Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:49 AM

151 posts, read 569,881 times

Advertisements

It's a UK article but applies equally if not more so to the USA.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...cience-degrees

Quote:
The study showed only 55% of chemistry and physics students were in jobs related to their degree.

"It is astonishing … that so few new graduates go into related employment.

"Perhaps young people are put off careers in science by their education," Smith said. "Or perhaps the incentives are not right,

Last edited by Lou347; 09-09-2011 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 08:52 AM

337 posts, read 1,023,679 times
Europe is in a lot worse shape financially than the US is. I went to a mid-tier state university and all of my friends in biology found good jobs in their field. Actually my dad is a professor of neuroscience and he is absolutely dying for qualified American graduates. He keeps having to hire from overseas because there aren't enough qualified Americans willing/able to do the job. I didn't really know any physics majors so I can't comment on that one.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:57 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
Good science jobs are very competitive, and bad science jobs suck. There is not a lot of middle ground. For every senior scientist or tenure track faculty job there are a dozen menial lab tech positions. There are not a whole lot of good mid-level positions for the good but not superstar BS graduate. A lot of science grads recognize that their math/analytical skills will pay off better in a different field.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:36 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
Europe is in a lot worse shape financially than the US is. I went to a mid-tier state university and all of my friends in biology found good jobs in their field. Actually my dad is a professor of neuroscience and he is absolutely dying for qualified American graduates. He keeps having to hire from overseas because there aren't enough qualified Americans willing/able to do the job. I didn't really know any physics majors so I can't comment on that one.
Positions in academia other than tenure track professors are poor in both pay and growth prospects which is likely why he is unable to attract US citizens. I wouldn't take one either.

Academia from what I understand has unlimited h1-b's and companies and universities love them because they will work 16 hours a day 7 days a week for janitor wages because that is better than what is waiting for them back home and that is where they will be sent if they lose their job.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:37 AM

All the people I know with biology degrees end up having severe problems finding work because every unsuccessful med school hopeful has one.

http://www.indeed.com/forum/gen/Care...-do-it/t132436

Old 09-09-2011, 09:42 AM

In my experience the best and brightest want nothing to do with science due to the poor pay and increasing instability of Science jobs. Many companies are only hiring science staff on contract and noone is going to stay as a contractor with no benefits and an agency stealing 1/2 your paycheck for more than a few years before they flee the field.

The chemical industry is in decline, the pharma industry has led the nation in layoffs for the past several years and the largest layoff announcement this year came from Merck-a pharma company. The food industry isn't a whole lot better. In short science is a tragic waste of potential for anyone with the intelligence to get the degree. The only place nowadays where a science career is viable is in the government as the private sector sees scientists as toilet paper-a cheap commodity to be used and discarded.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:44 AM

Here are the stats for chemistry grads. Only 30-40% have full time jobs and half of those have crappy tech jobs in academia at the BS/MS level and crappy post docs at the PHD level. Tech jobs range $25-35k and post docs $35-50k often without benefits and very little growth prospect as I mentioned.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:26 AM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
If those physicists would go into radiation or health physics, they would find good jobs right away.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:03 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
In my experience the best and brightest want nothing to do with science due to the poor pay and increasing instability of Science jobs. Many companies are only hiring science staff on contract and noone is going to stay as a contractor with no benefits and an agency stealing 1/2 your paycheck for more than a few years before they flee the field.

The chemical industry is in decline, the pharma industry has led the nation in layoffs for the past several years and the largest layoff announcement this year came from Merck-a pharma company. The food industry isn't a whole lot better. In short science is a tragic waste of potential for anyone with the intelligence to get the degree. The only place nowadays where a science career is viable is in the government as the private sector sees scientists as toilet paper-a cheap commodity to be used and discarded.
To buttress your points, all one has to do is to look at the cuts that are going on at the NIH/NSF, the largest science granting organizations in the world. As the physics PH.D's/postdoc have told me, both of those institutions are cutting outlays. That should tell you the near/long term prognosis for the sciences, and it isn't at all good. Science doesn't exist without research money, less research money means far less needs for scientists. Ipso facto/ bada boom bada bing, follow the money, not the PR spin, and it will tell all of yass volumes.....

Old 09-12-2011, 06:55 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

True, because big Pharma is outsourcing (via partnership agreements) their R&D to small biotech companies. Biotech industry in the US (and around the world) has continued to grow even in the down economy. Many science majors are joining private biotech companies these days and finding it quite lucrative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities