Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 AM

22 posts, read 29,557 times

Advertisements

Where to start? I applied to UT-Austin out of high school and got rejected ( I was 4 spots away from being top 10%). I didn't like A&M and as I was turned down by every other school (Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Tulane) The last and only choice was Baylor U. which I had not even heard of nor thought of but through some random choice had checked its box when filling out the Texas Common Application. So I went. And got a culture shock. I grew up in the inner city of San Antonio. Moving to Waco was..is suffocating. I am miserable here even now. The society is very different. Instead of transferring immediately I stayed on because I don't like being a quitter. (I know I was an idiot who should have known better to stay.) My first semester was a horrible one, a 2.8 GPA. Now it was too late as my chances of getting in somewhere decent was ruined. So I endured for two more years. I am now in the last half of my junior year looking at graduation this time next year. Currently I am at 3.49 GPA cumulative. I would say that my chances of transferring to UT Austin are greater than better, but should I do it? It would prob take me at least another year but UT is better ranked and the cost of one year at Baylor is 10,000 in loans and 10,000 in payments. (pretty much two at UT) My plans are: get a poly sci/ env studies degree. After my first bachelor's I am planning for a environmental engineering degree from Texas A&M Kingsville.Then I plan to move to Washington state sometime after that, which would help me there, staying or trying to transfer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 02:04 AM

41 posts, read 153,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite23 View Post
Currently I am at 3.49 GPA cumulative. I would say that my chances of transferring to UT Austin are greater than better, but should I do it? It would prob take me at least another year but UT is better ranked and the cost of one year at Baylor is 10,000 in loans and 10,000 in payments. (pretty much two at UT) My plans are: get a poly sci/ env studies degree. After my first bachelor's I am planning for a environmental engineering degree from Texas A&M Kingsville.Then I plan to move to Washington state sometime after that, which would help me there, staying or trying to transfer?

It sounds like you're planning to get a second bachelors in engineering after the first. If you using student loans now, how will you pay for a second bachelors, because financial aid is usuaully not available for 2nd bachelors degree? Paying cash per semester can be difficult at a 4 year college taking a full time load.

If your happiness will be found at another college and with another major, then you should transfer and change major to engineering now. The final result will be an engineering degree from the college you seem to want to attend while still being able to use financial aid.

Why are there no paragraphs in your writing?

Old 02-17-2012, 07:15 AM

22 posts, read 29,557 times
Default Thanks

I did this quickly on a whim. I was thinking a degree in government would get me some extra points if I want to work in a government agency.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:07 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,906,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kite23 View Post
I did this quickly on a whim. I was thinking a degree in government would get me some extra points if I want to work in a government agency.
It sounds like you've done a few things on a whim.

It only takes a few seconds to look at a federal job application and see what earns points and what doesn't. Are you willing to make a 10k mistake and possibly derail your career and the rest of your life, just to save the little time it would take to investigate what it takes to get a government job?

As for whether or not transferring now would help you get any kind of job anywhere in Washington state at any time in the rest of your life?.....who knows. There are too many variables to be able to answer that, even at a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities