Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2011, 01:09 PM

15 posts, read 32,934 times

Advertisements

I'm currently in the process of applying to Loyola U Chicago. My transcript is being/already has been sent [It seems like a shady process, they keep you in the dark ] to Loyola, but they also allow you to submit a resume filled with a list of your extracurricular activities and also a 500 word personal essay.

"Essay for Application for Fall 2012

OPTIONAL: Transfer students are not required to submit an essay or personal statement but you certainly can do so by sending your statement of 500 words or less. You may upload the document as a Microsoft Word file now or come back to this site later to do so if you so choose.
"

Would it be worth submitting an essay? They sure don't put a lot of emphasis on it. My GPA is currently 3.6 so I'm not terribly worried about my chances. However, I don't want to take anything for granted so if it would increase my acceptability I would certainly want to do it.

Thoughts? Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 06:07 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I would send it. Unless you are a terrible writer, there's no down side, is there? If you were rejected, you would always wonder if it was because you didn't do it.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:08 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
I've transferred twice. If your resume is not strong, than you may want to include the essay to help explain any lull in performance, but other than that, if it is optional it will not count against you if you leave it out. Realistically, the admissions staff more-than-likely do not want to take the time to read hundreds (thousands?) of essays. I would leave it out unless you feel it is essential.

But as toobusytoday mentioned, if writing is not a strong point of yours, a poorly written essay could count against you.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:18 PM

15 posts, read 32,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I've transferred twice. If your resume is not strong, than you may want to include the essay to help explain any lull in performance, but other than that, if it is optional it will not count against you if you leave it out. Realistically, the admissions staff more-than-likely do not want to take the time to read hundreds (thousands?) of essays. I would leave it out unless you feel it is essential.

But as toobusytoday mentioned, if writing is not a strong point of yours, a poorly written essay could count against you.
How would you describe a strong vs weak resume? I didn't include too much, but I did mention how I write for my school's paper, I am on the student senate, and a couple of my internships/part time jobs. How would that stack up?

Old 10-16-2011, 03:04 PM

To add:

Freshman applicants use the essay to convey a bit of personality; to help illustrate how they are as individuals in what is an otherwise impersonal application process.

The whole point of the transfer essay is to briefly discuss why you want to transfer and show how the school you are looking to get into is a better fit for you.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamechange View Post
How would you describe a strong vs weak resume? I didn't include too much, but I did mention how I write for my school's paper, I am on the student senate, and a couple of my internships/part time jobs. How would that stack up?
A weak resume is one that would not paint you in the best light. People wrongly assume that lack of experience makes for a bad resume, but the truth is that you can more-than-likely find something reasonable to include.

I am not sure of your age, but I can assure you that most college-aged kids are not going to have much experience to put on their resumes, either. Yesterday, I read a CV/resume from a kid who just graduated from MIT. It was impressive, sure, but there was a lot of white space on the page....and this guy probably did more than the typical college student. Then again, what do you expect from a 21 year old just spent four years in college?

My GF is currently in grad school at Johns Hopkins. Her department tasked her and her cohorts to create a resume. They were supposed to keep it to one page, and most of the students had no problem as they were straight from undergrad. Hers, and a few others, was three pages.

Your resume sounds good. If I were you I would get in touch with the admissions office and ask them what they are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities