Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:39 AM

29 posts, read 46,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHastings View Post
"Anyone can learn how to program in a book or a few classes."
A slight correction, anyone can learn how to program *badly from a book or by taking a few classes.
thats so true..its the same for a foreign language(in my mind programming is like a foreign language as well) you can learn it, but you will be fluent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 10:40 AM

29 posts, read 46,863 times
i meant will NOT be fluent

Old 11-14-2011, 11:06 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
"Anyone can learn how to program in a book or a few classes."
A slight correction, anyone can learn how to program *badly from a book or by taking a few classes.
You think you need a degree to be a good programmer? Better... you think most colleges teach you how to be good programmers? I have had several degreed and non-degreed programmers work for me. There is no correlation between the two. I've had good programmers with degrees and without. Same for bad programmers.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:55 PM

410 posts, read 398,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You think you need a degree to be a good programmer?
Good as in good enough to work for Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, CIA, any of the top investment banks or hedge funds, yes, absolutely.

You won't learn all the tools you need ( Hardware, discrete mathematics, Calculus, Numerical Analysis, Operating System, Algorithms, Networking, low level Programming languages etc ) by reading just a few books.

Quote:
Better... you think most colleges teach you how to be good programmers?
Don't know, I have only attended two.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:54 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Quote:
I said most degrees are useless. That's because most people don't use their degree beyond the piece of paper they have indicating they have one. On top of that, many people get degrees from lower quality institutions.

Regarding comp sci... very few people become computer scientists. Anyone can learn how to program in a book or a few classes. Time is better spent studying complex problems.

One of the things that I don't like about many universities is they don't require any participation in research at the undergrad level.
Anybody can learn anything they teach at an University on his own. Your point? Especially economics..

Quote:
You think you need a degree to be a good programmer? Better... you think most colleges teach you how to be good programmers? I have had several degreed and non-degreed programmers work for me. There is no correlation between the two. I've had good programmers with degrees and without. Same for bad programmers.
The same can be said about almost any major. What an attitude.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:57 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Anybody can learn anything they teach at an University on his own. Your point? Especially economics..
Indeed, economics is essentially just domain knowledge, it doesn't develop any special skill set. If you have the underlying skills, which can be gained by more rigorous programs, you can easily pick up the domain knowledge.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Good as in good enough to work for Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, CIA, any of the top investment banks or hedge funds, yes, absolutely.

You won't learn all the tools you need ( Hardware, discrete mathematics, Calculus, Numerical Analysis, Operating System, Algorithms, Networking, low level Programming languages etc ) by reading just a few books.
Those are computer science jobs. Not programming jobs for the most part. There's a BIG difference.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:25 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,937 times
Quote:
Those are computer science jobs. Not programming jobs for the most part. There's a BIG difference.
So, why is computer science a waste of time?

Old 11-14-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
So, why is computer science a waste of time?
It's a waste of time for most people... since they will most likely not become computer scientists. Yes, you can name a bunch of software companies such as google and amazon. But there's still a very few of them. If you want to become a computer scientist and work at a software company, great, go for it.

But if you become a programmer at a manufacturing firm or something... you might as well have gone to school for supply chain or a particular industry of your interest.

Who knows, though, maybe it's not a waste of time... maybe I'll scrap my current line of work and work for a software company one day... I doubt it though. It's hard to get paid being a computer scientist at a software company.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:21 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Default Make that "at a University".. ops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Indeed, economics is essentially just domain knowledge, it doesn't develop any special skill set. If you have the underlying skills, which can be gained by more rigorous programs, you can easily pick up the domain knowledge.
I'm still not saying get rid of that major or that it is a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities