Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 10:29 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,816,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
RIT is a great school and their co-op program surely helps with getting a job after graduation. If you haven't visited, I would make sure to do so. It's not really in Rochester. The campus is pretty big and winters are long. Since you are a NY native, I guess you know about the long winters! I have heard that the Prof's aren't especially friendly, but that could be the specific major that I know more about. I would definitely go to the transfer student open house: https://www.rit.edu/emcs/admissions/...sfer-openhouse No date on this, but I'm guessing early next year.
Thanks for the info! I have visited the campus and yes I see that RIT is not actually in the city of Rochester. I met with the business department and was very impressed. Yes I am aware of the winters, but I live in Watertown NY now which gets a substantially higher amount of snowfall so Rochester will be a bit of a break from the winters I'm use to. I also am planning a trip next month to do a full campus tour and attend an open house event. I really do feel like it is the best fit school for me, thanks for your input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 04:08 PM

23 posts, read 52,760 times
The Cal State universities out in California are a great value. Tuition is about $8000 (in state) each year. Everyone knows about the UC schools, but the Cal States can save you a ton of money. UCs cost about double for tuition.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:35 PM

30 posts, read 40,989 times
Default What college to choose

Hello all,
This is my first thread and hoping to get some versatile input so we can make a wise decision.
We live in los angeles , ca. We have a 17 year old daughter , she did her high school from a public school and she wants to choose psychology major and than probably go into law ,
she got into :
university of washington (seattle)
university of santa clara
boston university
university of san francisco (AID OFFERED)
LMU
UNIVERSITY OF THE PACIFIC (AID OFFERED)

she got wait listed to
UCSD (HER DREAM COLLEGE)
UC IRVINE
US SANTABARBARA
CAL STATE SLO

my questions are pertaining for the colleges she got accepted

which college she can be benefited the most ?
which college she can get best quality of education ?
where are the best programmes and classes offered?
which college has the best and supporting alumni ?
which college student will be offered the highest job or will be favoured for the job?
which college has the best surrounding and fun to be in ?
which college has the best transfer rate to and much better college if she thrives in her grade ?
which college is the best value?

MY QUESTION FOR THE WAITLISTED COLLEGES:

what are the chances of getting accepted to thses colleges when you are on the wait list ?

P.S : tuition fees does not matter the most... just want her to thrive and have fun and come out successful in life. .

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE AND YOUR INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED

Last edited by devang026; 03-24-2015 at 06:27 PM..

Old 03-24-2015, 07:35 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,275 times
Does anyone have opinions on SUNY New Paltz for a commuter

Old 04-06-2015, 10:41 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,235,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAguila View Post
The Cal State universities out in California are a great value. Tuition is about $8000 (in state) each year. Everyone knows about the UC schools, but the Cal States can save you a ton of money. UCs cost about double for tuition.
They are a great value, yes, but in terms of rigor they do not compare to the UCs as the UCs are based more theory and preparation for grad school.

Also like the UCs, the CSUs heavily favor Californian residents above everyone else also it is easier for a non-resident to get into a CSU than into a UC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devang026 View Post
Hello all,
This is my first thread and hoping to get some versatile input so we can make a wise decision.
We live in los angeles , ca. We have a 17 year old daughter , she did her high school from a public school and she wants to choose psychology major and than probably go into law ,
she got into :
university of washington (seattle)
university of santa clara
boston university
university of san francisco (AID OFFERED)
LMU
UNIVERSITY OF THE PACIFIC (AID OFFERED)

she got wait listed to
UCSD (HER DREAM COLLEGE)
UC IRVINE
US SANTABARBARA
CAL STATE SLO

my questions are pertaining for the colleges she got accepted

1. which college she can be benefited the most ?
2. which college she can get best quality of education ?
3. where are the best programmes and classes offered?
4. which college has the best and supporting alumni ?
5. which college student will be offered the highest job or will be favoured for the job?
6. which college has the best surrounding and fun to be in ?
7. which college has the best transfer rate to and much better college if she thrives in her grade ?
8. which college is the best value?

MY QUESTION FOR THE WAITLISTED COLLEGES:

what are the chances of getting accepted to thses colleges when you are on the wait list ?

P.S : tuition fees does not matter the most... just want her to thrive and have fun and come out successful in life. .

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE AND YOUR INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED
1. This is something that only your daughter can answer as she is the only one who can answer the question of fit.

2. In reality this is subjective as she can get a quality education where-ever she goes, but based on the list I would go with Washington or BU based on admits, and, UCSD and UCI from the waitlist.

It is obvious she did not select schools based on program rank (for undergraduate psychology programs). Then again, you do not mention the schools she was rejected from.

3. From your list, in order of rank if that matters; UCSD, Washington, UCI, UCSB, and then BU for the top five (for undergraduate psychology programs).

4. See #3. Personally, I would lean towards Washington in this regard.

5. If she is looking to enter into a top Ph.D. program or Law School than UCSD or Washington, but really, there are too many other variables to account for here. Otherwise, silly question.

6. Totally subjective but I would say the Cal State SLO and University of the Pacific are going to be the worst.

7. All. As someone who transferred from community college into a university and then again from university to university, I can safely say that it does not matter where you are coming from. What will matter the most are GPA, courses taken (the more rigorous the better), and reason for wanting to transfer. I will tell you this: prestige is a very bad reason to transfer and the one "excuse" that will certainly guarantee rejections. Bad mouthing the current school is another way to also guarantee rejections.

8. Once again, totally subjective. If your daughter is a resident, then any of the schools located in California will be the best value.

To the waitlist; there is no way to know. Some schools rank those on the waitlist and simply go down the line beginning with #1. It is possible that your daughter is ranked #50 at UCSD, yet they only take #s 1 - 49 off the waitlist. Or they could admit zero students from the waitlist. Or, it may not be until late summer until she comes off...

It is also possible that the adcomms want to admit her but there is something in her application that is holding her back from a definite yes. She won't be ranked in this case but it can take a few months of deliberation before a final decision is made.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 10,356 times
Top Universities
Kansas State University
Oklahoma State University

Old 04-19-2015, 03:02 PM

19 posts, read 65,324 times
Hi all,
I'm attending a local community college in Chicago for accounting and would like to transfer to a 4-year college next year. My gpa is 3.0-3.2 I was told that Depaul is a good school for accounting major but I don't really want to carry a big loan upon graduation. With that gpa I know it'd be impossible for me to transfer to UIUC. I'm wondering if Northern Illinois University in Dekalb is a good school for accountancy? Or should I roll a dice and go to Depaul? Thanks

Old 04-19-2015, 03:08 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lullaby001 View Post
Hi all,
I'm attending a local community college in Chicago for accounting and would like to transfer to a 4-year college next year. My gpa is 3.0-3.2 I was told that Depaul is a good school for accounting major but I don't really want to carry a big loan upon graduation. With that gpa I know it'd be impossible for me to transfer to UIUC. I'm wondering if Northern Illinois University in Dekalb is a good school for accountancy? Or should I roll a dice and go to Depaul? Thanks
Inquire at all of the above about the financial aid package they might be able to offer you.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:27 PM

19 posts, read 65,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Inquire at all of the above about the financial aid package they might be able to offer you.
Thanks for the quick response. Depaul's annual tuition is 32,000. They have better networking and are located in the heart of Chicago. But their tuition is killing me...

Old 01-04-2016, 06:25 PM

244 posts, read 414,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Yes it does make a difference. Here are the rankings for the top grad schools with that major: Top Schools with Sport Management Graduate Programs

The people that do the hiring know themselves what programs are good. My daughter went to a tiny college but went onto the #1 college for her major for grad school. She was hired within a month of graduation.

I never personally attended RIT but my brother did and I grew up twenty minutes to the south.

The school has a great reputation and my brother enjoyed his time there. As far as culture goes, it is definitely a "tech" school in the sense that the "nerd" factor is very strong; I'm not saying this as a negative, just something to consider for someone who doesn't love computers and Magic! The Gathering. I had quite a few friends that I visited while they attended there and they all had good experiences overall. I would encourage it.

Winters will suck and the campus is a wind tunnel, but there is usually a way to get around campus while staying indoors (at least between academic buildings).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities