Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 PM

3,785 posts, read 4,624,248 times

Advertisements

How many of you went to school part-time while working a 40 hour a week job?

I just transferred to a 4 year college after receiving my associates. I really am not sure I'll be able to handle it. I'm majoring in accounting so I will take some very difficult classes. Between working 40 hours a week and taking 2 classes a semester of those type of business courses. I just am not sure I will be able to handle it.

I've been going to a CC for awhile part-time while working full time and I finally accomplished that. But I'm starting to think that I'm just getting in over my head.

I know it's possible but going part-time it will take 4-5 years so it's a long exhausting road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 06:30 AM

912 posts, read 1,325,858 times
If you are having a hard time with two classes ,then reduce it if possibles to one .Ask yourself ,can I afford to work part time or is full time neccessary for your needs ?This is something only you can answer in regards to your financial matters .

Old 09-29-2011, 08:51 AM

12,058 posts, read 23,054,177 times
I did it with undergrad and I'm doing it now in grad school. I work 50 hours a week now. Sometimes I worked a lot more than that while in undergrad. Many people have done it, and will continue to do it. Whether you do it or not is up to you.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:53 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,076,415 times
Got to work at 5AM, my Sgt let me go early (4:30 PM)
And I drove straight to school.

In class till 9, then went home to do homework and sleep.
3x week.

What sucked was when I had to get home and do homework before bed!

Old 09-29-2011, 10:15 AM

1,956 posts, read 4,856,889 times
I did it when I was in school.It was really hard for me. My grades went downhill.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
If you are having a hard time with two classes ,then reduce it if possibles to one .Ask yourself ,can I afford to work part time or is full time neccessary for your needs ?This is something only you can answer in regards to your financial matters .

Well, I'm only taking 1 class right now I mentioned 2 because realistically I will have to take 2 classes.

The only reason I took 1 this time was because I wanted to get the hang of A, taking a 300+ level class and B, getting used to going to that school. Plus, I didn't have any other classses that I felt comfortable taking at the time (classes were full).

Working part-time is not an option. I'm almost 30 and while I don't have a mortgage I do have to maintain my current job. I have a good job now with security and people around me that I feel good about. So I wouldn't want to jeaporadize that by quitting.

I think a big problem for me is the long road ahead. Then I keep reading about how a business major is a dime a dozen and not that great. Accounting is in it's own little world but really unless you go about getting your CPA I'm not sure how important accounting is.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I did it with undergrad and I'm doing it now in grad school. I work 50 hours a week now. Sometimes I worked a lot more than that while in undergrad. Many people have done it, and will continue to do it. Whether you do it or not is up to you.
That's impressive. What is your major/degree in?

Old 09-29-2011, 12:12 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,595,109 times
My opinion... unless its a great job and is paiying for school... quit, go to school full time, or become part time at a bull**** job.

My first go around in school, I worked to much and tried to do school and school suffered, not work. I was doing 40 hours, and ~12 credits.

My 2nd time, I had a pregnant wife, worked 40-50, and had 18 credits. But was in a program I loved. It was hard, took alot of time management but got it done. Grades did slip but I was still 3.75 range.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:19 PM

39 posts, read 135,084 times
I work full time (37.5 hrs) a week and attend college above full time, did 18 credits last semester and 15 this semester.

BTW I'm married with children, have a goal and determination and work and college is doable.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
My opinion... unless its a great job and is paiying for school... quit, go to school full time, or become part time at a bull**** job.

My first go around in school, I worked to much and tried to do school and school suffered, not work. I was doing 40 hours, and ~12 credits.

My 2nd time, I had a pregnant wife, worked 40-50, and had 18 credits. But was in a program I loved. It was hard, took alot of time management but got it done. Grades did slip but I was still 3.75 range.
That's easier said than done in this economy. I'm almost 30 years old. I can't afford to just stop working the job I've been at for 13 years with a good future (for somebody with no degree). Especially when they are helpful with school in terms of a school friendly schedule. I do work full time but they are okay with me leaving early days and taking care of personal business when I need to.

But I know what you're saying. It's just there is a future for me at the company I'm at and it does have great security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities