Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 11:18 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times

Advertisements

I joined PBK in 1993 and have never heard anything from them since...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 05:16 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Look, any honor society offers membership to EVERY community college student that has a 3.5 GPA is NOT anything anyone cares about.

The fee is like a ponzi scheme. The vast majority of people pay just to put it on their resume and they never do anything with the organization. A tiny number of members actually do the stuff that will allow them to get any scholarship money.

Your time and effort is better spent on other organizations that relate to your major or things that interest you, rather than generic, national fee-based honor societies that don't account for class rank.

Compare that honor society to those that actually require to apply, or be nominated by a professor, write an essay, file an application, go through an interview, and then be selected based on criteria like academic standing, leadership, philanthropy and character.

Or honor societies that are awarded to the top students in your major with organizations that hold symposiums or events so you can network with people who work or who are leaders in those fields.

Or honor societies that are awarded to the top 1% or 3% of the students in your class.

Any organization that would take you and the only criteria is a good, not necessarily great GPA and a fee, seriously there are dozens of so-called honor societies like that and no one is impressed by them.

Honestly, PTK isn't even the worst. Golden Key, Phi Eta Sigma, and whatever that sophomore one is are truly worthless.

Maybe I'll start my own, make it for any student with a 3.0 GPA and tries really hard. I'll offer 10 $5K scholarship after I get 100,000 people to pay me $100 membership fee, offer cushy $100K jobs to my buddies, executive director salary of $300K for myself, and get some sweet office spaces. I'll offer some famous people and Harvard professors $100K a year to be on my advisory board and give nice looking certificates and cool looking pins. Hire direct marketing firm to put together real fancy looking broshures and initiation packets. Maybe I'll buy the trademark of a defunct honor society that went under 50 years ago, so I can claim the 100 year history of my honor society.

Oh wait, dozens of organizations already have done that.

Thanks for the good laugh!

Old 11-03-2012, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 7,450 times
It's well worth it to pay the $60 if the 4-year school you are applying to offers PTK scholarships. I am a member and the 4-year school I transferred to automatically gave me a $10,000 annual scholarship for being a member. $60 is a small price to pay for such a big tuition break, regardless if you choose to put it on your résumé or not. Not every school offers breaks for membership, but the ones that do can offer substantial ones. Phi Theta Kappa can't be all that worthless if so many colleges around the country recognize this merit with rewards.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboy36011 View Post
Don't listen to these who think that Phi Theta Kappa isn't worth it. Didn't you work your butt off to get that gpa and recieve that invitation letter? You think it was too easy? No, it wasn't and will never be. It's an achievement to make it all the way up. In spring, because I'm a member of PTK, I'm transfering with a scholarship of $4,000. You still think it's not worth it? Then why don't you go spend your own money, if you're rich of course. And talk with real people instead of reading comments from idiots who can't even reach 3.0. Never reject your accomplishment. You only live once my friend.
As has been mentioned, not all universities offer scholarship to PTK members and not all universities accept PTK scholarships. It's definitely worth the $60 if you the university you are transferring into gives/accepts PTK scholarships.

It's an achievement, sure, but unless it has some personal meaning, and aside from potential scholarships, that is about it. I can't think of anyone who regretted joining PTK, most of which did poorly in high school for one reason or the other, yet, none seem to have gained any real benefit from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpreppie05 View Post
PTK is NOT one of the worthless ones. I advise PTK students and I will tell you this- those students recieve tens of thousands of scholarship money every year, and as many have said already, is automatic. For the bigger monies though, you DO need to do more than just join, walk at induction and pay the fee. With ANY type of student activity you can always pay dues and sign up but it won't mean much unless you actually do something.
The scholarships are not guaranteed, PTK generated scholarships are highly competitive and limited in number nationally, and, as I wrote, even if a PTK member receives a PTK scholarship, not all universities are going to accept it. The scholarship goes to the school to apply to the students account, not to the student to apply to the school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDrenter223 View Post

However, PTK along with my 3 deans lost entries, my 4.0 for a full year, and my 4.0 overall were all bullet points on my scholarship applications. Sure all those things are redundant (a simple 4.0 GPA would say the same thing) but long lists look more impressive than short ones and if you are gaming for admittance into a great school, or for a scholarship that pays you to go to school, you have to look better on paper than the next guy and that's where PTK came through for me.
Being in PTK and having a 4.0 GPA say different things but listing both as bullet points is redundant unless there is something about being a member of your local chapter that stands out (such as leading your chapter on a great community service project, for example). Those who review scholarship applications are reading hundreds, if not thousands, of applications. The last thing they want to read is a long list of bullet points. More white space on the page is actually a good thing unless you just happen to actually have a long list of major accomplishments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpreppie05 View Post
Slim04, I respect that you don't care for Phi Theta Kappa and other honors societies. I understand that. However, I don't think you know exactly what these students do...

-Each year, each chapter does a reseach project on a set academic topic, and takes said topic and relates it back to their local communities. This involves scholarly research, interviews with members of the community, journaling their progress, etc. They then present this information to the local communities in some manner. At the end of the calendar year, the chapter then writes up how they got to the end result using a set of writing and research rubrics, and are judged by professors/scholars and can win awards on the regional and international level.

-On top of this, the students also have to do a college project which finds a need in the campus community and, like the honors project have to prepare their end result using similar rubrics. The experience that these students can have from working, writing, and implementing these projects can develop skills that they can use for the rest of their academic careers.

-Eligible students are about 3-5% (at least where I am) each year. A 3.5 GPA is NOTHING to sneeze at (and did I miss something if it was?)

-You also mentioned that other societies are better because you can write an essay or get a professor to write you an recommendation. Isn't there a flaw in that too? (what if, you get a person who kisses butt and finesses their way to a recommendation? Or you just write really well? Or Interviews well?)

-Many advisors/coordinators are NOT paid. Usually just expenses and travel.

I do agree that there are some flaws with the application process...but In general, I have seen some amazing things come out of this organization.
I know that PTK officers are expected to do community service, but I never heard required for all members, let alone being a chapter project. Is this a recent thing?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,371 times
I joined it a couple of years ago. The Adviser at the CCC sends a bunch of links to scholarships only for PBK, and I've received a ton of offers for scholarships and reduced tuition from universities. If I was planning on transferring soon it would be a great tool.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:01 AM

59 posts, read 97,360 times
Quote:
I know that PTK officers are expected to do community service, but I never heard required for all members, let alone being a chapter project. Is this a recent thing?
I'm not totally sure...Its been at least in place for the last few years. It's not required, but is suggested.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,819 times
Default Phi Theta Kappa - to join or not to join??

I received the same invitation. Now the registration fee is $95.00! I was wondering what you decided to do? Did you join and was it worth it? I am going back to school for dental hygiene. I have a four year business degree already but have not worked in twenty years. Rather than start at the bottom in the business world I am reinventing myself and won't be going any further than this two year college. I never expected to be here in life at this time, but here I am! I am 50 (yes, 50) and because of divorce will need to support myself and my kids. Money it obviously tight and I was wondering how difficult it is to get a scholarship. This is my only reason to join other than the hopes that it would look good on a resume. After reading the posts, it looks like from a resume prospective, it is not worth it.

I would love any forwarded insight. Thanks

Old 03-26-2015, 01:10 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Eh. I was inducted into several honor societies in undergrad, and haven't really observed any tangible benefits in membership from any of them post-college.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:46 PM

102,186 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I know that to some of you this might sound stupid and a waist of time. Today I received in the mail a letter from my community college inviting me to join an honor society called Phi Theta Kappa.

I am 35 years old and decided to go back to school last year to pursue a degree in nursing . My current GPA lays around a 3.8. The only reason why I try to keep my GPA up, is so that I have a chance to get into nursing school next spring or fall.
I am born and raised in Sweden and lived most of my life over there. I went to HS in Sweden so for me to go back to school here in The USA was kind of scary so I am pretty pleased with my accomplishments so far.
But today, when I received this letter I was a little bit confused. What exactly is this Phi Theta Kappa? It says I have to pay $60 to join, but is it worth it? I thought these kind of "clubs" were more catered to 4 year universities?
I also kind of feel a false sense of pride. I mean, why would anybody get below a 3.0 at a Jr college unless you absolutely did not care. It is not like I am anything special!! I think the requirement for this specific "group"(Phi Theta Kappa) have a minimum gpa of 3.5 or around that. Not that impressive if you ask me. Not for a community college anyways.

Anyways, If some if you with experience in the matter can help me out. I would appreciate it. Is it worth the 60 bucks?

Thanks
Join it once, and you can put it on your resume. Some employers notice it. If you're going back to Sweden, you won't need it. However, if you plan to transfer to a 4-year university, you could apply to PTK for a scholarship. They give scholarship grants to members. And btw, this isn't a fraternity, which you might be confusing it with. It's an honor society.

edit: OOPS--old thread. @same place: Contact them to ask about their scholarships. You can ask how much the typical award is, application procedures and criteria, etc. Good luck!

Old 03-29-2015, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,768 times
I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa and I must admit, I love it. I go to school online so it is nice to be able to connect with other students. Phi Theta Kappa members can do a lot for their community. I was involved with the Honors In Action project in which we held a STEM fair to get kids interested in the various STEM careers. It was a lot of fun and I gained some invaluable experience being part of a project. The Five Star Competitive Edge course has a lot of worthwhile courses that will help you to learn leadership skills and how to deal with various personalities. I'm in my mid-40s so I didn't think I needed to learn this but, it has definitely been a rewarding experience for me. As for the scholarships, the public colleges in Arizona offer reduced tuition fees to PTK members and there are quite a few scholarship opportunities. Your adviser should be able to assist you with making sure that everything is filled out and give you some tips on how to make sure you stand apart. Besides, you are something special. There are plenty of people who, as hard as they try, are not 3.5 material. You did a good job. You stuck to it and you prospered!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities