting your time? You coulda been working the night shift at the local 7-11 for a couple of years now.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
So why are you wasting your time? You coulda been working the night shift at the local 7-11 for a couple of years now.
Because thanks to you taxpayers I get paid to go back to school.
(Medically retired from the military... my pension and GI bill are enough to live off)

honestly, It's easier. (And as I've said, I'm considered an 'outstanding student')

If my body hadn't gotten all jacked up I'd of taken the offer I had like some of my buddies, done a few years of contracting in Iraq and retired.

(I got offered $750 per day... there's not many shooters with an additional medical background.)

Sorry if I'm coming off rude or anything, we're having a weather change and my body always reacts very poorly during these times. I'm medicated to the gills.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Because thanks to you taxpayers I get paid to go back to school.
(Medically retired from the military... my pension and GI bill are enough to live off)

honestly, It's easier. (And as I've said, I'm considered an 'outstanding student')
Ok. If you think you can live off of your benefits, then it sounds like you can base your choice of schooling purely on what passes the time and suits your fancy. For the rest of us who actually need to support ourselves for the rest of our lives, the standards we set for ourselves in preparing for the work force will matter in a very tangible way. Set low personal standards, you get crappy results. Set high personal standards, and you stand a much better chance of earning great results. That's all I'm saying.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Ok. If you think you can live off of your benefits, then it sounds like you don't need to do anything at all with respect to school from a financial ROI standpoint. For the rest of us who actually need to support ourselves for the rest of our lives, the standards we set for ourselves in preparing for the work force will matter. Set low personal standards, you get crappy results. Set high personal standards, and you stand a much better chance of earning great results. That's all I'm saying.
We are in total agreement.

My only thing is this:

I first went to school over 10 years ago.

School has been SO dumbed (yes, that's intentional) down that it's almost funny if it were not of such concern.

(I'm slightly obsessive compulsive and turn in work early, go over it several times etc)

HOWEVER: I see SO MANY people coasting through... I don't see much work is required to get 'A degree at a real university'

Which IMHO has a lot to do with the lack of perceived worth that we are seeing.

I can live off my pension (Although it would be tight) But I have several expensive habits (Girls, guns, and Motorcycles)

So I'll play the game.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
HOWEVER: I see SO MANY people coasting through... I don't see much work is required to get 'A degree at a real university'
I would argue that it depends on the course of study and the university. They are not all created equally. If you study english lit at Local U., then it is going to be much easier for the average student to coast than if they are getting an advanced degree in economics at Stanford, where they only even accept a few percent of applicants. Those holding the keys to the best opportunities know this, which is why they have a different perception of the candidate from Local U. vs. one from a place like Stanford.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I would argue that it depends on the course of study and the university. They are not all created equally. If you study english lit at Local U., then it is going to be much easier for the average student to coast than if they are getting an advanced degree in economics at Stanford, where they only even accept a few percent of applicants. Those holding the keys to the best opportunities know this, which is why they have a different perception of the candidate from Local U. vs. one from a place like Stanford.

What I said was "A Degree"

Old 09-08-2011, 12:05 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
The fastest way is to go to a country with high corruption (such as Mexico) and just pay a school $25,000 to give you a degree. The only downside is that you don't learn anything... but many don't care about that anyways.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 AM

360 posts, read 1,019,494 times
Honestly, I think in 99% of cases the easiest route/cheapest route to a degree is to go at least part of the time to a community college - most generally have evening/weekend/online classes.

For the OP - depending on what schools are near you (and their requirements), where you went and what your credits are in you might be able to get an AS/AA in something pretty quickly (within 1 or 2 semesters). It's not the same as BS/BA and isn't valued the same but it's a good thing to put on your resume while you work on next step and if by some chance someone DOES ask at work, you can state you DO have a degree. Look into articulation agreements - almost every community college has at least one with a nearby 4 year school (typically a public school which is also cheaper per credit than the online only schools or any private school.) If you get all credits accepted, you can come in as a junior and finish in 2 - 4 years depending on how many classes you take and if you're willing to go to class over the summer, Christmas break, etc.

The diploma mills (or bribing some Mexican school ) to give you a degree might technically be quicker but definitely wouldn't be cheaper. I'm sure there's unaccredited schools that'll give you a degree based solely on life experience but that carries no more value than NOT having a degree, particularly for employment. Pick a if you bull**** degree if you have to (general studies is fine for this) but at least go to something that's a legit school.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:21 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestylez View Post
Hello I have an ok job and about 50-59 college credits.
I work for a small company now and everybody at my job has a degree.
I think they assumed,I had a degree and never checked,because alot of small buisness dont like spending money on college background checks,but there is also a guy at my job with just an associates so maybe they dont care.

anyway i just want a quick rinky dink degree online on something just
to have it in my tool box it could be a BS liberal arts degree or buisness adminastration degree, I just want it to be fast as possible and online preferably
because my job travels alot.

Im just afraid if I ever got laid off my options would be limited
to small companies or hourly jobs.

Are there any diploma mills or pretty fast online schools at decent prices
that are relativly easy work wise,that will pass educational background checks.
I happen to be in Erie County, NY. This college promotes fast degrees for adults. It isn't a "diploma mill"; it just does things quickly

Degrees for Adult and Graduate Students | Medaille College Buffalo Amherst Rochester NY

Look at the accelerated learning program for adults. I am sure many other "real" colleges do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities