Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 04:47 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,627,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
Do you mean a math minor? Any legitimate math major should require at least one rigorous course in both analysis and algebra.
Rutgers required thru diff eq (which when you include the other required course was around 28 credits) and a certain number of electives (I cannot remember the number off the top of my head) at higher levels (300 and beyond) depending on which "option" you chose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 04:49 PM

504 posts, read 1,265,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Rutgers required thru diff eq (which when you include the other required course was around 28 credits) and a certain number of electives (I cannot remember the number off the top of my head) at higher levels (300 and beyond) depending on which "option" you chose.
Mathematics Department - Mathematics Major Brochure - Options

"In addition to the core requirements, to complete the standard mathematics major a student must pass eight additional 3-credit mathematics (subject code 640) courses at the 300- or 400-level, including Math 311 (analysis), and Math 350 or 351 (algebra), and excluding any courses with less than three credit hours."

Old 11-11-2011, 04:54 PM

12,460 posts, read 19,989,062 times
Quote:
Their math department is number 20 in the nation according to USNWR.
Which mathematics department?

Quote:
And I did say diff eq was the last REQUIRED course. Electives obviously have to come from higher level courses.
Right and this isn't true of any mathematics program I've seen. Not only is differential equations often not required, but there are also more advanced classes required. As the other poster mentioned, at the very least, there is going to be a requirement for a course in analysis and algebra. Picking one of the programs with rank 20 that you linked to, here are the requirements:

UCSD Mathematics : Undergraduate Program

As can be seen differential equations is the last course to be taken in the lower-division sequence of classes. This is typically where engineering, physics, etc students end their mathematics education. Engineering and/or physics students have to do a lot more work in mathematics to get a degree in it. At UCSD they'd have to take an additional 13 courses all of which are advanced as opposed to introductory courses the engineering, etc students take.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:55 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
yes they did, now isnt that something, and i bought it hook line and sinker.
but then low and behold 30 years later, it was critical that i had it.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Mathematics Department - Mathematics Major Brochure - Options

"In addition to the core requirements, to complete the standard mathematics major a student must pass eight additional 3-credit mathematics (subject code 640) courses at the 300- or 400-level, including Math 311 (analysis), and Math 350 or 351 (algebra), and excluding any courses with less than three credit hours."
This was 15 yrs ago and there was a math/stats option then, and a biomath one. There was also another option with computer science and engineering courses for 30 or so of the credits. Maybe they no longer offer those?. Due to my research background I met all the requirements thru stats and comp sci courses. The engineers I worked with at RU and the ones I work with now all met those requirements.

I apologize for not realizing they are some sort of uber elite group.

I did repeatedly mention there were higher level electives to be completed.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Which mathematics department?
Uhm...really?

I gave you a link and told you what the rank was, if you look at the link, and then scroll down they go in order. So when you see the number 20....look to the side and then the name of the school is right there....Rutgers University.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:38 PM

504 posts, read 1,265,565 times
Quote:
This was 15 yrs ago and there was a math/stats option then, and a biomath one. There was also another option with computer science and engineering courses for 30 or so of the credits. Maybe they no longer offer those?. Due to my research background I met all the requirements thru stats and comp sci courses. The engineers I worked with at RU and the ones I work with now all met those requirements.

I apologize for not realizing they are some sort of uber elite group.

I did repeatedly mention there were higher level electives to be completed.
MATH MAJOR BROCHURE

You should have said: "The truth of this is proved out by the fact that 15 years ago many engineers (if not most) had enough math classes for an interdisciplinary major not administered by the math department."

Old 11-11-2011, 07:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,980,792 times
Rutgers is a piece if crap now. I can't believe they ruined that school. Let's move on.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
MATH MAJOR BROCHURE

You should have said: "The truth of this is proved out by the fact that 15 years ago many engineers (if not most) had enough math classes for an interdisciplinary major not administered by the math department."
It says BA Mathematics, how is that not a math degree?

Old 11-11-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Rutgers is a piece if crap now. I can't believe they ruined that school. Let's move on.
It certainly isn't what it was 15 years ago but its not "crap". Its still got to be in the top 100 schools, probably still fairly close to 50 or so.

Edit: I just looked its number 25 in the nation for public schools. That is better than I thought.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...erall-rankings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities