Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed118 View Post
I am choosing the CRNA path because it will get me working faster than if I went to be a surgeon. I am a non traditional student that has a family to support, along with finishing my degree. The PhD has been recommended by others that know me. From what I have been told, if I want to move into management-which I do-then I will need the PhD. If you have other suggestions, I am all ears.
Exactly! For MSU's program you need a 3.0+GPA, a BSN, passing the RN cert/boards, then working a year in acute care, (there are other things too, like insurance, TB testing, etc...) then enrollment into the CRNA program, which is 2 yrs. That is 7yrs min (unless you are doing summer semesters, and tons of bi-term classes, lol!), and around here (lower cost of living) 130K/year starting. Plus not nearly the malpractice premiums!

I say GO FOR IT sista, maybe we can be study buddies, depending on where we both are in classes anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 06:32 AM

337 posts, read 1,023,275 times
If you're a very driven person with plenty of money saved up, why not just go to med school and shoot for anesthesiology? You'll make 3x as much as a CRNA and be a "manager". You can complete the BS requirements in 3 years and then med school in 4 years. Getting into an anesthesiology residency is competitive but pretty average compared to other specialties. Residency is 4-5 years long, during which you'll get a small salary.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:49 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Grades are important and yet they aren't; maybe not all employers would check your grades, but if you have good grades you'll have something to talk about during your interviews; it shows you know how to buckle down and work. Also, if you study and remember what you learned you'll also have a lot to talk about not just with potential employers, but with people in general.

However grades aren't the only important thing in college; internships, professional networking and taking your education into your career field seriously are also important.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:02 AM

74 posts, read 566,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
If you're a very driven person with plenty of money saved up, why not just go to med school and shoot for anesthesiology? You'll make 3x as much as a CRNA and be a "manager". You can complete the BS requirements in 3 years and then med school in 4 years. Getting into an anesthesiology residency is competitive but pretty average compared to other specialties. Residency is 4-5 years long, during which you'll get a small salary.
For me, that would not be the best option. By the time I finished residency, my kids would be ready to move out. I do not want them living a mediocre lifestyle just so I can satisfy my own selfish desires.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:43 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Exactly! For MSU's program you need a 3.0+GPA, a BSN, passing the RN cert/boards, then working a year in acute care, (there are other things too, like insurance, TB testing, etc...) then enrollment into the CRNA program, which is 2 yrs. That is 7yrs min (unless you are doing summer semesters, and tons of bi-term classes, lol!), and around here (lower cost of living) 130K/year starting. Plus not nearly the malpractice premiums!

I say GO FOR IT sista, maybe we can be study buddies, depending on where we both are in classes anyway.
After a little research, it seems you need a BS in Nursing, prior experience, and Masters in Nurse Anesthesia to be a CRNA. Of which, there are about 36,000 in the US. Not a lot.

Which means...

YES, GRADES WILL BE IMPORTANT.

Anytime there is a job which has a median salary of six figures, every Tom, Dick, and Harry is going to be applying to that. And it will always be competitive.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:11 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
It depends on the company and position really. Some only take the top 10% of any class.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:44 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
For me, that would not be the best option. By the time I finished residency, my kids would be ready to move out. I do not want them living a mediocre lifestyle just so I can satisfy my own selfish desires.
Can't rep you enough! Same boat here.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:30 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
A Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists,!!! And they are telling you your grade is not important!!! Im applying for the regular Nursing program next year and my grades means everything!How far along are you?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
You answered my next question. My school is constantly trying to get me to sign up for the Honors Program. I have enough on my plate already and certainly do not want to make my studies harder if it is not going to help in the future.
Keep in mind this is ONE person's experience.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a34dadsf View Post
Its all relative to the individual.

Just because you have a degree don't expect employers to bow at your feet. You have to have a good work ethic and good skills. At the end of the day employers are looking for someone who can get the job done for a fair price.

If you have a very strong work ethic and good skills but no college degree then it probably won't matter at all. As long as you provide good worth ethic and good skills you will be valuable.

College these days is overpriced and overrated. These days it seems like colleges, professors and faculty are more interested in their own pocket book rather than teaching their students good work ethic and marketable skills. What you ultimately get is entitled college grads who want to charge over market rates without actually having any marketable skills. Its like selling a car with a nice paint job, new windows, and new tires but it doesn't have an engine.
First, the OP's goals require a college education.

Second, I have been on hiring committees, and there's no way you can really evaluate "work ethic". You look at proxies, such as previous job history with increasingly responsible jobs, awards, references, etc. Some employers do require transcripts. Some people indicate their grades on their resumes, e.g. "honor student", "Dean's List", etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
I graduated in 2009 with a BA in Graphic Design. I've been to at least seven interviews in the past year. Not one of the employers asked about my GPA. They were more interested in seeing my work and wanted to know what my work history looked like. Other than a six month internship, I don't have extensive real work experience in my field although I have years of regular part-time work experience flipping burgers; not good enough. I have been told I was competing with people with decades of experience by interviewers and I've also been to American Idol-esque group interviews fighting for one coveted job position.
Seeing your work is similar to looking at grades, no? Where do you live? I have a neighbor who did get a graphics jobs or some sort (I'm not familiar enough with the field to tell you what) here in Colorado with a company she did an internship with. Before she got that job, she went to networking meetings with her father who was unemployed as well and picked up a few jobs that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities