Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 07:37 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,016,275 times

Advertisements

Quick question.

Is it possible to earn an Electrical and Mechanical engineering degree under a double major program?

I'm currently going to college for my engineering science degree which is a perquisite for any Engineering Bachelor's degree.

Alot of the classes overlap and they are similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 06:12 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
I couldn't see why not. It will probably take an extra 1 or 2 semesters to do it.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:18 AM

102 posts, read 601,766 times
Depends on the school. Some universities, by policy, will not award multiple bachelor's degrees.

Assuming that a double major was allowed, it will take more than an extra 1 or 2 semesters. Just because you think the coursework is similar does not make it so.

Best bet is to talk to an adviser.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyroneBiggums View Post
Depends on the school. Some universities, by policy, will not award multiple bachelor's degrees.

Assuming that a double major was allowed, it will take more than an extra 1 or 2 semesters. Just because you think the coursework is similar does not make it so.

Best bet is to talk to an adviser.

I'll schedule an appointment.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:37 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,922,581 times
Yes, but your final two years of course work will be different, so it may take 5 or 6 years.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:43 PM

624 posts, read 1,121,515 times
In Europe we have something called Mechatronics Engineering which combines both. Maybe there is something similar in the US too.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
In Europe we have something called Mechatronics Engineering which combines both. Maybe there is something similar in the US too.

So do they combine all aspects of mechanical, electrical etc. etc.; or do they only implement specific elements from each individual engineering discipline cited in the link?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:52 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Sounds like a degree program I would actually be interested in if I could just get my slow-brain out of the "mathematics kiddie-pool".
The talk about how things work and how they're created is enough to spurn my interest.

Since you're pretty much on the right track with one degree right now, I would definitely go about seeing if it could actually be done with no issues on the "academic red-tape" side of things.
I've heard stories of kids over at Cal Poly Pomona and such doing the exact thing you're wanting to do!!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
I wonder if it is worth it strictly from a dollars and cents perspective. How much more money do you expect to make versus the additional time you aren't working because you are in school? It might be better to pick one major, finish it sooner and get into the working world sooner and start investing sooner. Besides, for most people, your first job sort of sets a path into the field you'll spend the rest of your career. If you EE then get an EE job for five years, at the end of that fifth year you'd be an EE with five years experience and you'd also be an ME with zero years experience.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:11 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I wonder if it is worth it strictly from a dollars and cents perspective. How much more money do you expect to make versus the additional time you aren't working because you are in school? It might be better to pick one major, finish it sooner and get into the working world sooner and start investing sooner. Besides, for most people, your first job sort of sets a path into the field you'll spend the rest of your career. If you EE then get an EE job for five years, at the end of that fifth year you'd be an EE with five years experience and you'd also be an ME with zero years experience.
Exactly, it's not worth it. The ME curriculum doesnt allow for hardly any elective coursework as an EE program would (specilize in say digital, analog, electromagnetics, DSP, etc). If you really think you might want to do electronic/electrical engineering at some point, go get the ME degree, I've found it to be the most versatile degree given that rigid coursework.

I personally wouldn't put myself through that much pain, electromagnetics, signal processing, etc AND thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, etc? No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities