Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 03:26 PM

665 posts, read 1,239,951 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have a political science degree, but now I am realizing that it is not a lucrative degree. but all the lucrative degree's require tough math. I have gotten all A's in college and high school but I failed all three levels of algebra, which is why my GPA is only 3.2.

what lucrative field can i get a degree or trained in that does not require math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 04:22 PM

23,864 posts, read 32,125,181 times
A lot depends upon what YOU think of as "lucrative." You will get no argument from me in terms of believing that you just can't learn math. Have you heard of dyscalculia? It sound as though that might be the problem.
Off the top of my head I could offer a few suggestions - Law
- Social Work (MSW) or (DSW)
- A PhD is your field - or another that is
" Math Free" - You will be able to teach at
the University level
- Library Science (Master's Levl)
- Master's in Higher Education Services
Trains you to work at a University setting
as an Admissions Director, College
Administration, Student Relations, etc.
- Mental Health Counselor
Do any of these interest you? I'm sure their are others. In your undergrad Poly Sci Program did you need to take statistics? If you did and you were able to pass stat, which some people with dysnumeria can deal with and others can't. That would open up even more options.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:31 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,422,126 times
Marketing
Music
Environment
Business
Web Developer
Graphic Designer

Old 02-28-2012, 05:14 PM

70 posts, read 234,972 times
If you're not good get good. Practice, practice, practice!

I had to start from the very bottom (pre-algebra), and I passed with a B. I was so shocked because I always thought I wasn't a math person. To top it off, I work full-time, so I don't have much time to dedicate to my studies. I take one class per semester, and that's how I manage to get good grades. It's a very slow process, but I don't want to go to school full-time.

After pre-algebra, I moved on to elementary algebra and I got a B in that class as well. I'm now in intermediate algebra, and I'm aiming for an A. My math professor tells us that there's no such thing as not being a math person, you can get good you just have to practice a lot and go to the tutoring center for help. That's what I'm doing, and it's helping me tremendously!

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:21 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,027,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Marketing
Music
Environment
Business
Web Developer
Graphic Designer
There's not a chance of getting a good MBA if you can't do math to do well on the GMAT and completely shifting to web developer or graphic designer makes no sense.

Get an MPA or MPP and you can easily find a very good job in a government office at the city or state level with very little math required. You'll have to learn statistics but you won't have to take GMAT.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,265,840 times
can you just not do math? or just don't do it easily or well?

just a suggestion, but can you take one introductory math class at a time in a no pressure environment? can you rule out a learning disorder IRT math?

it is hard to think of any lucrative career that doesn't include math somewhere along the way.

i speak as one who had to overcome my fear of math. I still don't grasp the intuitive side of understanding math but I can work through the formulas, can prepare grapics, etc. And I work every step of the problem Admire those who can see right to the answer or can take shortcuts to the right answer but as long as I get there.... is life

Old 02-28-2012, 05:36 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,422,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
There's not a chance of getting a good MBA if you can't do math to do well on the GMAT and completely shifting to web developer or graphic designer makes no sense.

Get an MPA or MPP and you can easily find a very good job in a government office at the city or state level with very little math required. You'll have to learn statistics but you won't have to take GMAT.

Did I say MBA?

I addressed:

Quote:
what lucrative field can i get a degree or trained in that does not require math.
Many people who have no business in Web Development or Graphic Design,but are making money doing them.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:40 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,766,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
Hello, I have a political science degree, but now I am realizing that it is not a lucrative degree. but all the lucrative degree's require tough math. I have gotten all A's in college and high school but I failed all three levels of algebra, which is why my GPA is only 3.2.

Try a degree in Public Relations. They're in demand and you don't need to take any math courses I don't think.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 PM

328 posts, read 989,277 times
Supply Management is lucrative, especially once you have been in the field for a while. It doesn't require a whole lot of math.

http://www.ism.ws/files/tools/2010is...urveybrief.pdf

Old 02-28-2012, 06:21 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,027,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Did I say MBA?

I addressed:

Many people who have no business in Web Development or Graphic Design,but are making money doing them.
You said marketing and business as two of your options and he's asking what to get a degree in. Last I checked a degree in Marketing or Business is an MBA. KKTNX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities