Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:04 AM

1,359 posts, read 4,848,119 times

Advertisements

Some people major in econ and get a master's in accounting or taxation. I noticed it a lot in my last job, which was in California. The University of California system doesn't offer accounting as a major so those students usually major in econ if they want to go into accounting. Most but not all of them would do a year-long master's program afterward, although some did not. Just saying that you don't necessarily have to forget about accounting if you major in econ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,209,873 times
I think accounting is a solid degree and one that can lead to job prospects over a wide geography.

I would marry econ to it as a minor or a double major (if allowed) ..... the two studies are quite different and having a background in both may also help open up doors to consulting and other associated paths

Old 02-07-2012, 10:40 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,672,669 times
But numbers show Econ grads start off at higher salaries than the Business majors.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,159,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
But numbers show Econ grads start off at higher salaries than the Business majors.
econ, accounting, and business are all distinctly different things...comparing econ and accounting isn't really relevant to business

Old 02-10-2012, 01:03 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,759,542 times
Quote:

Thats because a typical economics major is going to be qualified for just about any job a typical business major can get.

Not to mention jobs specifically dealing with Economics (which tend to be higher paying)

Old 02-10-2012, 01:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,682 posts, read 57,964,398 times
Quote:
Take a BIGGER picture, life / employment is a process. Short-cut the process and you may be stuck for life with a lessor earning potential (tho many things add into that). You didn't say WHAT you wanted to be working at when you get your BA, nor your career / earning / learning objectives.

Accounting is a tool (and a very important one). I have talked with many an employer who would NOT hire a business major that was NOT an Accounting major. (they can put accounting folks right to work earning the company some revenue, AND Accounting folks can HELP the company be more efficient / profitable).

If you have the choice / time... I would get accounting major and econ or Financial Econ major. Work a few yrs as accounting to get SOLID experience.

Then... branch out into fields of interest with your Accounting tool in your bag and keep it SHARP. (I'm doing a well paying 'skilled' job that I haven't done in 30+ yrs). Beats living under a bridge.

Yes, Econ is very interesting, but jobs go to higher degree and very astute 'learned' individuals. Get yourself a subscription to the Economist and many other sources to stay informed on world economy. Use that to your INVESTMENT / SKILLSET advantage (You will make more money doing this than WORKING for wages).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities