Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound09 View Post
The school I attend has been forced to rent books because they were losing so much money. In the next 10 years, most textbooks will be online and available for download... the need for hardcopy books will drastically decrease
Same here, but renting the books is still more expensive than amazon or other websites.

I've seen classmates taking the same courses together and renting in groups to divide the costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 12:25 AM

44 posts, read 116,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
craigslist, amazon, abebooks. it depends. if it's the exact book and the last edition, the college bookstore will buy it for almost nothing.
Great idea. For whatever reason, Craigslist never even occurred to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
For resell, Amazon hands down. They give you higher prices even though its in amazon dollars (which are spent on more books, so essentially like cash for me) with free shipping.

For procurement, I do the following :
A) Google search "______ + pdf"
B) Bookstore (they have been cheaper on two occasions)
C) Half.com
D) Amazon
I wasn't aware Amazon had a buy-back program. Thank you for pointing this out. Using their trade-in website, you can quickly determine what they will offer. Appears to be decent, about 60% or so, assuming good condition.

Direct link for others that are curious: Amazon.com: Sell Your Books

Also, fantastic idea on the PDF search option. Already found one book I needed that way. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Amazon, ebay and the college bookstore. I'm in grad school and I keep all of my books. When I was an undergrad, I believe they gave you pennies on the dollar when you sold them back, if they bought them back at all.
I looked up the school's bookstore buy-back policy. Looks like best case scenario is 50% refund, if they NEED the book and it is in good enough condition for them. Otherwise, you get wholesale price, which I read as pennies on the dollar.

Quote:
Campus Stores Buyback Policy
The Campus Stores will conduct a course book buyback on each campus at the end of each semester. The buyback is presented as a service to the **** student. It is an opportunity afforded to the student to reap some benefit from the sale of those course books no longer wanted or needed.

The policy is as follows:

• The buyback will be held the last five days of finals during the Fall and Spring semesters and the last two days of finals during the Summer semester.
• The student will receive up to fifty percent (50%) of the established **** new book price for any book the College Stores need.
• Books not needed by the **** Campus Stores that are of marketable value may be sold at a price established by the wholesale book company performing the buyback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound09 View Post
The school I attend has been forced to rent books because they were losing so much money. In the next 10 years, most textbooks will be online and available for download... the need for hardcopy books will drastically decrease
I really don't understand why downloaded PDF/eBooks aren't already supported by all colleges. Especially for those taking online classes. It just makes sense. If a person prefers not to use an iPad, Kindle, etc. they can always print & bind the book for a fraction of the cost of buying a pre-printed book.

I've seen a few places where you can purchase the PDF version from the publisher. Seems to me, a group of students would pool their money and pursue this option and then share the file.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:14 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opsec View Post
Great idea. For whatever reason, Craigslist never even occurred to me.

I wasn't aware Amazon had a buy-back program. Thank you for pointing this out. Using their trade-in website, you can quickly determine what they will offer. Appears to be decent, about 60% or so, assuming good condition.

Direct link for others that are curious: Amazon.com: Sell Your Books

Also, fantastic idea on the PDF search option. Already found one book I needed that way. Thanks!

I looked up the school's bookstore buy-back policy. Looks like best case scenario is 50% refund, if they NEED the book and it is in good enough condition for them. Otherwise, you get wholesale price, which I read as pennies on the dollar.

I really don't understand why downloaded PDF/eBooks aren't already supported by all colleges. Especially for those taking online classes. It just makes sense. If a person prefers not to use an iPad, Kindle, etc. they can always print & bind the book for a fraction of the cost of buying a pre-printed book.

I've seen a few places where you can purchase the PDF version from the publisher. Seems to me, a group of students would pool their money and pursue this option and then share the file.
you can't always print the book - at my school ebooks come with limits on the printing. you can only print ten pages and then it doesn't let you print any more. also, some of the e versions are not the same - don't come with cd's or other extra materials that may be necessary for the class, for example. finally, for my latest class, the ebook the school bookstore sells is more expensive than the hard copy on amazon.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:35 AM

3,444 posts, read 3,367,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Amazon. Way cheaper than any school bookstore. They are like Gamestop. Buy a book back from you for pennies on the dollar, then turn around and sell it for 90% of the cost of a new book, and god forbid all they have left is the copy that looks like it barely survived a hurricane. Because they won't give you a discount, and if you try and sell it back, they will be like oh no we're not taking it, even though that's the condition you bought it in.

Racket.
Haha, funny you mention GameStop. They are indeed such a ripoff, when it comes to reselling used video games, after they rip you off on its real used value purchasing your used games. And you are right about Amazon....

Old 10-04-2011, 05:23 PM

389 posts, read 916,355 times
Our daughter used a variety -- Amazon (new & used), plus campusbookrentals (for the expensive ones and she had no plans to keep them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities