Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2011, 06:37 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
No... this is about money and accountability. I ****ed off in school, had a personal health issue and left. I did not get a degree, I had some debt. I busted my ass and paid off. It was no one elses fault but my own for my situation.

I went back to a private school, and obtained a sort of trade school program that interested me more then a degree. Once again accrued debt. I am paying it off on a 10 year plan.

My wife went to school, got a degree in anthropology, realized the job outlook, went back for speech therapy, got another bachelors, and later a Masters, we are paying those off on a 10 year plan as well.

I busted my ass supporting her through school, she busted her ass supporting me through school.

Both of us, were ineligible for the Pell Grant. Despite me being a cancer survivor, 25+ white males, are pretty much SOL for free college money. We are forced to pay for it ourselves.

That is fine, school is a choice. We are both better off with the schooling, certifications, and educations we recieved. Well except for the anthropology degree my wife has, its more of a "hobby" degree.

You can claim that it makes you a better more rounded individual, alot of things do.

My number one complaint is, people bitching to our congress, to wallstreet, to my president, that its everyone elses fault they don't have a job. Nothing to do with them. Because they think their degree is not worthless.

Now my government is planning to "bailout" these people. While people like my wife and I did what it took, and lived frugal to get through life.

This bailout, will either cost me money in taxes, or via inflation, when they print money to pay for it. It will affect me, and it will affect my children.

If your degree doesn't help you get a job, its worthless. Just like if I pick up a hobby of drag racing, or fishing... its worthless. It doesn't help me get a job.

So enjoy your worthless degree.

Not sure if its a class warfare issue, or if its a middle class getting tired of paying for others issue.
The middle class doesn't pay much in taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 06:40 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,649,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
The middle class doesn't pay much in taxes.
Do they pay more then a jobless person with a useless degree, that has a crapload of student loan debt on the verge of welfare?

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:23 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
What gives people the gall to tell me what kind of luck they think I'll have with my degree when a) they don't know what my plans are and b) I NEVER ASKED FOR THEIR ADVICE ON THE MATTER! I mean gee whiz, it'd be one thing if I asked people what they thought of my degree, but for people to be negative about my life in simple conversation is just confusing and maddening to boot.
What gives them the gall? Do you prefer that people just yah you and not say what they think? What's the big deal?

Old 10-30-2011, 07:29 PM

207 posts, read 535,687 times
I have friends who graduted from college and I never went to college and I make more than they do and better benefits. And they are completely in debt and to me I don't have any school loans and I have good credit scores and now I am building a house and there living in apartments. In my opnion I dropped out of college becuz i sucked at it. And sometimes I do wish i that i did work harder to make it to my dream job as a high school teacher and have a normal life but i don't. It all depends on who you are.
Go to www.youtube.com type in 20/20 is college worth it?

It'l show you if you should go or not.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:39 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,239 times
Quote:
So enjoy your worthless degree.
My degree didn't get me a job alone, but it helped. My experience, skillset, and personality also played a large role.

And now I'm making...

Cheers

Old 10-30-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post
I have friends who graduted from college and I never went to college and I make more than they do and better benefits. And they are completely in debt and to me I don't have any school loans and I have good credit scores and now I am building a house and there living in apartments. In my opnion I dropped out of college becuz i sucked at it. And sometimes I do wish i that i did work harder to make it to my dream job as a high school teacher and have a normal life but i don't. It all depends on who you are.

That's good that it worked out for you. A lot of people who go to college don't belong in college. I admit that many go because they think that is the only way to success. A lot of folks should probably just go to tech school and not waste money on trying to navigate a place they don't feel comfortable in.

Last edited by Z3N1TH 0N3; 10-30-2011 at 08:10 PM..

Old 10-30-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkAquarius View Post

Your personal example isn't the norm.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Do they pay more then a jobless person with a useless degree, that has a crapload of student loan debt on the verge of welfare?

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.
Those people don't really exist in very high numbers. Using them as an example for your point is convenient but it lacks what the actual reality is.

The middle class by definition is around 50k-60k household income. That isn't much of a contribution in taxes.

The median household income for the bachelor's degree is 73k.

Maybe you think of "middle class" as earning more or that you overestimate the amount of taxes you pay.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
meant in kindness. please dont be angry. it would benefit you greatly to listen to them. " they are trying to be helpful. trying to tell you too many people think colleges are providing trade certificates for high end professional jobs.. they are not. they are providing very expensive gen ed certificates at very very fancy prices. actually no real marketable skills attached to the degrees at all. that is what the people around you are trying to tell you.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Do you prefer that people just yah you and not say what they think?
Personally I would prefer that most people just keep their opinions to themselves, especially if you didn't ask for their opinion. I feel this way because there are a lot of dumb people out there with a lot of dumb opinions. I'd rather they not infringe on my personal life with the mindless dribble that percolates from their orifices and that holds little to no value with me. That's just me though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities