Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 06:00 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

An IEP doesn't determine whether or not a student receives a diploma. One of my sons went through HS with one, and still had to complete all the necessary coursework to earn that diploma. An IEP also doesn't come into play for most college admissions (some schools do cater to LD students). My son had to fill out the same application and go through the same process as everyone else. He also had to meet the required GPA and ACT scores. It was only after he was admitted that he requested accommodations for his learning disability.

I honestly think the OP is confusing a certificate of completion with a diploma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 06:37 PM

26,728 posts, read 26,812,827 times
In my state a student with an IEP can recieve a diploma if h/she passes the CAHSEE (High School Exit Exam) and the required courses. If he cannot pass the exam--he has to have attempted it at least twice--and passes the required courses, he receives a certificate of completion.

An IEP covers an array of disabilities from an auditory processing disorder to a mood disorder; all must affect the student's ability to learn, and some disabilities are obviously far more severe than others.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 PM

912 posts, read 1,332,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
An IEP doesn't determine whether or not a student receives a diploma. One of my sons went through HS with one, and still had to complete all the necessary coursework to earn that diploma. An IEP also doesn't come into play for most college admissions (some schools do cater to LD students). My son had to fill out the same application and go through the same process as everyone else. He also had to meet the required GPA and ACT scores. It was only after he was admitted that he requested accommodations for his learning disability.

I honestly think the OP is confusing a certificate of completion with a diploma.

All I originally wanted to know is simply this,has anyone known of someone that originally got a special/certificate of completion then went on to, get a GED,so that they could attend a two school such as a community college/trade school.As a side note,in the state of Fl it does say " special " right on the diploma .This was intended simply as a question,not a debate about IEP's not everyone can go to college .Thankfully ,I am one of them who can choose to go on to college .

Old 10-04-2011, 10:10 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
All I originally wanted to know is simply this,has anyone known of someone that originally got a special/certificate of completion then went on to, get a GED,so that they could attend a two school such as a community college/trade school.As a side note,in the state of Fl it does say " special " right on the diploma .This was intended simply as a question,not a debate about IEP's not everyone can go to college .Thankfully ,I am one of them who can choose to go on to college .
No. None of the kids I've worked with -- that earned a Special Ed diploma -- ever went on to earn a GED and then attend college.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:17 AM

26,728 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
All I originally wanted to know is simply this, has anyone known of someone that originally got a special/certificate of completion then went on to, get a GED,so that they could attend a two school such as a community college.
You would get either a GED, a diploma or a certificate of completion of high school. Once the student has one of these, h/she does not need to seek another. One can pursue a GED at any time in his life if he has not completed high school, but one must be age 19 or under to recieve the diploma or certificate. (A GED here requires passing scores in five subjects but no minimum number of hours of courses, unlike a diploma or a certificate.) CA community colleges will accept a certificate of completion if the student has an IEP. Yes, I know several young adults who have attended two year colleges with a certificate or a GED.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,104 times
ok im a sophmore in HS and I have a LD but do you have to get dignosed from a doctor to be in support or special ed classes in college? because my school says I have one but I dont no if you have to get one from a doctor if your school already said you did.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:07 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethannnnn View Post
ok im a sophmore in HS and I have a LD but do you have to get dignosed from a doctor to be in support or special ed classes in college? because my school says I have one but I dont no if you have to get one from a doctor if your school already said you did.
You really should start your own thread because people may not notice and address the OP...but if you have an IEP at school, the colleges you apply to will see it in your records. You do not need a Dr's diagnosis for an IEP, it's usually based on testing by the Child Study Team when you started school (or when they noticed you were struggling). There is something else called a 501 Plan, which usually does need a Dr's diagnosis, but if that's what you had you wouldn't be in special ed classes (it instead allows for accommodations to be made for the student in regular ed classes). I think the guidance counselor at your school would be the best person to talk with, though.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:28 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethannnnn View Post
Please check details with the University that you may be interested in attending. I am pretty familiar with colleges and Universities in my state and NONE of them offer "special ed classes". Now, most have some type of "disability services" for students with certain types of special needs. For example a deaf student may have the lectured transcribed for him/her and blind student may have text books on tape or in braille. A "typical" LD student may be allowed to take exams in a quieter room or possibly allowed extra time to take an exam or maybe extra tutoring.

To my knowledge no colleges in my state offer "modifications" to coursework or modifications regarding graduation requirements. If you can't do all of the work in the class it is reflected in your grade, you are not allowed to do something different. For example, if in HS you only had to turn in a two page research paper when all of the other students were required to do five page papers do not expect that to happen in college. If you are required to do a 25 page paper in a college class and you turn in a 10 page paper you probably will get an F. Sorry to be so blunt.

Now, colleges vary in how competitive they are. So take a PSAT to get an idea of how you score on your SAT. If your SAT is a 22 don't apply to colleges where most freshman score a 26 or 30 or 32.
In other words don't apply to Harvard or other top notch Universities if your grades and scores would predict that you won't be successful. Try a small, local community college instead.

Also, talk to your high school guidance counselor about this issue.

Old 12-14-2013, 07:38 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Please check details with the University that you may be interested in attending. I am pretty familiar with colleges and Universities in my state and NONE of them offer "special ed classes". Now, most have some type of "disability services" for students with certain types of special needs. For example a deaf student may have the lectured transcribed for him/her and blind student may have text books on tape or in braille. A "typical" LD student may be allowed to take exams in a quieter room or possibly allowed extra time to take an exam or maybe extra tutoring.

To my knowledge no colleges in my state offer "modifications" to coursework or modifications regarding graduation requirements. If you can't do all of the work in the class it is reflected in your grade, you are not allowed to do something different. For example, if in HS you only had to turn in a two page research paper when all of the other students were required to do five page papers do not expect that to happen in college. If you are required to do a 25 page paper in a college class and you turn in a 10 page paper you probably will get an F. Sorry to be so blunt.

Now, colleges vary in how competitive they are. So take a PSAT to get an idea of how you score on your SAT. If your SAT is a 22 don't apply to colleges where most freshman score a 26 or 30 or 32.
In other words don't apply to Harvard or other top notch Universities if your grades and scores would predict that you won't be successful. Try a small, local community college instead.

Also, talk to your high school guidance counselor about this issue.
There are actually college programs that specialize in students with learning disabilities: Colleges With The BEST Learning Disability Programs (PHOTOS)

Old 12-14-2013, 08:33 AM

809 posts, read 1,331,065 times
Check with the institution you want to attend. Ask them if they will accept your GED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities