Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 PM

1,014 posts, read 786,397 times

Advertisements

I am still debating over a few degrees and i saw Healthcare Administration and i was wondering if that's a good degree? You can get a Certificate for it and then get straight to a degree.

What kind of jobs can i get from this degree and the certificate? I tried extensive research and nothing comes up. I would hate to go for it and make 13 an hour

thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 03:09 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,828,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
I am still debating over a few degrees and i saw Healthcare Administration and i was wondering if that's a good degree? You can get a Certificate for it and then get straight to a degree.

What kind of jobs can i get from this degree and the certificate? I tried extensive research and nothing comes up. I would hate to go for it and make 13 an hour

thanks everyone!
What you need to understand is that no degree will not automatically get you a job making $100K per year. You need experience and you need to climb the corporate ladder. Yes, this degree will help you get your foot in the door, but there are PLENTY of college graduates with great degrees who are working for just above minimum wage.

Do you even like the idea of being in the healthcare field or are you just doing it because Obama's putting so much emphasis and spending into healthcare?

Old 02-15-2012, 03:51 PM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
What you need to understand is that no degree will not automatically get you a job making $100K per year. You need experience and you need to climb the corporate ladder. Yes, this degree will help you get your foot in the door, but there are PLENTY of college graduates with great degrees who are working for just above minimum wage.

Do you even like the idea of being in the healthcare field or are you just doing it because Obama's putting so much emphasis and spending into healthcare?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a sample size of one, so no statistical relevance, but a masters in HCA made the SO really rich. (This all predates the Obamacare fiasco, which will destroy our healthcare, but I am old enough to no longer care).

You have to want to work in the healthcare industry (it has its downsides), but a good manager in the field will go very far. (For my relatives, I only have a sample size of five, so still that still doesn't really count, but between all of us we have 14 personal houses... so I thnk that may give you an idea of what it can yield... though we all went in to the medical field for altruistic and humanitarian reasons... the rest was just gravy. (And all mine go to charity, granted nothing for any liberal cause, or it all gets revoked).

Old 02-15-2012, 03:56 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Yes it is a good field, especially if you get some experience in elder care/assisted living type places.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:22 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
sounds more like a management type degree--the kind that requires experience in a similar field before you can actually make use of it.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:52 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
sounds more like a management type degree--the kind that requires experience in a similar field before you can actually make use of it.
There are varying levels of "management" even inside a hospital or care facility but this is one area where experience comes from doing. Most people I know in this field started out at small facilities and worked their way up to larger facilities. Someone may start in a smaller, rural nursing home, for example and work their way up to a medium sized hospital and into a major hospital. I do know if you are at all interested in living in a smaller town/rural area, jobs in health care administration are plentiful.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:33 AM

4 posts, read 110,421 times
A healthcare administration degree will lead to the job of a health services manager or healthcare administrator, who is in charge of managing and overseeing administrative operations in a healthcare facility. Here’s a link where you will find detailed and reliable information about this career:

Medical and Health Services Managers : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

According to the information available on the link, you’ll be making much more than $13 an hour as a healthcare administrator. If you are keen on pursuing this career, check out California College San Diego healthcare administration degree.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:10 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
(This all predates the Obamacare fiasco, which will destroy our healthcare, but I am old enough to no longer care).
Snicker snicker snicker... many parts of ACA will better our healthcare system. It helps to know about them beforehand though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
It IS a management degree. Someone I know who just finished HCA told me that it is aimed towards nurses who want to better their outlook.

Two people I currently work with have HCA degrees. They're comfortably making $$, but have experience in the field, and I think this is what's the most important about HCA: you're furthering your experience, not going off of zilch.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:29 AM

60 posts, read 203,518 times
I agree with the previous poster, it is definitely a management degree. I have seen many RNs get a degree in Health Admin and move up the ladder quicker because they have those credentials. But for someone without previous healthcare experience it will be tough and you will be making a lower wage until you work your way up. You need a masters w/experience before you start making the top dollars. Many of the BHA degree holders at my hospital work as admin. assistants or in admitting.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 104,666 times
I been a Cna for 10yrs and I also have Accountant experience,Data entry and customer service now im taking classes for my Healthcare Service Administration Degree. I would like to see if someone think if that a good field for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities