Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,248,825 times

Advertisements

I'm my 2nd year as an accounting major and to be honest, I haven't really decided if it is difficult yet. I've got straight A's so far, but the weird thing is I just don't know if I'm *really* good at it yet, so either I have an aptitude and just don't know it... or I'll get my a$$ handed to me in Intermediate.

Another poster mentioned accounting as being the equivalent of learning another language, and that is spot on. It's like how you can take a foreign language for years, but the real test is using that language among native speakers: you can conjugate verbs with the best of them, but that doesn't do you much good if you can't understand directions to the bathroom, kwim?

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 10-22-2014 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 10:41 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,823,582 times
There is no objective answer to this question. It just depends on an individual's aptitudes. Easy for one person, hard for another, somewhere in between for yet others.

If you can do basic algebra (and really understand why the formulas work), plus have a pretty good aptitude for following the logic trail in a complex system, plus enjoy following procedures.... you will probably be good at accounting. If those are not really your things then don't major in accounting.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:02 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,437,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I'm my 2nd year as an accounting major and to be honest, I haven't really decided if it is difficult yet. I've got straight A's so far, but the weird thing is I just don't know if I'm *really* good at it yet, so either I have an aptitude and just don't know it... or I'll get my a$$ handed to me in Intermediate.

Another poster mentioned accounting as being the equivalent of learning another language, and that is spot on. It's like the how you can take a foreign language for years, but the real test is using that language among native speakers: you an conjugate verbs with the best of them, but that doesn't do you much good if you can't understand directions to the bathroom, kwim?
lol don't worry, youll get 5 years into the field and still never be "good at it" because there are so many disciplines within accounting. If you go into audit then youll be good at audit, but know nothing about taxation. Moreover you wont be "master" of any particular area like property accounting or payroll accounting.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,248,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
lol don't worry, youll get 5 years into the field and still never be "good at it" because there are so many disciplines within accounting. If you go into audit then youll be good at audit, but know nothing about taxation. Moreover you wont be "master" of any particular area like property accounting or payroll accounting.
^^That's what I keep hearing . My uncle is a ridiculously successful CPA, so when I finished Principles II last semester, I called him freaking out "I don't get it. I got an A, but I feel like I know nothing!" I think that's what I struggle most with in accounting: having confidence that I can actually do the job, and then even veterans have to take a pause before deciding what goes in which column.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 9,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
On what?

Study?..........
What is it like and what should I expect?

Old 11-07-2014, 07:13 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,743,016 times
I think the reason why a lot of people think accounting is such a hard major is due to the fact that many people, who just aren't accounting people, are pushing themselves into accounting because it is a relatively stable, comfortable career field. I think the more people try to put a square peg into a round hole and pushes something that really doesn't suit their strong points, the more that particular major gets a reputation for being a "hard major."

Old 11-07-2014, 12:36 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,630,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I think the reason why a lot of people think accounting is such a hard major is due to the fact that many people, who just aren't accounting people, are pushing themselves into accounting because it is a relatively stable, comfortable career field. I think the more people try to put a square peg into a round hole and pushes something that really doesn't suit their strong points, the more that particular major gets a reputation for being a "hard major."
I'd agree with that, even though principles of accounting come fairly naturally to me. Ultimately I didn't go into the field not because I find the work itself hard to grasp, but because I don't like the work style.

Intellectually I think auditing is fascinating. But the reality of the travel, the long hours, and the often unpleasant work sites just make the day-to-day aspects not at all appealing to me. Not to mention, the people you're working with on-site are often distrustful, whereas I prefer work relationships that are more collaborative/advising in nature.

Likewise, I'm increasingly drawn to cost accounting, but real cost accounting is as much art as science, and I only know that I test well on the science part.

Tax accounting/law (or bookkeeping), on the other hand, really doesn't interest me at all. It's of huge political/practical importance, but in actual practice I find it duller than paint drying.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:50 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,403,622 times
I don't think it's a "hard" major, but it is harder than people expect. Business is considered to be an easy major.

Accounting is grouped similarly, but is not "easy". It's not hard like Astrophysics or something like that, but it's not something one can slack off at.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:32 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,630,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
I don't think it's a "hard" major, but it is harder than people expect. Business is considered to be an easy major.
As a generalization, I'd say the difference is that many undergraduate business degrees are "samplers." You get intros to a variety of fields (marketing/finance/theory/etc.) and then can do your upper-level coursework in whichever of those suits you best.

Accounting is more of a specialty field - certainly there are differences between cost accounting and tax accounting, but the skills/concepts are in the same ballpark.

By comparison you can get marketing majors who completely suck at finance and vice versa.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:33 AM

1,901 posts, read 1,833,677 times
Quote:
randomlikeme

"Hard" is subjective, for example a "fit" guy could run a mile easily while a person out of shape would find running that mile extremely difficult. I think that we should step back and look at this from a general perspective in terms of "the average person".

The average person can get through majoring in Psychology, Communications, English, History, or another liberal arts study because there's very little if any math and science involved. There's no complicated ratios, calculations, etc. Most of it is easy "theory," routine memorization or simple regurgitation. In other words, "the answer" is already there and it's easy to pinpoint based on just reading chapters, memorizing what you read and regurgitating.

However, the average person will have difficulty getting through Accounting, Engineering, Chemistry, Biology, and other Stem related areas. The reason being is that it's not just simple theory or regurgitation, it's very complicated concepts, calculations, deductive reasoning, as well as old theories that build upon new theories that build upon prospective theories coming up down the line. The "answer" isn't so CUT AND DRY to arrive at, sometimes the "answer" can be a multitude of options and the person has to have not just the skill, but the discipline and IQ to comprehend the area to deductively and critically arrive to the proper answer. The average person can't do this, however, that doesn't mean that someone that is skilled in Math would find Accounting "hard" per say. But understand, someone that is skilled in Math isn't AVERAGE by any sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities