Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:19 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I would strongly suggest that you reach a little wider with the safety schools. While she may be a B+ student, the reach colleges that you've mentioned UNC (assuming you mean Chapel Hill), Cornell, UCLA and Columbia are reaches for anyone. North Carolina schools have a state mandate of only accepting about 7% OOS students so those students will be pretty remarkable. Cornell accepts 18%, Columbia 10%, and UCLA 22%. That means that at all those colleges 78 - 90% are NOT accepted. My nephew had an 800 on his math SAT, went to a magnet math - science school in Manhattan, getting just about all A's and was denied at Columbia. He was very happy that Cornell did accept him.

I would suggest looking at some New York schools just to get an idea of what type of school appeals. Try Drew University, Marist College or maybe visit both Ithaca as well as Cornell. Are you sure she doesn't want a techy field? Every techy school we visited made a huge point of saying how much they welcomed girls, especially financially.
The quota is low, but not that low. Carolina accepts 82% instate and 18% out of state. With that said trying to get into UNC from out of state is extremely difficult. A lot of people, including a lot of people from OOS, want to go because it is a spectacular school and that makes for intense competition. They only accept 32% of applicants and of the OOS applicant pool that number drops to 19%.

UNC General Alumni Association :: Admissions FAQs |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
To The OP:

PS - want to have serious insurance of minimizing hassles - pick a school which offers single room housing. Roommate issues can (are) a major source of hassle for students.

Pick a school that offers individual room setups, no sharing of kitchen, etc. Its not common, mostly offered for honors program kids, but trust me - it is worth the minor extra cost.
There is a LOT to be learned that relates to real life by having to deal with a roommate. I would NOT suggest ANY freshman live in a single room. Sure, there can be some major issues at times but for MOST students, it isn't an issue at all. If you do have issues, there are ways to deal with them.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:09 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Randomstudent, you are right. Not sure why I was thinking 7%. This site shows the percentage of OOS students attending all North Carolina Colleges. https://www.collegetoolkit.com/colle...rolina/37.aspx

My understanding is that every year the North Carolina state legislature votes on the percentage of OOS students to be allowed into their state supported colleges. I wish Pennsylvania did something like that.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:20 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
There is a LOT to be learned that relates to real life by having to deal with a roommate. I would NOT suggest ANY freshman live in a single room. Sure, there can be some major issues at times but for MOST students, it isn't an issue at all. If you do have issues, there are ways to deal with them.
Different viewpoints are what make conversation interesting and your take, as usual, is perfectly valid.

BUT - if a roommate situation goes bad, it can go very bad and have serious consequences on the student's performance as well as the kid's personal happiness.

Personally, I prefer to hedge my bets whenever possible, more so as the stakes go up. The benefit of room sharing has some merit, but I question the "cost/benefit" factor if it goes bad. Why roll the dice?

Both mine lived in single rooms from the freshman year through completion of grad school. They both were floor residents and then dorm managers throughout their tenure, as well as being peer counselors. Their interpersonal skills, meet & deal, team work, group leadership, etc. seemed to develop quite well. They both held numerous leadership posts and reportedly had a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

By all accounts, they relate that a private room was an excellent and very positive benefit. JTO&M (Just their opinion and mine)

Old 10-05-2011, 08:33 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
First some background before the question.

My first born is a Junior in HS this year. To date she has been a good student, more A's than B's, no C's. She has the potential to do better, her first 2 years of HS she got grades without trying terribly hard, being more interested in friends and such.

This summer she's matured quite a bit and is stepping up her studies. She volunteers with kids as a church counselor and at the local hospital. She's studying hard for PSAT and I expect solid grades this year. She should have some good choices for schools by tying her acceptable academics to a focused essay that shows a commitment to serving kids and the elderly.

She is not sure of what she wants to do, except that she's strongly leading toward Soc/Psych type programs. Her best guess now is that she wants to be a child psychologist. Although she is not strong in that conviction and I suspect as with most, she will change directions once at school.

My first question is one of practicality. I believe a liberal arts degree is a great baseline that can dovetail nicely into several grad programs (law, MBA, PHD progams, etc.) I also am aware that there are many Liberal Arts BA grads waiting tables. I'd like to guide my daughter toward a program that lends itself well to scale toward an advanced degree, at the same time having marketable value if she does not continue on to grad school.

Secondly, as with most proud parents, I'd like her to get the best education possible. We're in NY which has many great choices however she is the adventurous type and would prefer to go out of state. I'd like her to reach for Cornell or Columbia with the SUNY schools as safety schools. So far she has shown interest in UNC, UCLA, Texas and Penn State. I would support her going to any of the above. She understands the OOS tuition disadvantages and the difficulty getting in to these schools which is a motivator for her. Which is good.

Any advice on schools or programs within a particular school that I should guide her toward would be appreciated. Her interests and volunteer work line up nicely with a liberal arts program of study. I'm hopeful that admissions offices will look favorably on her activities being "socially concious". It's early to select a college and course of study, but I think keeping that carrot in front of her will motivate to achieve her potential.
Since the OP does not seem to be putting a priority on single rooms, I think it would be a good idea if this conversation does not focus on that.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Another "rule" we have for our kids, as do many of our friends and the Housing Director at our oldest son's school strongly recommends is to NOT room with a friend freshman year. Something to consider when picking out schools as well. It's a good way to turn a good friendship bad. One thing our kids have all said is that they don't want to go to a college where there are a lot of kids from their high school, which I agree with for the most part--but it is throwing a bit of a wrench into MY plans for them to pick out a cheep state school that is academically strong .

Old 10-05-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Since the OP does not seem to be putting a priority on single rooms, I think it would be a good idea if this conversation does not focus on that.
Message received, done on my side. Though a newbie, soon-for-college parent might want to hear the extrapolations on the general topic of effective college planning from those who have been there. The OP may want to weigh in on the subject. JMO

golfgal: Mucho sympatico (no promises on spelling), We who are done have serious empathy for those who come behind us. Luck!

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 10-05-2011 at 11:30 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Randomstudent, you are right. Not sure why I was thinking 7%. This site shows the percentage of OOS students attending all North Carolina Colleges. https://www.collegetoolkit.com/colle...rolina/37.aspx

My understanding is that every year the North Carolina state legislature votes on the percentage of OOS students to be allowed into their state supported colleges. I wish Pennsylvania did something like that.
Yes every year the state legislature does set the percentage of in state students to be accepted. It is usually around 80%+ for undergrad. The reason they do this is because the legislature views the state constitution as requiring them to reserve the benefits of the UNC system primarily for North Carolinians. The state constitution is also why they try to keep in state tuition as low as possible.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yes every year the state legislature does set the percentage of in state students to be accepted. It is usually around 80%+ for undergrad. The reason they do this is because the legislature views the state constitution as requiring them to reserve the benefits of the UNC system primarily for North Carolinians.
Your point is absolutely correct. All state supported schools are subsidized with state tax funds. It is entirely understandable that state schools manage their in/out populations for the maximal benefit of the institution and state taxpayers as a whole.

More than a few states (CA, VA, MI, GA, to name a few, etc.) have world class state institutions that are well worth the costs in comparison to the "Ivies".

The state legislatures are doing their job in providing guidance in the %s of non-local attendees that may benefit from attending such highly regarded institutions (and charge them OOS rates accordingly).

Old 10-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
She is not sure of what she wants to do, except that she's strongly leading toward Soc/Psych type programs. Her best guess now is that she wants to be a child psychologist. Although she is not strong in that conviction and I suspect as with most, she will change directions once at school.

My first question is one of practicality. I believe a liberal arts degree is a great baseline that can dovetail nicely into several grad programs (law, MBA, PHD progams, etc.) I also am aware that there are many Liberal Arts BA grads waiting tables. I'd like to guide my daughter toward a program that lends itself well to scale toward an advanced degree, at the same time having marketable value if she does not continue on to grad school.
My question would be how tied is she to the idea of going to graduate school? The reason being is I think that changes how I would look at the entire thing. I was quite tied to the idea that my BA would not be my terminal degree and that influenced a fair amount of my decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities