Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 07:22 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,531,725 times

Advertisements

I have decided to go back to school for a masters in electrical engineering, specifically power systems, and/or industrial controls. I have recently changed jobs, and went from a computer/software type of work to a facilities/construction type.

There is a program offered at my job that they let you take a year off with salary to pursue academic training. They pay tuition and they also pay lodging. I have decided not to pursue an on line program because honestly I don't have the discipline to stay in front of a computer listening to a professor talk for 2 hours. Also I have found that on line programs are way too theory based.

I want a school that offers a hands on perspective to education. I prefer a school that has small classes and accessible faculty, and accessible labs and resources. As far a s power systems goes, I need classes on power distribution, power system control and operation and power plant design. In regards to control, I don't need the theory as much as I need skills on DCS, PLC's and Microcomputer control. Also a class on control networks would be very beneficial.

As far as admissions, I don't want a school that puts so much weight on the GRE, but instead a school that values field experience. Honestly I have taken the GRE a couple of times and I don't see to get more than 600 on the quantitative part, and forget about the verbal (english is not my first language). I already have an MBA and I am a P.E.

Location wise, I would prefer West, Southwest, and Southeast. Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 01:34 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,161,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
I have decided to go back to school for a masters in electrical engineering, specifically power systems, and/or industrial controls. I have recently changed jobs, and went from a computer/software type of work to a facilities/construction type.

There is a program offered at my job that they let you take a year off with salary to pursue academic training. They pay tuition and they also pay lodging. I have decided not to pursue an on line program because honestly I don't have the discipline to stay in front of a computer listening to a professor talk for 2 hours. Also I have found that on line programs are way too theory based.

I want a school that offers a hands on perspective to education. I prefer a school that has small classes and accessible faculty, and accessible labs and resources. As far a s power systems goes, I need classes on power distribution, power system control and operation and power plant design. In regards to control, I don't need the theory as much as I need skills on DCS, PLC's and Microcomputer control. Also a class on control networks would be very beneficial.

As far as admissions, I don't want a school that puts so much weight on the GRE, but instead a school that values field experience. Honestly I have taken the GRE a couple of times and I don't see to get more than 600 on the quantitative part, and forget about the verbal (english is not my first language). I already have an MBA and I am a P.E.

Location wise, I would prefer West, Southwest, and Southeast. Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
Man, oh, man.

I wish I had your job.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Man, oh, man.

I wish I had your job.
Yes, it's a great opportunity!

Old 09-27-2011, 02:26 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,292,152 times
university of texas at austin.

Best in the south-west

Old 09-28-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
university of texas at austin.

Best in the south-west
UT austin is one of my favorite schools, but like I said, I need a school that is targeted more to working professionals. Many graduate students that go there are full time.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:55 PM

17,237 posts, read 57,256,011 times
I would say, ask your boss - he/she ought to know. If you can find something fairly close to where you are now, you would not need to move your stuff out of your current house or apartment.

We can do something similar but don't get the year off with pay, but can get tuition reimbursed based on decent grades. This tends to lead to taking just a few courses at a time so the degree takes a lot of clock time to get finished.

Again people in your department at work will know what works for your company better than me, anyway.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:34 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,296,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
UT austin is one of my favorite schools, but like I said, I need a school that is targeted more to working professionals. Many graduate students that go there are full time.

Since you said the Southwest, University of Houston offers PhD in all the engineering disciplines. There is a very high percentage of adult students and evening students in programs all across the campus. You have a sweet deal with your job.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:36 PM

181 posts, read 358,325 times
University of South Florida just got Angilent (?) software for the EE students. It was a big deal, considered a $25 million donation to College of Engineering (I think that's a little inflated, but... it's certainly valuable). Tampa's a great place to live. USF has a lot of commuter students (19%) and almost all the graduate classes are offered at night because of this. COE has 3800 students, EE 400 (about 50/50 undergrad/grad). I'm in the Civil Dept and the labs and hands on learning are plentiful and up to date. Hope that helps some.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMor2Day View Post
University of South Florida just got Angilent (?) software for the EE students. It was a big deal, considered a $25 million donation to College of Engineering (I think that's a little inflated, but... it's certainly valuable). Tampa's a great place to live. USF has a lot of commuter students (19%) and almost all the graduate classes are offered at night because of this. COE has 3800 students, EE 400 (about 50/50 undergrad/grad). I'm in the Civil Dept and the labs and hands on learning are plentiful and up to date. Hope that helps some.
Actually, I was considering USF since is only 1 hour and a half away from where I live. I understand they have an MSEE program with a Power/Controls track. I was checking their classes schedule, and I only saw a handful of power classes like Power Electronics and Power Systems, probably that would be enough. Would you happen to know their GRE requirements? The last time I took the GRE I couldn’t get a higher score than 600 in the Quantitative part. I am really bad with computer based tests like that.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Since you said the Southwest, University of Houston offers PhD in all the engineering disciplines. There is a very high percentage of adult students and evening students in programs all across the campus. You have a sweet deal with your job.
Thanks! Yes, I have checked the University of Houston website, and they actually have an MSEE in Industrial Power Systems with lots of classes in that field.

Master of Electrical Engineering (MEE) Program

There admission requirements seem pretty flexible and geared toward professionals. Thanks a lot for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities