Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 08:48 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,916,690 times

Advertisements

So here's my scenario:

I'm currently a recent grad with a bachelors degree in Economics, and while I do have a decent job with the Federal Gov't, I have this yearning to go back to get another degree in a STEM major, particularly in something that will allow me to have a career in software programming or graphic design.

-I initially went to college and was pursuing a career in accounting or finance, but I'm not too interested dealing with office politics and hierarchy-based promotion and pay.
-The finance sector is crumbling as we speak and the only ones benefiting are the Fat Cats and the Federal Reserve. As for accounting, although useful and rewarding in the long term, I would like a career that has more...excitement.
-I see more growth in the computer IT and "STEM" fields in the future than I so for business-related fields, and I see more opportunities for owning my own business with a career in IT or programming than in finance.
-I've always been a techie and wanted to work with computers, graphics, and programming. Even though life events have forced me to slowly drift from dealing with the following, the desire has never died.

So how would I be able to pursue this degree? I do have some student debt (<$10,000), and I don't mind borrowing since I know a CompSci/Eng degree will pay for itself rather quickly. Would I need to brush up on my calculus and physics? How long would it take going back to school full time vs going to school while working?

In summary, how would I pursue this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 05:59 AM

102 posts, read 601,688 times
You will need to brush up on calculus and physics. When I got my engineering degree, I had 5 semesters of calculus/differential equations, and 3 semesters of physics, so be prepared for a lot of math.

Do you have an idea of where you would like to pursue this degree? You should probably call the admissions office, since they can better address your concerns.

If you are set in getting another undergraduate degree, you may be treated as a transfer student, as you have already earned credits by virtue of your current degree.

You may find that you can get admitted as a graduate student, provided you take some undergraduate prerequisites.

What you're doing isn't uncommon. When I was an undergraduate, one of my classmates already had a BA in political science. He went back to school as an undergrad to get an engineering degree. I knew a grad student pursuing a Master's in mechanical engineering who had a bachelor's in archeology. He had to take a few undergrad hours to fill in some 'weak' spots, after which he could take the graduate courses.

My $0.02 is that you should look into trying to get in as a graduate student. What good is another Bachelor's? A Master's will command more money in the work force. Just make sure you go to a reputable institution, not one of those places like U of Phoenix, etc.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 AM

66 posts, read 182,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneBiggums View Post

You may find that you can get admitted as a graduate student, provided you take some undergraduate prerequisites.
Agreed. The graduate route seems like the best route to take. There are some graduate programs that marry the worlds of economics and comp sci like Master In Computational Finance : Tepper School of Business at Carnegie Mellon , so the transition might not be as difficult as initially expected.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:08 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,326,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
So here's my scenario:

I'm currently a recent grad with a bachelors degree in Economics, and while I do have a decent job with the Federal Gov't, I have this yearning to go back to get another degree in a STEM major, particularly in something that will allow me to have a career in software programming or graphic design.

[deleted content]
So how would I be able to pursue this degree? I do have some student debt (<$10,000), and I don't mind borrowing since I know a CompSci/Eng degree will pay for itself rather quickly. Would I need to brush up on my calculus and physics? How long would it take going back to school full time vs going to school while working?

In summary, how would I pursue this?
You should pay-down your previous education debt to zero and you shouldn't borrow for the education you're planning to undertake. You shouldn't count on "CompSci/Eng degree will pay for itself rather quickly", either.

It's a little disconcerting that someone who's a "recent grad" with a "decent job with the Federal Gov't" would so quickly change fields in order to incur additional education debt before the debt from the first education has been paid down.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:52 PM

410 posts, read 398,308 times
Although programming is fascinating, learning it from a non-technical background requires prolonged patience. I would suggest you to audit a programming 101 course in either C++/Java at a local community college. It's a free of cost way to establish whether or not your yearning is really a whim in disguise. I wouldn't commit to a degree program without first getting a feel for it.

"Would I need to brush up on my calculus and physics? How long would it take going back to school full time vs going to school while working"
- For a Master's degree in C.S, you will need to review/learn Calc I, II, Linear Algebra (matrices), Discrete Mathematics, "Data Structures", "Operating Systems", "Networking" and the ability to code. Please don't let the list intimidate you, it's not tough, it just requires time and commitment.

Some of it can be picked up on your own and for some it's better to take a class for it. Go to a local university's C.S department's admission session and ask then which courses would you need to take as prerequisites.

You may be able to take 2 classes per semester. I would *not* quit my job to go to school.

"There are some graduate programs that marry the worlds of economics and comp sci like Master In Computational Finance : Tepper School of Business at Carnegie Mellon , so the transition might not be as difficult as initially expected."

I am currently enrolled in such a program and I won't recommend it for someone who doesn't have a background in engineering/physics/math. As you mention, it combines Math, Finance, programming and is pretty intense.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:27 AM

39 posts, read 135,578 times
I won't tell you that your making a mistake by getting a degree in IT but I will say don't be disappointed if you end up working with or under guys without a degree that make as much or more than you do.

I have a an associates degree in IT, a MCSA, and A+, I'm currently working on a Bachelors in a different area to get out of IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities