Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:37 PM

454 posts, read 1,238,758 times

Advertisements

Its all relative to the individual.

Just because you have a degree don't expect employers to bow at your feet. You have to have a good work ethic and good skills. At the end of the day employers are looking for someone who can get the job done for a fair price.

If you have a very strong work ethic and good skills but no college degree then it probably won't matter at all. As long as you provide good worth ethic and good skills you will be valuable.

College these days is overpriced and overrated. These days it seems like colleges, professors and faculty are more interested in their own pocket book rather than teaching their students good work ethic and marketable skills. What you ultimately get is entitled college grads who want to charge over market rates without actually having any marketable skills. Its like selling a car with a nice paint job, new windows, and new tires but it doesn't have an engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 04:27 PM

336 posts, read 1,018,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post

Just because you have a degree don't expect employers to bow at your feet. You have to have a good work ethic and good skills. At the end of the day employers are looking for someone who can get the job done for a fair price.

If you have a very strong work ethic and good skills but no college degree then it probably won't matter at all. As long as you provide good worth ethic and good skills you will be valuable.

College these days is overpriced and overrated. These days it seems like colleges, professors and faculty are more interested in their own pocket book rather than teaching their students good work ethic and marketable skills. What you ultimately get is entitled college grads who want to charge over market rates without actually having any marketable skills. Its like selling a car with a nice paint job, new windows, and new tires but it doesn't have an engine.
In college I learned to critically reason out problems with accurate and diverse sources of information. Rather than just making massive generalizations.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,249,236 times
Quote:

It's really interesting how people with "good worth ethics and good skills" tend to do well in college, as they do elsewhere in life, isn't it?

Old 09-12-2011, 04:45 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,265,899 times
OP -- you're probably getting a lot of sour-grapes comments from posters who didn't do especially well in school. Ignore them. Don't listen to the voice of mediocrity. Do the best you can, as a matter of principle and personal pride if nothing else. This is the classical idea of virtue.

As far as employers go, stay away from any who will accept mediocre grades, if you can. Do you want to report to some lazy, mediocre blowhard who barely made it through school himself? Top-drawer employers are staffed by really smart people with really strong scholastic records.

If I knew Latin, I'd say something like "non illegitimus carborundum!"

Old 09-12-2011, 09:49 PM

74 posts, read 565,286 times
Quote:

It may seem superfluous to bring it up, but since you mentioned work ethic, I may as well bring it in. Will my past play a role in my present, even though the two are not connected? I have been self-employed since 2001, and although a small business, I was averaging $1.5 mil in sales consistently. That is until the housing market crash. Up to that point, I never saw a work week under 120hrs. My work ethic, in my opinion, is very strong. Will owning a business be a help or a detriment in seeking future employment in the medical field? Business owners tend to be strong willed and I am not quite sure if an employer views that as a benefit or a threat. Any thoughts?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:59 PM

12,098 posts, read 16,975,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed118 View Post
It may seem superfluous to bring it up, but since you mentioned work ethic, I may as well bring it in. Will my past play a role in my present, even though the two are not connected? I have been self-employed since 2001, and although a small business, I was averaging $1.5 mil in sales consistently. That is until the housing market crash. Up to that point, I never saw a work week under 120hrs. My work ethic, in my opinion, is very strong. Will owning a business be a help or a detriment in seeking future employment in the medical field? Business owners tend to be strong willed and I am not quite sure if an employer views that as a benefit or a threat. Any thoughts?
If you were willing to dedicate that much time to being successful at your career and earning potential, why didn't you go the post-secondary education route the first time around?

I am not willing to dedicate anywhere NEAR that number of hours for my career...

Old 09-12-2011, 10:24 PM

74 posts, read 565,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If you were willing to dedicate that much time to being successful at your career and earning potential, why didn't you go the post-secondary education route the first time around?

I am not willing to dedicate anywhere NEAR that number of hours for my career...
$1.5 mil in sales yields a very good income; all without a college degree to say "yep, I are smart". As far as the hours, they were long, but they were mine. I do not regret the business. However, as the situations around me change, I have to be smart enough to change with them, or I will be left behind. It is getting to the point that one cannot even work in fast food without a degree in something.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:51 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,700,268 times
I graduated in 2009 with a BA in Graphic Design. I've been to at least seven interviews in the past year. Not one of the employers asked about my GPA. They were more interested in seeing my work and wanted to know what my work history looked like. Other than a six month internship, I don't have extensive real work experience in my field although I have years of regular part-time work experience flipping burgers; not good enough. I have been told I was competing with people with decades of experience by interviewers and I've also been to American Idol-esque group interviews fighting for one coveted job position.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:53 PM

44 posts, read 115,934 times
Quote:
I don't think the "medical field" will care either way. Where I think it will make a difference is if you get a strong or weak manager. The weak ones may feel intimidated by your drive and willingness to succeed. The strong ones will appreciate all that effort and realize you possess "umph" to get things done, make yourself look good and them too.

It's the age old thing. The weak feel threatened by the strong.

But generally speaking, I would think the majority of managers should appreciate your previous background history as it shows lots of strong points employers seek.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:18 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,602,093 times
Quote:
My plans are to become a CRNA and work towards my PhD. I do not believe that in today's economy and job market that a BA/BS will hold much weight when looking for a job. However, that is just my opinion. As far as professors telling me I am working too hard, I was shocked the first time I heard that, now it has become commonplace. I certainly do not understand that statement.
I too am going for my CRNA Master's level at Murray State.

It's hard work, yeah; but well worth it in the end.

Yes, you need the grades, don't give up cause the Proffs just don't get it. MSU reqs a min 3.0GPA, but the higher the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities