Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:33 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times

Advertisements

College is not overrated. Some particular degrees and institutions may be overrated, but a good investment in higher education - i.e., the right field in the right school (one that balances quality with cost) - has probably never been more important. Even though the unemployment rate has risen significantly for university-educated people, it's half of what it is for those with just high school education. And the best probability at good quality of life professions will remain in the hands of those with higher education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I don't think college degrees are overrated (you still need them to succeed in many fields these days), but think that going straight to college isn't always the right choice for everyone, and I DO think that more students need to be creative about finding ways to fund college educations. I know someone who took out 100k in undergraduate loans alone; I can't imagine ANY situation in which that is a worthwhile investment. College is still worth it for most people, but it doesn't necessarily have to be the four-year, live-on-campus, "traditional" experience. (although nothing wrong with that, either, and in some cases the small private colleges still offer better financial aid packages than do the local public universities). I do think getting a degree, even if it means taking out some student loans (keeping it within reasonable limits) is still worth it, both for professional and personal reasons.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,969 times
I think the whole educational construct is crazy and out of date.

-True, if you're going into medicine, that's fine. Some law (top tier), I'm sure that pays off. Similar with engineering.

But why have bare bone english degrees or psychology gone up at a rate faster than inflation for decades? Does anyone have a good answer for that? It can't be because of the quality or because we're creating so many jobs.

-I think the bottom 70% of students in this country have been shortchanged for the last 20-30 years.

*They've gotten watered down degrees at higher than inflation prices.
*The labor market has changed completely since the 70's.
*Tech/vocational schools have declined.

Many schools now are just glorified country clubs...the $400 k presidents salary, the big athletic fields, fancy buildings. The top cares about themselves and perpetuating what they have. The average student gets stuck with $120 books, classes that have been cut, less quality.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:21 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
This topic has been debated a million times. The thing that often does not get brought up is that if a college degree has less value then a HS degree ALSO has less value.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:01 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflguy2012 View Post
I think that the value of higher education this days is really questionable...
And i also know that if I don't have a college degree, eventually I will encounter a glass ceiling. what do you guys think? college or work?
what is the option to not being educated? ignorance?
exercising your mind.. imo is priceless.

ps. statistically one with a college degree still has a higher income than one without.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:34 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,215 times
The bottom line IMO - KNOW WHY you're going to college!

I went to college because (I thought) "that's what you're supposed to do". I floundered in my first year because I really had no clue why I was there. Luckily, my second year I was able to find the "why" and everything changed.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
^^I agree with the above, but I do have some "issues" with taking a "gap" year (suggested by others), in part b/c sometimes it becomes a "gap decade" or longer. Some HS grads find that earning $10/hr goes a long way when living at home w/o paying room and board, etc. Then they get married, have kids, take out a mortgage, etc only to find out there's no opportunity for job advancement w/o at least some post HS education. The first year of college is similar for many majors, so I think it's worth it to go right after HS unless a student is absolutely, postitively opposed to going.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:53 PM

912 posts, read 1,331,869 times
I wouldn't say it's overrated but a college degree does not hold as much value as it has in the past. The perception is that if you go to college you will be handed a career on a silver platter upon graduation.

It may have been true if this were say 1911,1921,1941 or 61 but it's today and college is highly overrated.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:31 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
It's not overrated, but overpriced. The cost of going to college these days are crazy and it's turning many people away. Back than; you could never use the excuse "I can't afford college" because you had all types of aid and help out there, but these days even with financial aid; it still costs a lot.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:47 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vanderburgh View Post
What an odd perception to have.

I'm not sure if that was ever really the case.
It never has been the case. It is just in the minds of the entitlement minded youth that believe they will be starting at the top in the job market if they get a piece of paper that says they went to school. Hasn't it always been that the real work starts after college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities