Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 39,972 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am thinking of applying for exchange to state for 1 semester from August to December 2012.

I am studying Mechatronic Engineering (basically mechanical + electrical stuff, like robotics), and I have the following options:

American University
Arizona State University
Boston College
California State University
Georgia Institute of Technology
Northeastern University
Purdue University
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
State University of New York at Plattsburgh
State University of New York at Stony Brook
Texas A&M University
Tulane University
Washington University
University of Arizona
University of Connecticut (U21)
University of Florida
University of Illinois
University of Massachusetts
University of Richmond
University of South Carolina
University of Texas at Austin
University of Virginia (U21)
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin - Madison
University of Wisconsin - Madison (ENG)
University of Wyoming

LOL it's a long list, sorry for that
so i was checking the rankings, and UIUC is pretty impressive for engineering, as well as Purdue, Georgia TEch and Texas @Austin. But the rankings are pretty close though.

However UIUC is not allowed for me to take electrical course so I may not be accepted in this case.

So the only big difference is the cities. Which one of the above would be good to live in? (considering things to do, living cost, weather, and cool places nearby ...).
Also I am planning to travel state while i'm studying there, so which city would be best and easier for me to travel ??

PS: I love partying and drinking haha, so won't mind the crazy college parties, in fact i wanna experience the real america college life haha :P but one thing im still underage so won't be able to get in pubs and clubs

Sorry for such a long post, i hope u guys can give me some ideas, and any other school above in the list is available. thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 11:02 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterinuq View Post
PS: I love partying and drinking haha, so won't mind the crazy college parties, in fact i wanna experience the real america college life haha :P but one thing im still underage so won't be able to get in pubs and clubs
ut austin

Old 10-12-2011, 11:58 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,330 times
You're right in that all are highly respected engineering schools, so you can't go wrong on educational quality. I've actually met several engineers from abroad studying at UT with similar choices in schools, and they chose it for the combination of education and atmosphere. It's in central Austin, which still offers plenty of activity for those of us who are underage. Georgia Tech is in downtown Atlanta, but the entertainment there seems to be geared toward a young professional crowd, so I think it would be much less of a college-y feel, with less to offer for the <21 crowd. The other two schools are in smaller cities, so although they'd be less exciting, their culture is probably more focused on the school itself.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 39,972 times
thanks for reply guys.

uhmm seems like Austin's a cool city, even for underages but i heard that bugs there are really annoying, since im going from August to December (which is winter), are bugs still gonna be a problem and get really hot?
I also wanna know out of all the options there, which one is easier to travel around usa? because i wanna visit places like California, New york, Chicago, Miami and some other famous places during weekends when im studying there.

Also cos I'm not planning to buy a car, so hows the public transport in those cities, and living cost as well??

thank you!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
thanks for reply guys.

uhmm seems like Austin's a cool city, even for underages but i heard that bugs there are really annoying, since im going from August to December (which is winter), are bugs still gonna be a problem and get really hot?
I also wanna know out of all the options there, which one is easier to travel around usa? because i wanna visit places like California, New york, Chicago, Miami and some other famous places during weekends when im studying there.

Also cos I'm not planning to buy a car, so hows the public transport in those cities, and living cost as well??

thank you!
Living cost is high in certain areas of Austin-- low if you want to live off Riverside or something (which I did for a while-- not so bad). Public transportation is definitely as good if not better than Atlanta. I lived without a car for 3 years there-- it is kind of tough, but it is possible. Most students live on campus. Will probably have to take a greyhound or plane if you want to visit Miami or something like that.

Not sure what you are talking about with "bugs"... All cities in the world have bugs. Austin isn't any different then any city as far as insects go. There are no tarantulas/giant ants/not many fire ants if that is what you mean...

The temperature will be great in the winter there.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:39 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,574,330 times
Quote:
thanks for reply guys.

thank you!
Austin has a fairly comprehensive bus system that's free for all UT students, so it's certainly possible to go without a car. Most do in fact. I have a car, but it's parked over 1 1/2 miles away since that's what I can afford. I use it at most once a week, basically only to go outside of Austin. Atlanta has a small rail system and I'm sure a good bus system, but it's more spread out than Austin in general.

Bugs really haven't been a big problem at all. I can't imagine that it would be better or worse anywhere else. The heat will be very intense August and September though. Granted, this has been the worst summer on record for Austin, but it's just now getting into the low 90s for highs. I got used to it surprisingly fast.

Atlanta has one of the busiest airports in the world, so it would have the best travel options. Austin's is smaller, so you would probably have to make more connecting flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Living cost is high in certain areas of Austin-- low if you want to live off Riverside or something (which I did for a while-- not so bad). Public transportation is definitely as good if not better than Atlanta. I lived without a car for 3 years there-- it is kind of tough, but it is possible. Most students live on campus. Will probably have to take a greyhound or plane if you want to visit Miami or something like that.

Not sure what you are talking about with "bugs"... All cities in the world have bugs. Austin isn't any different then any city as far as insects go. There are no tarantulas/giant ants/not many fire ants if that is what you mean...

The temperature will be great in the winter there.
I think you meant to put "don't" in there somewhere. UT doesn't have enough room to house all the freshman, much less the whole student body.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:31 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,753 times
UT Austin or GTech

Good luck!

Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
If you can go to Caltech, do so!

Old 10-12-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I think you meant to put "don't" in there somewhere. UT doesn't have enough room to house all the freshman, much less the whole student body.
I should have said "most students live around campus" (west campus, north campus...)

Other students will live away from campus but can easily take the bus in

Yeah, definitely not enough room in the dorms for everyone or anything...

Old 10-13-2011, 06:12 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Hey guys, I am thinking of applying for exchange to state for 1 semester from August to December 2012.

I am studying Mechatronic Engineering (basically mechanical + electrical stuff, like robotics), and I have the following options:

American University
Arizona State University
Boston College
California State University
Georgia Institute of Technology
Northeastern University
Purdue University
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
State University of New York at Plattsburgh
State University of New York at Stony Brook
Texas A&M University
Tulane University
Washington University
University of Arizona
University of Connecticut (U21)
University of Florida
University of Illinois
University of Massachusetts
University of Richmond
University of South Carolina
University of Texas at Austin
University of Virginia (U21)
University of Washington
University of Wisconsin - Madison
University of Wisconsin - Madison (ENG)
University of Wyoming

LOL it's a long list, sorry for that
so i was checking the rankings, and UIUC is pretty impressive for engineering, as well as Purdue, Georgia TEch and Texas @Austin. But the rankings are pretty close though.

However UIUC is not allowed for me to take electrical course so I may not be accepted in this case.

So the only big difference is the cities. Which one of the above would be good to live in? (considering things to do, living cost, weather, and cool places nearby ...).
Also I am planning to travel state while i'm studying there, so which city would be best and easier for me to travel ??

Sorry for such a long post, i hope u guys can give me some ideas, and any other school above in the list is available. thank you!!
Since it's for just one semester I would make it a really good choice in terms of city and proximity to other cities. Austin is fine but not someplace I would steer you toward over other choices on your list. I would opt for Boston which is a great city in it's own right and with large universities like Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern, Harvard, MIT and Tufts all within a few miles of one another, an awesome party scene. From Boston you can hop a train to NYC (4 hours) or have plenty of flights out of Boston-Logan to most anywhere. Boston Area Colleges - Boston Area Universities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities