Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:31 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times

Advertisements

Well, the first two introductory accounting courses were easy As for me. Then I got into intermediate and advanced level accounting classes and those As turned into Cs. Intermediate II was a nightmare class for me. I had to withdraw and take it again, and passed the second time with a C.

A big problem for me is that I just didn't put forth the effort needed. I found the material to be incredibly boring. Studying for my upper level accounting classes was about as interesting as studying the paint on my bedroom wall, and that's no exaggeration.

I did end up graduating and presently work as an accountant. In the end I guess it was worth it. At least I get paid a decent salary to be bored now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 09:59 PM

78 posts, read 274,823 times
Accounting is very difficult, challenging and boring and depressing. I sucked at it and switched major after first semester!

Old 09-29-2013, 02:57 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,873,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Well, the first two introductory accounting courses were easy As for me. Then I got into intermediate and advanced level accounting classes and those As turned into Cs. Intermediate II was a nightmare class for me. I had to withdraw and take it again, and passed the second time with a C.

A big problem for me is that I just didn't put forth the effort needed. I found the material to be incredibly boring. Studying for my upper level accounting classes was about as interesting as studying the paint on my bedroom wall, and that's no exaggeration.

I did end up graduating and presently work as an accountant. In the end I guess it was worth it. At least I get paid a decent salary to be bored now.
That is what I was saying earlier. Accounting isnt theoretical physics. Almost anyone with an average intelligence can excel in it if they are willing to put in a lot of time and work hard and long hours.

IRL accounting is about that too. Often the hours can be long and there is a lot of work. It isnt exciting but it is stable with good pay and security.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 9,192 times
Just recently changed and am now an accounting major any tips?

Old 10-21-2014, 12:30 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,424,525 times
Accounting involves NO hard math, its all about rules and regulations. Its more in line with law than with any other field. I love getting the "oh you must be good at math" line from people when I tell them what I do. No. Let me explain: Your business purchases a generator for $100k with an estimated salvage value of 10k. The asset has a useful life of 5 years. How much depreciation expense do you record monthly? (100k-10k)/5/12=$1500/month. That's it, its 4th grade math. The COMPLEX part is the fact that that's one of the several different methods of depreciation and knowing that you use this method for your financial statements but use a completely different method for tax purposes, and that this is one of the kagillion things that you need to know in order to pass the CPA exam. Its all about knowing the rules of financial reporting, and contract law, and personal tax, and corporate tax, and not for profit tax, and on and on and on. It really is a special subset of law.

And that doesn't even touch on the comprehension of the flow of information between financial statements, like how one transaction flows from the income statement through the balance sheet.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:32 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,424,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyers4 View Post
On what?

Study?..........

Old 10-21-2014, 12:41 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,494,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Accounting involves NO hard math, its all about rules and regulations. Its more in line with law than with any other field. I love getting the "oh you must be good at math" line from people when I tell them what I do. No. Let me explain: Your business purchases a generator for $100k with an estimated salvage value of 10k. The asset has a useful life of 5 years. How much depreciation expense do you record monthly? (100k-10k)/5/12=$1500/month. That's it, its 4th grade math. The COMPLEX part is the fact that that's one of the several different methods of depreciation and knowing that you use this method for your financial statements but use a completely different method for tax purposes, and that this is one of the kagillion things that you need to know in order to pass the CPA exam. Its all about knowing the rules of financial reporting, and contract law, and personal tax, and corporate tax, and not for profit tax, and on and on and on. It really is a special subset of law.

And that doesn't even touch on the comprehension of the flow of information between financial statements, like how one transaction flows from the income statement through the balance sheet.
Oh God. You gave me flashbacks to my financial accounting class.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:08 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,388,384 times
I knew plenty of accounting majors. There was actually less math then I would have assumed.

I would guess now a good chunk of it is computer programs.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:42 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,922,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyers4 View Post
Prepare yourself for nerd jokes. I give my CPA crap all the time, mostly because he fits the stereotype almost to a tee (he doesn't wear glasses and NO LONGER wears a pocket protector).

Old 10-21-2014, 08:13 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,828,582 times
One of my bachelor's degrees is in Accounting, I was also preparing for the CPA Exam just to grab that on the side even though I don't "need it" as I don't work for a direct Accounting position. I decided to stop forgoing the CPA License on the side because it was eating too much into my work schedule. I still have my CPA Excel membership though lol.

Accounting is hard, don't let people fool you into thinking it's just basic math. Accounting is like learning a foreign language, only that the foreign language also includes a bunch of foreign rules for "calculations" that you would only utilize most of the time within the Accounting framework. There's also different sections of Accounting, you have the Intermediate Accounting (Financial), Managerial Accounting (Cost), Tax Accounting (IRS, State and Local), Auditing, as well as Government/Non Profit Accounting. All with various rules, regulations, etc. that sometimes CHANGE on a yearly basis, so the information you learned about Auditing 4 years ago is most likely something totally different today with the new rules implemented.

I still to this DAY, do not understand every single thing within Accounting and had it not been for my tutors working with me on the side, I would not have completed that bachelor's degree. I also have an MBA, and I can tell you the Accounting bachelor's degree was 10 TIMES HARDER than anything my MBA had to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities