Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 12:30 AM

410 posts, read 491,592 times

Advertisements

NYU. Only Stern and its med school are the only thing worth going for and paying the insane cost. Undergraduate education is inflated due the location. Tisch is the biggest "hit or miss" program (Tisch is practically a separate entity from NYU as a whole) - I mean, pay close to 60K for fine arts degree? Sure there's the connections and teachers but the chances of one actually making it big enough to pay off that type of loan isn't worth the wallet damage. Good on undergrad philosophy, econ and math. Not sure what else, but yea, Overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 12:58 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshineKid View Post
NYU. Only Stern and its med school are the only thing worth going for and paying the insane cost. Undergraduate education is inflated due the location. Tisch is the biggest "hit or miss" program (Tisch is practically a separate entity from NYU as a whole) - I mean, pay close to 60K for fine arts degree? Sure there's the connections and teachers but the chances of one actually making it big enough to pay off that type of loan isn't worth the wallet damage. Good on undergrad philosophy, econ and math. Not sure what else, but yea, Overrated.
NYU is on my list for grad school.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:21 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Overrated
-
the Penn State branch campuses
- Edinboro University (well any of the PASSHE schools really)
- Seten Hill University
- Lincoln University

Underrated
- Temple (for some reason, I lot of people think its an HBCU...not sure why)
- Gratz College
- Robert Morris University
- Lehigh University

Old 11-12-2011, 05:31 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Overrated
-
the Penn State branch campuses
- Edinboro University (well any of the PASSHE schools really)
- Seten Hill University
- Lincoln University

Underrated
- Temple (for some reason, I lot of people think its an HBCU...not sure why)
- Gratz College
- Robert Morris University
- Lehigh University
Agreed with Temple. Lehigh isn't great for the liberal arts, but is rightfully highly regarded for its engineering and business programs, along with anything having to do with the hard sciences.

I'd say Penn State is overrated and Pitt is underrated. Both schools are equally good overall. Penn State just has a brand name.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:09 PM

50 posts, read 197,667 times
I went to Temple, so I guess I'm biased, I'd still consider it underrated although it seems more and more people from out of the area now consider it when theyre choosing schools. The area around it is gradually improving and its reputation is appearing safer to most who would have written it off/avoided it 10 years ago. One really good thing about Temple is networking opportunities for internships and the like since you're in a big city.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSunshineKid View Post
Hmmm, I have never heard that NYU was overrated and I had more than a handful of students go there. They were very happy about it or at least didn't complain about it.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARparty View Post
I went to Temple, so I guess I'm biased, I'd still consider it underrated although it seems more and more people from out of the area now consider it when theyre choosing schools. The area around it is gradually improving and its reputation is appearing safer to most who would have written it off/avoided it 10 years ago. One really good thing about Temple is networking opportunities for internships and the like since you're in a big city.
Temple makes sense as a commuter school. It's not terribly difficult to get to from the suburbs, and it offers a good education relative to its price. Temple's biggest problem is a lack of undergraduate housing. As much as the surrounding area has improved, it's still an objectively iffy area, and many parents are understandably nervous about their children living off-campus. If Temple wants to move up to the next level, it really needs to address that issue.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:38 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
I think it is hard to play this game on an entire school.

For example, Stockton in NJ, I would not let any of my students or my daughter attend their Marine science program. But their Environmental science program is actually very good. I have no first hand knowledge with any of their other programs so I could not begin to speak to their value or compare them to another school.

Same things with Rutgers. Someone else in this thread thinks they are "mostly" overrated but their Marine Science (again the one I am most familiar with) is world renown and still remains that way despite the overall "slide" of the schoool's reputation.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:06 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Temple makes sense as a commuter school. It's not terribly difficult to get to from the suburbs, and it offers a good education relative to its price. Temple's biggest problem is a lack of undergraduate housing. As much as the surrounding area has improved, it's still an objectively iffy area, and many parents are understandably nervous about their children living off-campus. If Temple wants to move up to the next level, it really needs to address that issue.
I grew up maybe 10 minutes from Temple's main campus and about 5 minutes from their Art Campus in Montgomery County (I believe they've closed it since a few years ago). My father also grew up around Broad and Venango, so I remember a lot about it since the early to mid 80s. I have to say that they have made tremendous strides over the past 10 years or so and have swallowed up a lot of the local real estate. Back in the 90s, it was pretty much regarded as a decent local University, but they are slowly but surely becoming the NYU of Pennsylvania. Outside of Penn, I'd pretty much call Temple the most "complete" university in Philly.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
I grew up maybe 10 minutes from Temple's main campus and about 5 minutes from their Art Campus in Montgomery County (I believe they've closed it since a few years ago). My father also grew up around Broad and Venango, so I remember a lot about it since the early to mid 80s. I have to say that they have made tremendous strides over the past 10 years or so and have swallowed up a lot of the local real estate. Back in the 90s, it was pretty much regarded as a decent local University, but they are slowly but surely becoming the NYU of Pennsylvania. Outside of Penn, I'd pretty much call Temple the most "complete" university in Philly.
I'd agree that it's the most balanced university in Philly outside Penn. I also think calling it the NYU of Pennsylvania is a gigantic stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities