U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2011, 06:25 PM

4,231 posts, read 6,950,696 times

Advertisements

I was two and half years into my BA in public relations and health science minor when I wanted to switch. I wanted something more challenging, but I was in too deep to turn back.

If I could do it over, I would have gone with ag plant science.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 12:51 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,898,753 times
Why was it too late? You would just have to go to school longer to complete the classes needed for the ag plant science degree.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:10 PM

4,231 posts, read 6,950,696 times
What scared me from changing was the money it would have required to stay those extra years.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:23 PM

16,141 posts, read 22,513,927 times
Often you can do a masters, and sure it is more cost. But, what price do you put on your life's work. You may always regret not pursuing it. If you are under 25, I think you could count on it being worth it in the long run. my opinion only.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 1,992,021 times
I'm okay with the major I've chosen, but if I were extremely unhappy at this point (I'm a third year), I would NOT switch majors. I would keep on going, graduate, and either go back to school or look for work outside of my field of study.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:54 AM

4,805 posts, read 21,713,909 times
It's never too late. I know several people who changed major in their last semester. What's the point of finishing a degree that will only allow you to work in a field that you will be miserable in? Surely a lifetime of misery is more expensive than a few extra semesters of college.

Finishing your degree and then pursuing a graduate degree in your preferred field might be an attractive option if you don't want to change majors as an undergraduate.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:53 AM

191 posts, read 456,693 times
Yes, I have been in undergrad for 4 years now, I was two semesters away(plus summer sessions) from graduating with a BA in Finance however this semester I decided to change my major to Insurance & Risk Management. The finance courses I was taking were not as interesting as IRM so I changed majors. The way I looked at it was I did not plan on working towards my MBA until WAYYYYY later on into my career so I might as well get my BA in something that I could be proud of. I am happy with my decision.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:04 AM

2,337 posts, read 7,380,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
Why was it too late? You would just have to go to school longer to complete the classes needed for the ag plant science degree.
This is not really an option if you are receiving financial aid and could not go to college without it. Part of the rules for 'Satisfactory Academic Progress' (SAP) needed to receive financial aid includes a maximum timeframe toward completion. For example, at my alma mater, if you are enrolled in a 128 credit-degree program, then you can only collect financial aid for 192 credits; a difference of 64 credits. So most likely if you are a junior, and you are dependent on financial aid to fund your degree, it would in fact be too late to switch your major.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:32 AM

6,045 posts, read 22,805,433 times
I realized about three months before getting my BA in psych that I loved social work. I found out by accident when I got laid off from my job and took a social work job. Kinda too late then...the school I was going to didn't even have a social work program. Fortunately the fields are similar and I've been able to get social work jobs with my degree for the past 10 years. But I do feel limited, so I'm back in school working on an MSW.

If you are just two and a half years in on your BA, I think that should have ample time to switch majors without having to do too much extra work. It would be worth doing an extra semester or two now, than going back and getting a second bachelors degree or a graduate degree later on.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:20 PM

191 posts, read 456,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
This is not really an option if you are receiving financial aid and could not go to college without it. Part of the rules for 'Satisfactory Academic Progress' (SAP) needed to receive financial aid includes a maximum timeframe toward completion. For example, at my alma mater, if you are enrolled in a 128 credit-degree program, then you can only collect financial aid for 192 credits; a difference of 64 credits. So most likely if you are a junior, and you are dependent on financial aid to fund your degree, it would in fact be too late to switch your major.

This is true but most of the time, you should still have time. Generally SAP requirements are up to 170 sch, if the degree program is 120 sch(which most are) required to obtain degree than you will have 50 extra sch to work with without exceeding that limit which is roughly 16 3-sch courses.

But also, it depends on what you are switching your major to, if it requires a lot of extra courses because youre also switching schools(colleges) then it may be too late, like in my case, switching to a different concentration under the same college(college of business) where I already had met all my core business courses, it was not too late, so I changed majors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities