Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 08:12 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times

Advertisements

If I don't take a math it'll be by choice not a requirement. Marist is too close to home so is new Paltz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:42 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I didn't mean a requirement for your HS graduation, I meant for admissions to a college. Many require four years of math.

This is an interesting map of NY private colleges. New York's Private Colleges & Universities (http://www.nycolleges.org/locations.php - broken link) Do any of these appeal?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:49 PM

255 posts, read 694,708 times
If you are into education, save some cash and go with one of the mid-size SUNY schools, or head north to Siena (since you already have St. Rose on your radar).

Old 10-20-2011, 12:04 PM

667 posts, read 1,743,886 times
I would include SUNY Geneseo in your search for your teaching criteria. Rutgers is a very good school if you can get in as an out of state student. While you're not factoring costs in your decision, it really should be in your agenda and part of your decision making process.

Also, I'm not a big fan of CUNY schools. I went to a CUNY school for one semester and hated it --ended up transfering to RIT. The CUNY admissions board tend to allow even low achieving students into their programs. While I'm all about giving an opportunity, I didnt feel it right, that the same kid who barely graduated out of NYC schools should be in the same classroom as a student that has top grades, extra curricular activites, AP courses, etc., yet that's exactly the environment that I found (many even called it "13th grade").

While there are some schools with good programs that have good reputations (Lehman, John Jay, Hunter, Baruch, Brooklyn College), I rarely see kids that I talk to ever including a CUNY school, even as a 'safety' net school. Also, remember that CUNY schools for the most part are for commuters. So you will experience very little 'school spirit' and likely feel a bit less exposed to your classmates and 'collegiate environment' as you would let's say on a SUNY campus.

On the flip side, the good part about CUNY is that it's a massive network of Colleges under one brand and all in the boros. If you don't like one school you have a pretty good chance at hopping over to another program within the CUNY network. Also at $5,100 a year (+ living expenses), it's a pretty darn good deal. Trust me, it took over 15 years to pay off my student loans and while I feel it was worth the 'investment', it was a monthly reminder as to the high cost of education. Think of this, especially if you're considering a teaching career that may not be as lucrative short term, loan payments can really make it difficult on anyone coming out of school.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:43 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Why don't you get a Fiske's Guide to peruse? It will give you some detail on schools and can help you narrow your search. Your guidance counselor might even have this book in his/her office.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:54 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I have a couple of educator friends who attended Hunter College (CUNY) and speak very highly of it. The diversity of curriculum and varying perspectives as well as community experiences are unparalleled in any of your other choices. Good luck!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:02 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
What about Duquesne University in Pittsburgh? They are offering 50% TUITION discount for education majors! Pittsburgh can be a fun city for college.

15 Colleges Offering Tuition Discounts - SmartMoney.com

Old 11-25-2011, 07:06 PM

919 posts, read 1,689,808 times
Default High school Junior, looking for colleges? Any help?!

So I am a junior in high school and it's time for me to start picking schools that I would like to visit over spring break. Here is a little bit about myself

~Hispanic Female
~ appx 3.6/3.7 GPA ( Between freshman, sophomore and 1 quarter jr year)

If anyone needs more info just please let me know.

I want to major in English Educaion or childhood education with a minor in Pyschology or Sociology ( these 2 are not as important)

I want a school within 2 hours south of NYC and 4 hours north of NYC. In NY or PA

I looked at The City College of New York and I LOVED it.

I looked at the College of Saint Rose, too few students, I want a school with 8000+ students.

I am going to visit SUNY Cortland.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:10 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Consider living at home and attending a junior college for the first two years. You will save a ton of money. Transfer to a low cost four year school.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:54 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Two threads have been merged here. The newest thread starts at post #18.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities