Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:46 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times

Advertisements

We all know that a college education is valuable, vocationally and socially.

It's not all about your major or what you've studied/tested for from text books to earn your grade. Much of that, for a lot of us, is much like high school, sort of in one ear, out the other - it's mostly just coursework. Although, I do find when in context, a lot of text-book learning does, in fact, come back, at least for me.

There is far more to a college education than the coursework. There is an entire experience wrapped around it, coursework just being the core that holds it all together. I think we all know this much.

But what is a "college education" comprised of that makes it so valuable? How does it change a person?

I'm starting this thread to give those who care to chime in a chance to share their perspective and try to put into words what the college experience entails and how it improves a person, how it makes one more suitable for employment, and how it makes one different from somebody who lacks a college education - even socially.

~MoKan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 01:34 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post

how it makes one more suitable for employment
This confuses training and education. A true education probably makes one less suitable for employment rather than more suitable. We don't want the employees thinking too much and getting uppity about their total lack of security and economic rights (as opposed to political rights) in the American workplace.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:38 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
There is far more to a college education than the coursework. There is an entire experience wrapped around it, coursework just being the core that holds it all together. I think we all know this much.

~MoKan
Nope.

My 'Full time' living in the dorms as a 18 year old.

Vs.

Going to night school as an early 20's Marine

Vs.

Going back to school in my late 20's

Vs.

Online classes I'm doing now as I wrap up my undergrad and start my masters.

have NOTHING in common EXCEPT coursework.

All 'College education' however.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:44 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
A good college education is one that teaches you to absorb and digest large amounts of information, then draw conclusions from that information and make informed choices so you can function independently in the world.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:02 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Having a college education, even when none is required for a job, is an advantage because it shows that the person had the personal ambition and discipline to make it through difficult classes and reach the goal of a degree.

The so-called college experience of dorms, football and beer is irrelevant to later success in life. The commuter college student and even those taking online classes from a well known accredited university will benefit just as much from the experience. Unfortunately a degree does not guarantee a job. It never did, but these days with the cost and frequency of large student loans it has become very risky as an investment.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:06 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post

The so-called college experience of dorms, football and beer is irrelevant to later success in life. The commuter college student and even those taking online classes from a well known accredited university will benefit just as much from the experience. Unfortunately a degree does not guarantee a job. It never did, but these days with the cost and frequency of large student loans it has become very risky as an investment.
Nah, the social experience is all too important and often ignored. A commuter can have social experiences too, but it takes more commitment. Either way, it is very relevant later on in life.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:54 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I think "the college experience" is being paid to run away from home and hang around with lots and lots of people your own age who are doing the same thing. It might be a fun way to get more mature, but an education it is not.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:59 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think "the college experience" is being paid to run away from home and hang around with lots and lots of people your own age who are doing the same thing. It might be a fun way to get more mature, but an education it is not.
It's an education in social interaction. Without the "college experience" I would never be able to network my way into getting projects. I'd be one of those silly people sitting at home looking at career builder sending out resumes waiting for responses.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:35 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Nah, the social experience is all too important and often ignored. A commuter can have social experiences too, but it takes more commitment. Either way, it is very relevant later on in life.
Hardly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's an education in social interaction. Without the "college experience" I would never be able to network my way into getting projects. I'd be one of those silly people sitting at home looking at career builder sending out resumes waiting for responses.

AMAZINGLY!

I was able to manage 'social interaction' while in the Corps...

HOW DID I EVER MANAGE!

School does NOT come even CLOSE to real life. IMHO it does more to HURT people's future endeavors (Relating to standards, social interaction, bell curves etc.)

Old 11-01-2011, 10:38 PM

2,279 posts, read 3,973,239 times
What is it? It's something special and unique to the individual. It's like losing your virginity, so to speak. Everyone sort of has their own experiences with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities