Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:22 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about changing my major. I don't think I'm equipped to endure a CS program. I don't have the aptitude to. I want to get into a major that will help me get a career. I'm getting older, and I can't keep retaking courses.

Is accounting a lucrative major?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 10:28 PM

158 posts, read 239,186 times
it can be..but you still need connections. I met someone who just finished their masters in accounting and they still dont have a job.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:43 PM

877 posts, read 2,013,045 times
Yes and no. Because a lot of people have lost their jobs, they have no taxes to pay (unless they have been recently laid-off) but even so, people are more uptight about money than ever and doing their taxes themselves instead. I have a few friends who do this. It's definitely not so easy to break into anymore. A father of a friend who has worked at a bank for about 20 years with a $200K salary got laid off...just like that.

Think about what YOU want to do, not what is the fastest way to earn some cash. Have you thought about management?

Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Yes and no. Because a lot of people have lost their jobs, they have no taxes to pay (unless they have been recently laid-off) but even so, people are more uptight about money than ever and doing their taxes themselves instead. I have a few friends who do this. It's definitely not so easy to break into anymore. A father of a friend who has worked at a bank for about 20 years with a $200K salary got laid off...just like that.

Think about what YOU want to do, not what is the fastest way to earn some cash. Have you thought about management?

No

I don't think that's for me.

Other than engineering, what are some fields that are in demand?

Old 01-31-2012, 05:51 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Other than engineering, what are some fields that are in demand?
Hot Jobs in High Demand 2011 - 2016 - Economic Recovery

The 50 Best Careers - US News and World Report

Old 01-31-2012, 07:37 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,949 times
Accounting still has hiring, but you have to work to make connections with recruiters while you're still in school. Most of the major employers only hire through their college recruiting pipeline, so once you lose access to that it's tough to find a job.

There are a lot of jobs in accounting that don't involve taxes, and a lot of firms don't really do much with individual tax returns so I don't think that people doing their own taxes is really a problem except for the smaller firms/practitioners.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:04 AM

158 posts, read 239,186 times
^^^ totally agree...im teaching and i found a job quicker than my friend. I WAS surprised considering she went to houston to look for work. She said she could do a temp job but it sounded boring since its general accouting stuff. One of the perks of being a teacher i guess..at least i can't get canned until the end of the year. As for fields in demand..nursing is still in demand, but remember that things that are in demand get saturated over time and I think we are starting to see that with the accounting profession.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:04 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Accounting is such a broad field. Study hard and do at least one internship while in school.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:24 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Is Accounting a Good Major?

It certainly CAN be.

Don't avoid the "difficult" classes. Take as many of those as you can schedule. The ones that most try to stay away from, maybe advanced tax accounting, international accouting, and the legal courses. And since you started in CS, maybe you could stay with enough of it to have a minor. That would complement an accounting major very nicely.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:55 AM

454 posts, read 1,242,638 times
There are no, "good" fields. By that I mean, for every field its not going to be easy to get a good job simply because you have xyz degree.

but accounting is better than some of the other majors out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities