U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 06:30 PM

39 posts, read 69,930 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to make a career transition, currently, I'm unemployed and want to further my education. I have some experience in nonprofit and would like to return to that, but the job market is competitive. Two local universities offer programs I'm interested in, one is a Professional Certificate in nonprofit management, this is a noncredit certificate. The other is a Graduate Certificate in nonprofit management. This a 12 credit graduate level program.

I understand the graduate program will look better on my resume, but how much better? The graduate program costs several thousand dollars more. I can finish the professional certificate much faster, and for much cheaper.

My life goal is to own my own business, this is why I'm not currently investing in a full graduate degree or MBA.

I have a 4.0 Undergrad degree from a decent school. is there a major difference between the two if I want a quick career transition?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 12:36 PM

6,196 posts, read 6,223,745 times
After working as an admissions advisor, the lines are pretty blurred, but Professional certificates generally do not require any academic background whatsoever. They are generally geared more towards developing skills. Plus a lot of people tend to use them to advance careers that they are already in, and quite a few employers are even willing to foot the bill for that reason. Some people use them for career transitions as well.

Graduate certificates are generally more academic, and people normally use them to fulfill some type of requirement to either prove their aptitude for graduate admissions or to meet class requirements that will qualify them for certain jobs. You also earn college credits which are applicable towards a degree which is why they are more expensive. Professional certs/diplomas are usually a few hundred dollars and non-credit courses.

The cost is generally a product of the faculty who are teaching the classes. Graduate certificate classes are usually taught by the same staff as the degree seeking ones. Where as professional certificates usually hire field knowledge based instructors (there are exceptions though) without the pedigree of actual academic credentials to be considered Professors.

But I personally believe tha if your goal is to go into business for yourself, and never attain a graduate degree, then a Professional certificate may make the most sense all around.

Congrats on the 4.0 btw.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:40 PM

10,592 posts, read 18,959,658 times
I would consider the professional cert to be like a seminar, while the academic cert is formal college education. If the job market is difficult to break into, I would assume the cert that is more difficult to get would be looked on more favorably. You want to work for yourself, but realistically, how far down the road is that? Five years? Ten years? Twent years? What I'm getting at is don't say, "I'm not going to bother getting an MPA because I'm going to own my own business in twenty years."

Old 12-07-2011, 03:11 PM

243 posts, read 1,567,771 times
If you would like to find work now, getting certified may be the better and lease expensive option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities