Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Would I be prying if I asked you for more details?

Not at all. My original plan was to become a teacher, I was going to do history and government at the high school or possibly the college level. I started out as a Government major, and after I had pretty much the worst professor ever, I changed it to history. I had my history degree all mapped out, with 3 US history classes, 3 Middle Eastern history classes, 3 Asian History classes, and 3 or 4 European History classes. It was all nicely figured out.

Then, I got into a funk because I simply wasn't interested in school anymore, after the first 3 semesters. I stopped going to class, I stopped doing my work, I basically just sorta hung out. I had mentioned wanting to do EMS before, and gave it more serious thought.

That's when I started looking a little deeper- to make any real money, you need your Master's degree or higher, you need to be good enough to make tenure, and possibly become head of a department. There other jobs that don't require as much education that pay far more.

I left that school for a while, did a little traveling, and worked. Paid for one last semester there, changed my major from history to EMS. That school didn't have an actual EMS program, they just offered a few classes, and with my transcript and academic probation I would have never been allowed to take that class while at that university and living on campus- and there's no way I could have taken 12 credit hours at the main university for the degree, 10 credit-hours at the branch where the EMT classes were, and working full time to support myself by getting an apartment.

I've transferred to a smaller branch college closer to home, so I live at home while I'm taking my EMT-B class. I'm transferring to a larger university a year from now and I'll be going with a perfectly clean GPA and academic record from the change of majors and change of schools.

I eventually want to become a paramedic, who make far more starting out than high school teachers (and most university professors) do, with slightly more work related stress. After that, I'd love to become a critical-care flight medic or flight nurse for a medical flight company, they make GREAT money ($60K+ per year plus benefits, plus a great work schedule) and it'd be more than enough to support myself.

I plan on having this done by the time I'm 27 or so, which isn' bad considering I basically have to restart my entire degree. If I ever reach burnout, there's enough money left in my education fund to go on and get a doctorate, and at that point becoming an MD with the experience and about half the classes already finished would be much easier for me than it might be for people just getting into it. I have no desire to take out ridiculous amounts of money in loans for a top-tier school when the state school in my state has perfectly good degrees in medicine, so that would keep costs down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 06:59 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Maybe where you are, my wife is an RN working @ two hospitals, both of which are understaffed because they can not find qualified nurses.
Believe when I say there are plenty of qualified and unemployed nurses out there. Many hospitals are on a hiring freeze or they refuse to hire more nurses because they don't want to spend more money on nurses. Nurses are an added expense that many hospitals do not want to bother spending on. So they hire a few good nurses and force them to take on dangerously high patient loads, networking and burning their staff out.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:01 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
Anybody is free to DM their home address if they'd like the find out.
Just having a little fun. My fightin' days are behind me

Old 10-27-2011, 07:07 PM

233 posts, read 685,728 times
I was a philosophy major, so I heard it all the time. I think my degree is worthless, but certainly not useless.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:09 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Just having a little fun.
I figured as much. There are definitely some tools on here who I wouldn't mind running into on the streets though, if ya get my drift.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aorre View Post
I was a philosophy major, so I heard it all the time. I think my degree is worthless, but certainly not useless.
You are probably more intelligent than most of the people criticizing you. I always found that to be ironic myself. Some of the smartest people I ever met in college were Liberal Arts majors. When I say smart, I don't necessarily mean the most practical. They just had the ability to think on a much higher level than the average joe. It was almost like they were on their own little planet. Don't even get me started on philosophy majors. The discussions we'd have in class would hurt my brain. But I just wasn't interested in all that personally.

Unfortunately, because they didn't choose the most practical, cost efficient degree, they were pinned as dumb and naive. Then again, I'm sure most of them weren't going to college strictly for the $$$ job like most simple, average folk would be interested in. It's really sad that they are given this reputation IMO.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
People who say things like that are typically insecure youknowwhats. Twenty-seven years ago, I earned my degree in English. Today, I'm semi-retired after founding two different companies and selling them off. And even though I consult part-time for clients I like, I still do better than those guys who pursued more 'practical' degrees. In fact, last week, I was flown up to Michigan and told a room full of MBAs how they needed to improve their operations. Because I never saw my degree as limited to reading poetry and writing academic papers. Instead, I saw it as learning how to take in large amounts of abstract information, synthesize it into a workable hypothesis, develop the idea fully, and make it work.

Mind you, that's not a knock on the career-based majors of the world. However, anybody who thinks you can't make a good living with a degree in the humanities just lacks imagination. Starting out is tougher, of course, but if you have any brains or initiative whatsoever, you'll do just fine.

Last edited by cpg35223; 10-27-2011 at 08:00 PM..

Old 10-27-2011, 07:50 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,650,120 times
Quote:
You are probably more intelligent than most of the people criticizing you. I always found that to be ironic myself. Some of the smartest people I ever met in college were Liberal Arts majors. When I say smart, I don't necessarily mean the most practical. They just had the ability to think on a much higher level than the average joe. It was almost like they were on their own little planet. Don't even get me started on philosophy majors. The discussions we'd have in class would hurt my brain. But I just wasn't interested in all that personally.

Unfortunately, because they didn't choose the most practical, cost efficient degree, they were pinned as dumb and naive. Then again, I'm sure most of them weren't going to college strictly for the $$$ job like most simple, average folk would be interested in. It's really sad that they are given this reputation IMO.
So in your opinion, picking a practical career, makes someone "simple folk"

Quote:
I figured as much. There are definitely some tools on here who I wouldn't mind running into on the streets though, if ya get my drift.
hey there Billy Bad ass... way to show your intellegience E-bullying.

LOL...

Old 10-27-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
So in your opinion, picking a practical career, makes someone "simple folk"
Not quite, but let me break it down for you as to clarify what I was suggesting.

If someone picks a practical career, they are not necessarily simple or average. They just chose to go a more practical route.

OTOH, simple/average folk tend to go the practical route (HVAC, plumbing, electrical, auto mechanic, truck driving, etc.). They are not interested in analyzing philosophical principals or finding the distance from the sun to Mercury or reading the works of John Locke or incorporating cosine or sine in an equation to model periodic patterns. Essentially, people who are not academically inclined tend to pursue technical (or what most would consider "practical") careers. This is pretty clear by simply observing the differences in student composition of a top tier university and of a technical school.

In other words:

If you chose a practical career, you aren't necessarily simple or of average intelligence.

If you are simple or of average intelligence, you likely chose or will pursue a more technical/practical career (as opposed to pursuing academic enrichment).

I'm not trying to sound pompous, I'm just stating what is pretty evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
hey there Billy Bad ass... way to show your intellegience E-bullying.

LOL...
E-bullying would suggest that I am antagonizing a particular person on the interweb. Who specifically have I called out and antagonized on this thread?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 PM

454 posts, read 1,242,638 times
Quote:
Tell them to go screw themselves! No degree is worthless. No one can take your education away with you.
I don't care what anyone says. If you have a degree and you are making peanuts after you graduate then your degree is worthless, especially if you are making peanuts and not even working in your field of study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities