U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:35 AM

511 posts, read 2,364,668 times

Advertisements

A relative of mine is in his 2nd year of college and has decided on an Accounting Major. She said that the first two Accounting classes were the hardest and the Professor made a point to tell the class that a good percent of the class would bomb out because they just could not handle it. The Professor said, "Some of you will be bored, some of you don't have the intellectual skills to handle the complexity of the subject and some of you will admit to yourself that the study of Accounting is just too complex."

In your experience is the study of Accounting in college really that hard?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 09:25 AM

506 posts, read 1,214,100 times
No. But the professor's statement is true.

Many students - particularly freshman business students - are stupid.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:11 AM

920 posts, read 1,708,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
A relative of mine is in his 2nd year of college and has decided on an Accounting Major. She said that the first two Accounting classes were the hardest and the Professor made a point to tell the class that a good percent of the class would bomb out because they just could not handle it. The Professor said, "Some of you will be bored, some of you don't have the intellectual skills to handle the complexity of the subject and some of you will admit to yourself that the study of Accounting is just too complex."

In your experience is the study of Accounting in college really that hard?
Yup, it's very hard and demanding. The reason was, when I attended college, accounting was needed if you wanted to get into corporate management. CFO's, Treasurers, Controllers, SEC Compliance officers, on and on, mainly came from accounting, they needed to know how to analyze data, create it, deliver it and act on the information. It made you a very valuable person and if you did your job correctly, you would rise in the ranks and make very good money.

The problem is that we're in a Depression and the need for white collar functionaries is a far less than what it was for me coming out of college in the late 80s. It's the Big Four, rather than the Big Eight, which existed back in my day. Pretty soon, it'll be the Big Two. The competition is highly intense, so the stakes are higher and the demands for undergrads much greater. Wait until you relative gets into Intermediate Accounting, that's where they wash out over 50% of the class....

Old 02-05-2012, 10:23 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,126,576 times
As someone that dropped out of an accounting program.

It wasn't hard, I mean it was challenging, you had to work. The "hard" part at least to me was being interested enough to put the time and energy in to actually do it. If you don't put in the work you get behind quick and get lost, so lost its hard to find your way back.

I think the math technical level was only College Algebra, but you had to work the numbers inside out, up and down, so its complex. I guess the best example is, a simple arithmitic problem is simple math. but 1+4+5+4+2+3+7+4\12+5-4+55*300-4 Its simple arithmitic, but you are going to have to sit, remember some order of operation rules, etc...

I saw alot of people have issues in some of the earlier classes, and its funny when you take an early class, struggle, then go to an upper level class and struggle, then look back at how easy the other stuff was. LOL.

In comparison to other degrees i had friends in, it was more difficult, wasn't those most difficult I think the engineers had that one down. I left when I was about 75% complete.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:20 PM

6,941 posts, read 9,171,177 times
What's so hard about accounting? I plan on switching to it.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,706,389 times
I didn't think it was that hard, it was really repetitive. That was a good thing though, because if you had a good understanding of the basics in the intro classes it wasn't too hard to apply those concepts to the advanced classes. It was really just applying the rules to different, more complicated situations. This especially went for the financial accounting courses. Tax was kind of its own thing, and was probably tougher since things change frequently from year to year.

You need to be good at basic arithmetic, but that's most of the math you'll need other than some elementary algebra and statistics. I didn't think it was too difficult if someone was willing to put in the work. I had an undergrad in English and thought that was harder since you had to write well and analyze a lot of complicated work that wasn't always that easy to read.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:03 PM

37,414 posts, read 49,999,859 times
It depends on your skill set. My SO is a forensic accountant and fraud analyst, and loved his classes...some were easier, some were harder, but he enjoyed all of them, because he loves accounting...even the advanced stuff needed for the CPA exams. He also has an undergrad degree in English. Because his undergrad wasn't in an accounting- or business-related area, he had to do some leveling courses before he could take grad-level accounting curriculum, and the only things he hated were a couple of required marketing courses he for some reason had to take...he didn't find them hard, though, just stupid and BS.

For me, accounting coursework would be a nightmare. But those are not where my skills and interests lie. I think coursework in all disciplines sucks a lot for people who aren't really into that particular study or adept at it, but are taking it for whatever other reasons - usually parental pressure, the misguided notion that "well, that's where the money is, so I'd better major in it, even if I suck at it," etc. I think all majors have weed-out coursework built in at some stage early on, and those with the skills and interest level that would make them most successful in their studies get through them okay.

To the OP, you post pretty frequently about your relatives and their academic choices and experiences, and seem to be pretty critical of everything about them. Why is that, out of curiosity?

Old 02-05-2012, 06:43 PM

15,860 posts, read 27,900,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
..some were easier, some were harder, but he enjoyed all of them, because he loves accounting...even the advanced stuff needed for the CPA exams. He also has an undergrad degree in English. Because his undergrad wasn't in an accounting- or business-related area, he had to do some leveling courses before he could take grad-level accounting curriculum, and the only things he hated were a couple of required marketing courses he for some reason had to take...he didn't find them hard, though, just stupid and BS.
I fell into that same category. Liberal arts degree with NO business courses.

The accounting courses were quite easy for the most part. The tax classes were far more challenging as a lot of the tax provisions were less than logical. Most of the "leveling courses", especially the marketing classes, were a complete waste of time.

I found that my undergraduate pursuits were far more challenging and required significantly MORE writing skills than the graduate classes.

Having said that, my experience as a graduate assistant in accounting was that people who"got" accounting really did not have all that many problems with the courses. However, a lot of my really bright friends just could not understand and struggled with the intro classes.

The intermediate accounting class separates the sheep from the goats.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:26 AM

3,737 posts, read 3,843,167 times
The accounting classes I took were some of the easiest classes I ever took. I've taken the first two classes and a bunch of grad level accounting classes.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:33 PM

3 posts, read 268,471 times
Maybe I'm "stupid" but I thought the one accounting class that I took was very complex/hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities