Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:09 PM

850 posts, read 901,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdreamerx0 View Post
Overrated: Georgia State University

Underrated: University of Georgia
I hope meant the opposite. UGA is overrated and Georgia state is underrated but I may be bias since I am a Georgia State alumni. Both graduates at these schools end up getting the same type of jobs with the same type of pay so I will say neither are overrated not underrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 12:14 AM

123 posts, read 175,365 times
In Arizona:

Overrated - Northern Arizona University
Underrated - Grand Canyon University

In California:

Overrated - Not sure if any are vastly overrated
Underrated - California Polytechnic State University (San Luis Obispo)

Old 09-06-2015, 01:16 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
I hope meant the opposite. UGA is overrated and Georgia state is underrated but I may be bias since I am a Georgia State alumni. Both graduates at these schools end up getting the same type of jobs with the same type of pay so I will say neither are overrated not underrated.
There are 3 universities in Georgia. UGA, Emory and GA Tech (technically, not a university).

All the others that call themselves universities are mediocre space fillers that, in reality, award certificates of attendance rather than degrees.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:42 AM

850 posts, read 901,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
There are 3 universities in Georgia. UGA, Emory and GA Tech (technically, not a university).

All the others that call themselves universities are mediocre space fillers that, in reality, award certificates of attendance rather than degrees.
That doesn't make any sense. All schools that are regionally accredited provide the same degree requirements as the flagship university and the exspensive overpriced private schools. Maybe UGA and Emory are more attractive for out of state jobs but the degree from Georgia State, Georgia Southern, Kennesaw State, West Georgia, and Valdosta State will offer the same opportunities for professional jobs as any other school. In my profession the experience and your skills are more important than were the degree is from. At my company, we have chemists that have degrees from HBCUs, lower tier state universities, and the flagship schools and we all had to meet the requirements for the position and we all started off with the same salaries. Degrees from top universities are just bragging rights and employers who discriminate against what school a candidate attended are very close minded.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:08 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloguy1496 View Post

In California:

Overrated - Not sure if any are vastly overrated
Underrated - California Polytechnic State University (San Luis Obispo)

UC-Berkeley is overrated.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:57 AM

174 posts, read 124,386 times
Yale. Sounds crazy, but I see more and more Yale grads that seem to want something to do with education or social services, but can't stand the thought of teacher or social worker salaries. So they start silly advocacy groups to "advocate" for something they have no knowledge or experience in (like public ed or working with the poor) so they can't make a huge salary off the donations their group has received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities