Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 06:26 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Hey guys how about Manhattan College? I know its a catholic college but is the religious presece in the school high? LIke me not being a practicing catholic will i be an outcast?
Strangely enough, Manhattan College is not in Manhattan. It's in The Bronx. Go figure. Add to that, there is nothing especially Manhattan-ish about it.

Never went there, but I know of people who did, and since it in a NY metro area college, I know it's rep fairly well.

MC is a fair to middlin' college. Not the worst, but not the best. It is a Catholic school and as such, it is heavily Catholic with many coming from Parochial Schools. I don't think that the school is especially religious, but many people attracted to Manhattan are Catholic, with the expectation that you will be too, or that being Catholic is "the norm." In metro NY Catholic parents, at least half of them tend to prefer Catholic Colleges and direct their children there.

Politically I would say it is right of center.Also many a-political students. As a non Catholic, all I can say is that when on a Catholic college campus, I never fail to feel a certain "parochial (the actual definition of the word) vibe". I visited a friend at a Catholic women's college, called Marymount in Tarrytown. It was a woman's college, that would not go co-ed, and was absorbed at some point into Fordham. There was a party on Saturday night, at Manhattan and it was horrible. There was a very High School - ish atmosphere, some racist comments. I know that was a while ago, but the daughter of a friend tried MC recently, and it seemed the same.(she was half Jewish with a very Irish last name and someone made a comment)

I am personally not comfortable with racism or anti-Semitisim at all. I don't even want to hear it. My kids are not Catholic either, but currently attend a Catholic HS. Because of the generalized acceptance of those points of views at Catholic schools, my kids would not entertain going to a Catholic College, although there are several that I think are quite good and would have been decent choices, especially for my daughter, she will not think of it.

Manhattan is not a Georgetown in quality, or in the quality of student it attracts. There are also a lot of commuters, from nearby Westchester and Jersey suburbs. In kid talk, lots of "Jocks and Bros".

Best departments - engineering and business - I think. In the NY area, you could do so much better. It's also not inexpensive. Many of the SUNY Schools run rings around MC - in diversity, scholarship, quality of prof, price tag and even in personal attention.

Verdict - not all that great, or well thought of by most in the NYC Metro area, but not wildly easy to get into, or inexpensive. I have heard it compared to nearby formerly Catholic Manhattanville, unfavorably. However, I have heard from a friend who is a non practicing Catholic, and professor that it's "Just like St. Anthony's" the Catholic HS he attended.
Another thing, my friend's real job is at another institution in a totally different league. He just does the MCs to pick up extra cash. That should tell you something.

If you tell me what your interest is, and what your expectations are, I can certainly head you in a better direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times
Thanks that actually helped a lot. I have a thread up in this same section if you could look there ill post the link in a minute, with a list of schools i have been looking at

Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...out-these.html

Old 03-04-2012, 10:09 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Junior and Mac and Carleton are out--way too close to home. We've looked into Oberlin but they don't have the major he wants and not that he can't change his mind down the road but he at least wants to try it.

We've done more research on Drake and it's probably not going to be a good fit. It sounds like Greek life is huge there and he isn't interested in that.

golfgal, I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe it's been mentioned and discarded, but has he looked at Kenyon?

FWIW, re:rudeness/attitude, I had a similar experience with Grinnell, Carleton, and with St. Olaf, actually...the whole elitist attitude/rudeness factor when I visited each of those turned me off immensely, and was partially what led me to the comparatively much more down to earth and personable Gustavus.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
golfgal, I haven't read the whole thread, so maybe it's been mentioned and discarded, but has he looked at Kenyon?

FWIW, re:rudeness/attitude, I had a similar experience with Grinnell, Carleton, and with St. Olaf, actually...the whole elitist attitude/rudeness factor when I visited each of those turned me off immensely, and was partially what led me to the comparatively much more down to earth and personable Gustavus.
No, we haven't looked at Kenyon. I just did a quick search. They do not have his intended major there which is somewhat of an issue, but he can work around that if he really loves a school. I like Gustavus and St. Peter. Same deal, they don't have his major there. There are other similar schools that do have his major and the activities he wants to pursue.

We are really looking for schools where he could get substantial merit aid. As long as the school has the program he wants, the quality of the rest of the school doesn't matter all that much because the program he wants has some professional oversight for the college programs. If he were to change his major, we would still want some options at the school though.

DS is a pretty down to earth kid and really not into that intellectual snobbery at some of the elite schools, thankfully. For a kid that never has to pick up a text book and still has a 3.8 in all AP classes and high scores so far on college entrance exams, he could probably run circles around some of these kids but that is just not him.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:43 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,346,028 times
Quote:
Junior and Mac and Carleton are out--way too close to home. We've looked into Oberlin but they don't have the major he wants and not that he can't change his mind down the road but he at least wants to try it.

We've done more research on Drake and it's probably not going to be a good fit. It sounds like Greek life is huge there and he isn't interested in that.
In the world of LACs, I highly recommend Williams, but I have no idea of his grades and what not. It's NICE school.

What major is he thinking about?

Old 03-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
In the world of LACs, I highly recommend Williams, but I have no idea of his grades and what not. It's NICE school.

What major is he thinking about?
He doesn't want an east coast school either. He wants to go into actuarial science, which he can do with a math major but programs that are approved by the Society of Actuaries usually have a system in place so the kids can graduate having taken the first 2-4 exams and they have connections with places for internships and jobs when they graduate. He has about 5 schools around here that he is considering. His dream school is Notre Dame and if he gets in there and he gets big bucks to attend, he will go there. He has the grades and test scores to do that but they have about 25,000 applicants for 2000 spots....

We just found another one for both the kids, Carroll College in Helena, MT. On paper a great fit for both kids.

Last edited by golfgal; 03-05-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 03-06-2012, 11:50 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
Quote:
He doesn't want an east coast school either. He wants to go into actuarial science, which he can do with a math major but programs that are approved by the Society of Actuaries usually have a system in place so the kids can graduate having taken the first 2-4 exams and they have connections with places for internships and jobs when they graduate. He has about 5 schools around here that he is considering. His dream school is Notre Dame and if he gets in there and he gets big bucks to attend, he will go there. He has the grades and test scores to do that but they have about 25,000 applicants for 2000 spots....

We just found another one for both the kids, Carroll College in Helena, MT. On paper a great fit for both kids.
I saw the words "actuarial science" and thought I'd let you know that my friend majored in that at the University of Illinois - Chicago. Very good program from what I've heard from him and he was offered numerous jobs in Chicago and NY.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,227 times
Quote:
We are really looking for schools where he could get substantial merit aid. As long as the school has the program he wants, the quality of the rest of the school doesn't matter all that much because the program he wants has some professional oversight for the college programs. If he were to change his major, we would still want some options at the school though.
That's a very good plan.
Quote:
DS is a pretty down to earth kid and really not into that intellectual snobbery at some of the elite schools, thankfully. For a kid that never has to pick up a text book and still has a 3.8 in all AP classes and high scores so far on college entrance exams, he could probably run circles around some of these kids but that is just not him.
I felt the same way when I went to college. Don't be surprised if his first semester is a little rough...AP courses are no comparison at all to rigorous college courses (especially in mathematics). Learning to study effectively is important but takes a little time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I saw the words "actuarial science" and thought I'd let you know that my friend majored in that at the University of Illinois - Chicago. Very good program from what I've heard from him and he was offered numerous jobs in Chicago and NY.
Illinois State is a good program too.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
He wants a smaller college in a smaller town, no big cities for him. The Society of Actuaries has a list of approved programs on their website and he has been using that to investigate schools. His #2 choice school has a good program and when we were visiting there in November, all of the graduating seniors had job offers already for when they graduated in May.

Last edited by golfgal; 03-07-2012 at 06:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities