Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 08:14 AM

4,884 posts, read 6,975,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
It's like anything else. If you have an aptitude for it, then you do well at it. If you don't have an aptitude for it, you crash and burn.

My wife has a CPA and is now the CFO of a sizable company. She described her accounting classes being as easy as breathing. Meanwhile, accounting to me is about as arcane as black magic. Then again, she can't do what I do.
Viva La Difference. Our "aptitudes" are what they are. My wife and I are the same way. Together we can understand most anything thrown at us.

I believe almost everyone is born to be really good at something. The key is figuring it out.

Something that really P.O.'s me it's someone that has abilities in one particular sector putting down others as stupid since that just doesn't happen to fit into our center of abilities.

Forcing me to be an accountant would be the equivalent to putting me on a chain gang.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 08:22 AM

6,650 posts, read 4,360,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It has no math?

You got to be joking...
Very basic math, like adding and subtracting (of course, today calculators can do it for you). Accounting is a man-made discipline with principles to follow. My undergrad is in Accounting. Worked for a large international firm at the start of my career. Very boring job. Have never seen a person who works in Accounting who loves his job. Most go into it for the $.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:45 AM

804 posts, read 549,900 times
IDK why anybody would think accounting is hard. There are dozens of majors graduated with their CPE not getting jobs. Instead they are falling into jobs that will take their accounting etc......

Again from my experience you will be discriminated for a variety of reasons. The actual amount of jobs are being hijacked mostly men of a specific religious/race/culture group. I have yet seen anybody important who are women in accounting major that is full figured/obese/fat/over-weight or out of shape. I do see any women in accounting related work they most likely look like models, or television personalities ( like when you go to the morgue or doctors office ) Again I am not talking about finance but the same could also be said.

Try going for non-for-profit and reality and you will see what I mean. I am talking about big private and public organizations. Any other job will most likely land you in a manager position being paid to do what a 14 year old should be doing asides for things to do with money.

Otherwise I have heard about many job-searching all going to the next big organization where they literally do not touch trash. All they had was a revolving door of accountant graduates.

It is not hard to do accounting. It is hard to get a respectable position in a place where you feel needed and loved. Many of these people in related fields in my opinion are not too bright and are taking advantage of other peoples wealth. That is what I know and see.

Last edited by DanArt; 06-21-2019 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-08-2019, 12:25 PM

439 posts, read 425,359 times
Tea accounts? We drink coffee in accounting. Black coffee if you are over 60.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:13 PM

5 posts, read 8,004 times
Concur. Very boring. I hated my jobs in accounting.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:47 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,610,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
IDK why anybody would think accounting is hard. There are dozens of majors graduated with their CPE not getting jobs. Instead they are falling into jobs that will take their accounting etc......

Again from my experience you will be discriminated for a variety of reasons. The actual amount of jobs are being hijacked mostly men of a specific religious/race/culture group. I have yet seen anybody important who are women in accounting major that is full figured/obese/fat/over-weight or out of shape. I do see any women in accounting related work they most likely look like models, or television personalities ( like when you go to the morgue or doctors office ) Again I am not talking about finance but the same could also be said.

Try going for non-for-profit and reality and you will see what I mean. I am talking about big private and public organizations. Any other job will most likely land you in a manager position being paid to do what a 14 year old should be doing asides for things to do with money.

Otherwise I have heard about many job-searching all going to the next big organization where they literally do not touch trash. All they had was a revolving door of accountant graduates.

It is not hard to do accounting. It is hard to get a respectable position in a place where you feel needed and loved. Many of these people in related fields in my opinion are not too bright and are taking advantage of other peoples wealth. That is what I know and see.
What is a CPE? This rant seems off base. I don’t know any CPAs who have trouble finding work. Accounting is a needed skill and it’s not intuitive.

In the large organizations I have worked for the C-Suite always has representation from CPAs, even outside the CFO role. Currently my Chief Commercial Officer is a CPA as is my CFO. At my prior company, the CEO was a CPA.

I’m currently doing an MBA at an Ivy League school. The class average on our accounting midterm was 66%. The class is comprised of people with masters and PHDs in mathematics and engineering. Accounting isn’t easy just because the math is.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 07-09-2019 at 06:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities