Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 08:47 PM

31 posts, read 81,327 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone, I am a current student at Walden University, but leaving them due to the rumors of lack of recognition on behalf of employers. So with that being said, I am caught between two online schools, I prefer online because of my busy lifestyle and it has be very great to me so far.

I am caught between Fort Hays State University Online Justice Studies

Pros

Caring Staff so far, every time I call they take a lot of time with me to explain and go over everything being sure to answer my questions.

Much Cheaper Tuition then many online schools at only 174.00 per credit

Regionally Accredited and has be a traditional on campus since 1908/offering online classes since 1999

Variety of Online Courses for the Justice Programs which cover pretty much every avenue of criminal justice/criminology, such as collected evidence, dna, fingerprinting latent, and more.

Cons
Not sure about the reputation with employers
Their online portal for students could be improved heard a few rumors of systems failing which causes students to fail a test at no fault of their own. Talked to tech support and they stated that they are in all ways there to help and the student won't be held accountable.

Don't receive all the perks that on campus students receive such as internship placements, and in depth career assistance, and no tiger card unless the student comes in to receive one in Kansas.

ASU Online

Pros

Has been a state traditional college since 1898 and has international recognition to everyone as well as employers.

I live in Arizona like maybe 20-30 mins away from the campus and when I can or need to will have full access to all facilities at the school such as the libraries, and career assistance which will guide me to gaining the proper field experience that I need. Will receive everything that a on site student will receive as far as respect and all the perks.

Online portal is excellent, very easy to use, manage, and toggle through, also has lots of options for the student.

Cons

Tuition is higher than ft hays at 425.00 per credit

Courses are very limited with Criminal Justice, Justice Studies, Sociology, and Family Development Programs. Courses really don't sound interesting at all and is more geared toward policing which is not what I plan to get a career in.

That's about it as for the pros. I am so confused everyone, please give me all of your thoughts, and suggestions, and even what you'd do.

Thanks

Melanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 AM

44 posts, read 115,939 times
Do you have any particular employers in mind? If so, it might be worth a call or visit to them to introduce yourself (making contacts is EXTREMELY valuable), explain what you are striving for career wise and see if they will provide some answers to what colleges and programs they prefer.

Just speaking out loud, it seems more advantageous to be enrolled in a program that gives you the technical depth you are seeking and is required for your desired career path, regardless of location or money. What good is paying $20k for crap, when you can pay $30k for what you want/need?

Sounds to me like neither of these programs are exactly what you are seeking. Have you looked elsewhere for a better solution?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:06 AM

opsec,

Thanks for the response. I greatly appreciate it as I am so confused I feel like scream lol!!

Since I written that post, I am somewhat trying to outweigh what I should really be doing career wise. Considering all of my work experience is within customer service. I only decided to become a criminal justice major due to my high interest in criminology, profiling and etc.

However, after I thought about it more in depth, my lifestyle would really have to change in order for me to be better suited for an actual career in this field. Well I have never been arrested for anything squeaky clean! However, I have used drugs well within 10yrs as the FBI, says they won't accept. Also many other fields with law enforcement will also polygraph me.

And I don't want to be something where I have to chase someone down or anything like that!! mostly being my interest is mainly in abnormalities of the mind that lead to crime, and prevention.

So unless someone can really provide me with some jobs that would suit me with a criminal just degree, I am switching my major and school. I plan to switch to a Business major, which will eliminate me for ASU, because they don't offer Business Degrees online, well not on undergrad level anyway.

So I am now stuck between Ft. Hays State and Southern New Hampshire. For Business Degrees.

Thanks
Let me know what you think
Melanie

Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 6,908 times
I have attended online classes at FHSU and I love them. I have been both an on campus student and online student. I have a friend who is a Justice major and I have taken Intro to Justice and have heard wonderful things about their department. I personally loved my instructor and I learned more from his class than I have in a lot of my own major classes which I think attributes to a great teacher. You are correct that the online perks aren't as great as being 'on campus' but honestly FHSU doesn't really offer internship placement assistance or any real connections that other universities give, so if that is a big part of it for you, I wouldn't pick FHSU.

One of my cons is that because FHSU has tried to cut budgets by keeping tuition low, they are having teachers assist with more classes. This means that sometimes teachers favor other classes than the others and just simply don't care as much for some. This shows a lot on Blackboard and I can usually tell if a teacher has too much workload. Also, communication can be low if teachers have too much on their plate and I have sometimes had to physically go see my online teacher, which would be impossible for you.

Just thought I would give you some first hand insight. Hope this helps!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 PM

kay19,

I thank you so much for your reply. So far I has chosen to go with Southern New Hampshire University. Wish me luck, only because I dropped my major for Business and hat business courses and learning as opposed to anything Justice related. But love the job growth and options for people that hold a business degree. I already found a swirm of internships as well as jobs that correlate to that major.

So wish me luck.

Melanie

Old 09-24-2011, 01:58 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,480,539 times
There are brick and mortar schools that have undergrad business degrees.

Penn State | Online Bachelor of Science in Business | Overview

Old 09-25-2011, 01:29 PM

befriend,

Well FHSU, is a brick and mortar school, and so is SNHU. Penn State as well as Pitt, I always knew had online programs, however their very expensive.

Melanie

Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 AM

44 posts, read 115,939 times
Oklahoma State University (OSU) is also a brick & mortar school offering online undergrad business programs, either Management or Business Admin. Costs may still be a concern for out-of-state students. One advantage they offer that others may not is they are internationally AACSB accredited!

Link to online undergrad site:
B.S. Business Administration Degree Completion Programs | Distance Learning

Link to tuition costs:
Tuition & Fees (approximate cost) | Distance Learning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities