Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:15 PM

511 posts, read 2,450,598 times

Advertisements

My brother takes $50K out of his bank account every year so his son can attend a private University. My nephew was quite the student in High School and had nearly perfect grades and an ACT score of 34. (Top 1%). He also is quite good at math and science.

His Academic Adviser is trying to convince his assigned students to major in the Liberal Arts. He insisted that the University Career Planning and Placement Office says there is NO LINK between the major the student has in college and their success getting a professional job at graduation. He also states there is really no connection between the student's Academic Major and the type of work he or she will go into after graduation.

He goes on to say there is just as much chance a graduating student will get a good job in business if he is a Political Science, or Communication Major vs. an Accounting and Finance Major. The company will always hire a good student who does well in college regardless of his/her Major and train them.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 04:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
What does your nephew WANT to major in? What are his future plans?

In my experience, my college advisors served to help me plan out my courses, but had nothing to do with my decision, as far as what my course of study would be. That, I chose based on my own interests and plans. It wasn't the job of an advisor to be recruiting for any one particular program, and I certainly didn't ask for guidance on decisionmaking...just in how to best arrange my coursework to meet my chosen goals.

As far as the importance of major, it really depends on the field, what's required for it, if anything, and the individual employer. For some employers and some positions, it is true that a great academic record will trump what was majored in. For others, having the necessary major is going to be the critical thing. There's no one rule of thumb, except that excelling in school, regardless of your program is not going to hurt you.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:51 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,728,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
My brother takes $50K out of his bank account every year so his son can attend a private University. My nephew was quite the student in High School and had nearly perfect grades and an ACT score of 34. (Top 1%). He also is quite good at math and science.

His Academic Adviser is trying to convince his assigned students to major in the Liberal Arts. He insisted that the University Career Planning and Placement Office says there is NO LINK between the major the student has in college and their success getting a professional job at graduation. He also states there is really no connection between the student's Academic Major and the type of work he or she will go into after graduation.

He goes on to say there is just as much chance a graduating student will get a good job in business if he is a Political Science, or Communication Major vs. an Accounting and Finance Major. The company will always hire a good student who does well in college regardless of his/her Major and train them.

What do you think?
I think he's right, although with some obvious exceptions. If your nephew wants to go into certain specialized fields then yes, he'll need a specialized degree. If he doesn't know what he wants to do, and is probably bound for some sort of office/business job, then sure, a liberal arts degree will prepare him well, and there's not a direct link. If, however, that if he wants to become, say, an industrial engineer, then a degree in Political Science isn't going to get him where he wants to go . Really, though, it's the student's choice. Not his advisor's, not his uncle's, not his father's: his. What does HE want to do? What are HIS interests? And, of course, he should be thinking of what he can do beyond school to prepare himself for his future career, whether that's his college job, volunteering, internships, study abroad, etc. Choice of major is really only one part of the puzzle when it comes to hiring new graduates.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:09 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post

What do you think?
My first question is if your nephew had nearly perfect grades and an ACT score of 34 why is your brother shelling out $50K every year? I was good in high school, but not that good and I got scholarships to cover 71% of tuition, room and board. There should definitely be merit money with scores that good.

My next question would be what does your nephew want to do? Does he want to go into business, medicine, law, science?

Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
In my experience, the worst person in the world to ask for either academic or career advice is a college advisor. They have never once given me good or even correct advice. My mother's boss's daughter wasted a full year because her adviser told her to take all the wrong classes for her degree, I have heard a disturbing number of similar cases. If your college adviser tells you the sky is blue, verify it.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
My first question is if your nephew had nearly perfect grades and an ACT score of 34 why is your brother shelling out $50K every year? I was good in high school, but not that good and I got scholarships to cover 71% of tuition, room and board. There should definitely be merit money with scores that good.

My next question would be what does your nephew want to do? Does he want to go into business, medicine, law, science?
I agree...

As for the major, there is some truth to that. It isn't AS important that you major in a specific area as it is that you get A degree. I know plenty of doctors that were English majors as undergrads--and medical schools are LOOKING for these kids now. They just took sufficient science and math courses so they could pass the MCAT. For anyone going on to Grad/Med/Law schools, etc. your undergrad degree isn't important, your COURSEWORK is, but not your actual degree.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:

It's possible the OP's brother is just talking about the total cost, not what he is paying. Contrary to popular opinion, not all liberal arts colleges offer huge scholarships to non-needy (financially) students.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:48 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
Quote:

That's what I was thinking.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:54 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,268,769 times
I guess the answer to your questions is, "It depends." There are plenty of people who have done well in business without a business degree (some have done well without any degree at all), but how many people have done well as engineers without an engineering degree?

Your nephew should study what he is interested in/wants to study--not what someone else wants him to study.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:15 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It's possible the OP's brother is just talking about the total cost, not what he is paying. Contrary to popular opinion, not all liberal arts colleges offer huge scholarships to non-needy (financially) students.
No, for the most part, you have to earn them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities