Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 06:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Were they more educated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 09:20 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Well you suceeded in sounding pompous. LOL

On an average day, in my career, people use more troubleshooting and critical thinking skills more then most people. We don't "parrot" the teachings of people like John Locke or whomever, we may have read them, and used them to make us well rounded students, but we choose to read it, take it in, then come up with our own thoughts. We also do not claim to be more educated and, and let our own self vanity come to light and quote people trying to hide our insecurity of people around us thinking we are "uneducated". To prove how educated they are, they try memorizing and regurgitating the work and knowledge of a person and some how try to pass it of as being intelligent.

I have no bachelors degree, but I actually have used sine and cosine to make calculations to do my job. I will secede the fact I have never "incorporating cosine or sine in an equation to model periodic patterns." I am just curious what you mean by this, and what you have done similar to this. I have only used Trigonometric functions for simple calculations.
You don't need to explain anything about your career to me. I really don't care what you do. You might be smart, you might not be. Fact is, I haven't suggested either (towards you specifically). Besides, if you are doing as well in your career as you are implying, then why does it matter how I feel?

And as far as sounding pompous, sir, college grads don't just parrot everything they've learned in textbooks. If their school succeeded, they should have developed keen critical thinking skills of their own. I don't really draw the link where choosing to read books on your own makes you superior to someone who read them in college.

Honestly, you sound extremely insecure. I don't understand why, considering that you make it seem that you are doing just fine in your career. It also doesn't make sense to me that someone without a degree is coming to the logical conclusion that by not having a degree, they are better off than someone who does have a degree. I'd rather have a degree than not have a degree. Just like I'd rather have a car than not have a car. Because even though I can manage to get around without a car, having a car makes it that much easier to get to my final destination. But if you have found a field where a degree is not essential and you can still move up with ease, then kudos to you. There are some fields out there like that, but they are far and few in between.

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 10-29-2011 at 09:46 AM..

Old 10-29-2011, 09:29 AM

840 posts, read 1,147,380 times
No. I'm getting told my degree (Business Administration) is great and I would say it's useful for some practice knowledge and it looks good on resume. I wish I double majored in something else like chemistry, math, statistics or something specific as business administration is just so broad and general. I'm likely to do a MS in math or stats in a few years after I snagged my CPA license first.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:03 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
You don't need to explain anything about your career to me. I really don't care what you do. You might be smart, you might not be. Fact is, I haven't suggested either (towards you specifically). Besides, if you are doing as well in your career as you are implying, then why does it matter how I feel?

And as far as sounding pompous, sir, college grads don't just parrot everything they've learned in textbooks. If their school succeeded, they should have developed keen critical thinking skills of their own. I don't really draw the link where choosing to read books on your own makes you superior to someone who read them in college.

Honestly, you sound extremely insecure. I don't understand why, considering that you make it seem that you are doing just fine in your career. It also doesn't make sense to me that someone without a degree is coming to the logical conclusion that by not having a degree, they are better off than someone who does have a degree. I'd rather have a degree than not have a degree. Just like I'd rather have a car than not have a car. Because even though I can manage to get around without a car, having a car makes it that much easier to get to my final destination. But if you have found a field where a degree is not essential and you can still move up with ease, then kudos to you. There are some fields out there like that, but they are far and few in between.
Funny, I would rather have a good job then no job. I need a job to support myself and family.

I feel focusing on getting a well paying job I enjoy is more important then a degree. Seems people fail to realize a degree is a tool to get you a job.

Here is a hammer, use it to paint your house... Doesn't work so well, just seems stupid. You may like hammers alot, but its the wrong tool for the task. You may be better then the guy that has no hammer at all, but you both will have a difficult time painting. One difference is you have a credit card bill for a hammer, and already wasted 4 hours buying the hammer. The other guy can get a head start and doesn't have a credit card bill.

A wrong tool that doesn't do the task that is required, is worthless.

A degree that doesn't help you get a job, is worthless.

Ideally you would spend the money, and 4 hours getting a paint roller.

Also if you can't learn and ponder things before college, you aren't going to start.

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioque View Post
No. I'm getting told my degree (Business Administration) is great and I would say it's useful for some practice knowledge and it looks good on resume. I wish I double majored in something else like chemistry, math, statistics or something specific as business administration is just so broad and general. I'm likely to do a MS in math or stats in a few years after I snagged my CPA license first.
My opinion, by itself, useless.... If you have job experience in a field and use it to move up its great. But coming in with that and not specialized... Not as useful.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
This could be any degree, though. Because getting a job isn't dependent upon degree alone (or degree at all, necessarily, depending on the job). You could not be getting the job due to your degree, or due to any number of other factors or combinations thereof.

Essentially, by your criteria, a degree in XYZ may have tremendous worth in one situation or context, and the identical degree within another situation or context may have no real worth. Because whether or not one gets the job may be due to something else entirely, and have nothing to do with degree.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Anyone who plans to go to college should study these payscales before doing so:

Best Undergrad College Degrees By Salary
Based on my personal experience working in three of the areas listed, my experience of my SO being employed in two additional areas, and my siblings being employed in an additional 3 others, the figures listed appear to be wildly inaccurate. Just saying.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:16 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:
Funny, I would rather have a good job then no job. I need a job to support myself and family.

I feel focusing on getting a well paying job I enjoy is more important then a degree. Seems people fail to realize a degree is a tool to get you a job.

Here is a hammer, use it to paint your house... Doesn't work so well, just seems stupid. You may like hammers alot, but its the wrong tool for the task. You may be better then the guy that has no hammer at all, but you both will have a difficult time painting. One difference is you have a credit card bill for a hammer, and already wasted 4 hours buying the hammer. The other guy can get a head start and doesn't have a credit card bill.

A wrong tool that doesn't do the task that is required, is worthless.

Ideally you would spend the money, and 4 hours getting a paint roller.

Also if you can't learn and ponder things before college, you aren't going to start.

Yeah but most of the time high paying jobs come from having a college degree...

I agree with you that some degrees are in fact, worthless. Especially ones that saddle students with debt, with no hope of landing a job-- or starting their own business (because they don't have the knowledge/skills)

Old 10-30-2011, 04:27 AM

I agree someone with a useful degree, in a good field will make money. The post is about people being upset that their degree is worthless. If people are telling you this I would stop and evaluate what my degree is in. Really try to see what I can do with it, not with anyone in the school because you are usually surrounded by people in your department that are biased and will blow smoke up your butt about how good your degree is.

Don't get me wrong, even on the tech school side, they are just as bad.

I currently have friends that have masters degrees, bachelors degrees, and I make more money then them.

I guess what I am saying is unless you are passionate, and know you can live off of what you are studying, that is great. More power to you, money doesn't always buy happiness.

Just don't get a bull**** degree, rack up alot of debt, then go protest that the only job you can get is starbucks for 14 hours a week and try and get a bailout at my expense.

Its life, you are not "special" you have to make sacrifices and good decisions, also you have to pay for the consequences of bad decisions, its no one elses fault, but your own. Quit being a drain on society. If need be, go back to school and get a "useful" degree.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I agree someone with a useful degree, in a good field will make money. The post is about people being upset that their degree is worthless.
No, the post is actually about other people asserting that one's degree is "worthless."

I agree that it's up to the individual to make their degree work for them, and that it's unwise to study something that you aren't even interested enough in to put it to good use. People who love what they are studying/doing generally find a way to market it. And this may or may not help in situations where there are other factors beyond one's control...you can market all you want, but if you live somewhere where there are no jobs available in the area in which you are looking to work, it's not going to matter. At that point, it's up to you to adapt, using the tools you should have obtained as an educated individual able to think critically. And if you don't have those skills, it's on you, not a product of your major course of study.

IMO, The issue isn't so much the degree being worthless as it is the person being unsuccessful at making it work for him or herself, whether through circumstances beyond the person's control, or via flaws in how the person operates. A bright, adaptable person can succeed with virtually any degree, depending on one's personal decisions and sacrifices one is willing to make.

For every person who deems his or her degree worthless, I'm willing to bet that a more accurate picture would show that the person is actually worthless at applying and/or marketing his or her skills and/or experiences...or worse, didn't obtain them to begin with, which is really an individual mistake, not something having to do with any one particular course of study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities