Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,014 posts, read 79,988,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The world that you occupy right now, at a competitive college, is not the real world.

In the "real world" everyone does not even have their "BA". (or equivalent)
Last I read, approximately 25% of Americans have four year degrees.

That means we are in no imminent danger of being a nation over run with people holding advanced or professional degrees.
It was 33.5% in 2012, with a sharp upward curve recently. Still not close to being over run with graduates, the problem is the downward curve in jobs that pay enough to support the graduate and their student loans. According to one study (below) only 35% of the job openings in the next 6 years will require a degree, so it may get better as the boomers start to retire in significant numbers. That's a pretty even match, though those currently graduating and not finding jobs now may still be in the mix.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/13/ed...anted=all&_r=0

Recovery: Job Growth And Education Requirements Through 2020 | Center on Education and the Workforce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:00 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,814,644 times
Only about 32% of the population has a bachelor's degree or higher, only 15% of the population has a master's or professional degree or higher. I have no idea what BUBBLE some people live in to think that "everybody" is running around with a college degree out here, similar to how "everybody" is running around with a HS diploma (over 89% of the population is a HS graduate).

I have stated that the bachelor's degree is the new HS diploma in some ways, based on the dumbing down of the education over the last 30 years. But in no way does 89% - 90% of the population have a 4 year degree.

If you guys are struggling in the job market after obtaining your degree, you have one or multiple of the following problems:

- You failed to develop any type of quality career plan.

- You majored in something with no applicable skills or demand.

- You failed to acquire applicable 2-4 years of experience, which is normally required ON TOP of obtaining the degree to qualify for the Entry Level Position into your field.

- You failed to move to the part of the country where the job openings are in your field.

- You failed to properly Network with professionals, leaders, managers, etc. within your field to even know where to go to even FIND the job openings. Most of the time they will not be on Monster.com, they will be on niche job boards, niche business clubs, niche business associations, within LinkedIN groups, and just from talking with those higher ups within your network.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:25 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,336,495 times
A lot of it is how you spend your time too. If you only hang out in certain circles, then yes, most people in your world will have Graduate Degrees.

I barely know anyone personally without at least a BS.

I agree that a BS is the new High school degree though. The same job that now "requires" a BS would have been fine 20-30 years ago with a high school grad.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:30 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,165,545 times
I wouldn't advise anyone to go to law school in 2014

Old 10-24-2014, 08:07 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,336,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
I wouldn't advise anyone to go to law school in 2014
I would agree for the most part, however there will always be a need for Corporate/Tax lawyers. Criminal defense and the "fun" versions are a dime a dozen.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:51 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,814,644 times
Quote:
I would agree for the most part, however there will always be a need for Corporate/Tax lawyers. Criminal defense and the "fun" versions are a dime a dozen.
The best Corporate Law positions go to those from the Top Law Schools, as well as the best and majority of the highest paying cases, issues, procedures, etc. go to those from the Top Law Schools at the Top Law Firms.

Every other Lawyer is just running around like a chicken with its head cut off, trying to figure out what to do with their time and how to pay off their significantly HIGH student loan balances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities