Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:02 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Really? Tell us about them!
Well, one writes poetry in his basement all day.....

One is an elementary school teacher (and not that it is a bad thing but not in the field she went to Harvard for...)

Some are still looking for jobs after being downsized out of companies...after 2 years....one of that group is working part time at Target though....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 08:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
One thing is for sure... CC makes no sense for this girl.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
One thing is for sure... CC makes no sense for this girl.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:27 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Between a CC and the Ivy League, there are a world of schools. My sister is focusing ONLY on this one type of college.

Someone mentioned "a HS in the Bronx" with reference to my niece's school. Bronx HS of Science is an elite and venerable High School. It is not filled with poor students, or rich students.
It's filled with smart students.

It is also a Select NYC school, one must take a test to get in.

My niece has told me that she wants a change. A school that is a bit low key and one that has a social life. She wants to live outside of NY, in a dorm and to make friends.

I have no agenda other than that, and to relay ideas to my sister that she, my sister, might be open to, other than Ivy's, Almost Ivies, and MIT.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:43 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Between a CC and the Ivy League, there are a world of schools. My sister is focusing ONLY on this one type of college.

Someone mentioned "a HS in the Bronx" with reference to my niece's school. Bronx HS of Science is an elite and venerable High School. It is not filled with poor students, or rich students.
It's filled with smart students.

It is also a Select NYC school, one must take a test to get in.

My niece has told me that she wants a change. A school that is a bit low key and one that has a social life. She wants to live outside of NY, in a dorm and to make friends.

I have no agenda other than that, and to relay ideas to my sister that she, my sister, might be open to, other than Ivy's, Almost Ivies, and MIT.
OK, I looked at the list of top engineering schools again, and I think I've got a winner, Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh. Now it's not "low key" in the academic sense, but it has a social life, and she could live in the dorms. In fact, she'd probably be required to live in the dorms freshman year. I know several young women from Colorado who went there and flourished. One met her future husband there, so it is social.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I looked at the list of top engineering schools again, and I think I've got a winner, Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh. Now it's not "low key" in the academic sense, but it has a social life, and she could live in the dorms. In fact, she'd probably be required to live in the dorms freshman year. I know several young women from Colorado who went there and flourished. One met her future husband there, so it is social.
Except that is still driving distance from New York and this girl wants to get away from her mom....

I think the U of MN is still a great option for her and from what it sounds like, a perfect fit. Travel costs can be factored into overall costs and there are scholarships out there that will cover travel costs. It is also taken into consideration at many schools when they are factoring in financial aid, especially for low income students, and, coming from that far away has it's benefits for scholarships, etc.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Except that is still driving distance from New York and this girl wants to get away from her mom....

I think the U of MN is still a great option for her and from what it sounds like, a perfect fit. Travel costs can be factored into overall costs and there are scholarships out there that will cover travel costs. It is also taken into consideration at many schools when they are factoring in financial aid, especially for low income students, and, coming from that far away has it's benefits for scholarships, etc.
Well, it's a long drive. About 500 miles. I doubt Mom would do it more than once in fall to take her out and once in the spring to bring her back home, assuming she comes home for the summer. MN would work, too. However, your niece might find it a little farther away than she wanted, once she gets there. Yes, travel costs are factored into student aid, usually in the form of loans.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:07 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Carnagie Mellon is an excellent choice. DS, like many people in Manhattan, does not own a car!

Old 02-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Carnagie Mellon is an excellent choice. DS, like many people in Manhattan, does not own a car!
That shows my bias, LOL! I hadn't thought of that. In that case, your niece would be 8 or so hours away by bus, or an hour's airplane ride away, meaning many hours in transit. Not real close.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Cornell is more well rounded than most Tech schools and is in the same caliber as Carneige Mellon despite having one having an "Ivy" name to it and the other not. A bit less elitist than the rest of the ivies. It also takes a lot of students from the select public NYC schools. Supposedly gives a decent amount of need based aid.

Has frequent bus service (takes 4hr30min - 5hr) to NYC, so it's she wants to get as far away from home as possible might not be the best choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities